You May Say I’m a Reamer, Am I the Only One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Recognize this reamer? It's been around for years and you can still buy them. I have one I use all the time, but it's a little different from the new ones. It looks the same at first glance but there is a difference. I picked up mine about 20 years ago with a pipe collection I bought. It had been a gift to the owner and he never used it, so it was new in the box. If you compare it to a new one you can tell the workmanship is better and (I suspect) the steel is better. The cool thing about it is it was made in the U.S.A. back in the 1950s. puffy

001-002-0010.jpeg

billinrio

Lurker
Jun 7, 2017
Recognize this reamer? It's been around for years and you can still buy them. I have one I use all the time, but it's a little different from the new ones. It looks the same at first glance but there is a difference. I picked up mine about 20 years ago with a pipe collection I bought. It had been a gift to the owner and he never used it, so it was new in the box. If you compare it to a new one you can tell the workmanship is better and (I suspect) the steel is better. The cool thing about it is it was made in the U.S.A. back in the 1950s. puffy

View attachment 144264
I have one of these. I like the small drill bit inside for keeping shanks clear.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

View attachment 144264
I picked up a used tool like this and it is one of the "old" ones. Fantastic for "real" cake that one tends to find on estate "specials". Strong material and good craftsmanship & design.
I originally used a tool like the OP for said task, but it wasn't up to par for actual heavy duty cake removal. It broke from the effort on an estate pipe, as it was a "new" one made of cheaper material, fastenings, and had rounded edges. I purchased another one for very gentle removal of sticky particles and bumpy edges, and it works fine on more of a maintenance basis.

Reactions: kcghost and dctune

JocoPack

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
My post-smoke routine is using one of the little chamber brushed pretty aggressively along with a pipe cleaner for dottle/stem cleaning. Granted I’ve only been smoking for a few months so I’m not sure how effective my cleaning method is in reducing cake long term. 26FB962A-20A7-4E24-9DDC-85758F2DC923.jpeg

Reactions: dctune and FLDRD