You May Say I’m a Reamer, Am I the Only One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
My pipes do not build much cake - I'm not entirely sure why not. I smoke most genres. Could it be because I have over thirty pipes in regular rotation?

When little annoying lumps of cake do develop, I use the reamer in the pic [Won these pipe tools and reamer on ebay for $9.50usd]
Not sure what brand it is but it does the job.
It's not easy to see in the sellers pic but each 'blade' has a sharp outward curving edge.

5 x pipe tool 1 x reamer $9.50usd.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I know some of y’all have a romantic relationship with your cake. And I respect it. To each his own. Love the one you’re with. But I find too much cake keeps me from distinguishing the taste of various blends.

Had been using my little Czech spoon to tackle cake, with varying degrees of success. Finally bit the bullet yesterday and plunked down a whole $10 bill on this el cheapo reamer. Took me all 10 seconds to conclude this is a much superior way of handling things. I’m happy.
View attachment 144070
The reader in your photo came with a pipe kit I bought (and highly recommend for about $25 - the bag, pouch, and tools were worth the price of admission and another $10 gets you a decent looking pear wood pipe).

I used the reader on occassion and it is fool proof if used slow. Every day maintenance is a paper towel and pipe cleaner.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
A thin layer of cake I've found improves performance and is all I need. Too much can damage a pipe, I was told.
I don't smoke as much these days and am pretty reliable at running a "U" shaped pipe cleaner 'round the bowl so reaming isn't the issue for me that it used to be.
I did ream a thickly caked Peterson 606 with a Czech tool once, and so badly gouged the bowl it threatened to burn out. I made a repair with pipe mortar and so far it's held up.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I have a couple of different reamers, but I only use them on pipe restorations. For the most part, my post smoking routine prevents excessive cake buildup. If it starts getting a little thicker than I like, I gently remove it with an old timer pocket knife that has a nice round nose, short blade that is easy to control. A little 220 sandpaper works too.

Last edited:

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Now that I have a couple of briar pipes, I use the hot water technique, and the paper napkin, as soon as I finish smoking. Smoking and cleaning. I have been correcting some habits, techniques, or whatever you want to call it. Thanks to this forum, I am still learning to be a decent smoker.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
When I first started pipe smoking I used the pipe cleaner in bowl method. As I started buying estate pipes I wound up acquiring every tool mentioned here. I have found the pipnet to be the easiest and most effective to get down to briar. Now, I just use a Czech tool spoon lightly after smoking. I do like a thin cake.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
But on a new pipe I just bend a bristled pipe cleaner and scrub down the sides. Never gotten any on pipes I've bought new. Estates are a different monster.
My first foray into ebay when I started building a rotation of pipes, I bought two estates that turned out to be crap.
What a waste of money.
From that point on the only estates I've bought were lightly used and professionally cleaned.
Ironically I won them for far cheaper than the two crappy pipes.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When I first started pipe smoking I used the pipe cleaner in bowl method. As I started buying estate pipes I wound up acquiring every tool mentioned here. I have found the pipnet to be the easiest and most effective to get down to briar. Now, I just use a Czech tool spoon lightly after smoking. I do like a thin cake.
Although I don't build cake per se, all of my briars have a rather hard very thin layer of, well although I guess that technically speaking it's cake, it's not friable like cake.
It's most probably a baked mixture of oils from tobacco and carbon.
It protects the briar so for that reason I'd not ever take it back to bare.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Although I don't build cake per se, all of my briars have a rather hard very thin layer of, well although I guess that technically speaking it's cake, it's not friable like cake.
It's most probably a baked mixture of oils from tobacco and carbon.
It protects the briar so for that reason I'd not ever take it back to bare.
I went to seminary and finished around 60 graduate hours there. My wife has a PhD. And I’m still learning from you fine gentleman. I literally just learned the word “friable” from this post. Had never seen it before, and I’ve read A LOT. i appreciate you making me smarter.

And I’m totally gonna spend this whole week looking for opportunities to use friable, and then acting a little smug when my IRL friends don’t know what it means. Just a little smug though. ?

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Now that I have a couple of briar pipes, I use the hot water technique, and the paper napkin, as soon as I finish smoking. Smoking and cleaning. I have been correcting some habits, techniques, or whatever you want to call it. Thanks to this forum, I am still learning to be a decent smoker.
I water flush about once a month, but I’ve seen some on here note that they do every night. I’ve also learned there’s some strong & opposing opinions on this practice. Lol.