Ye Olde Tobacconist Shoppe, The Way Things Once Were (image heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm just old enough to remember the childhood days when the druggist (pharmacy here in the US) was not just a place to get prescriptions filled or to get OTC medical supplies or beauty aids but many of them were left over from the old days and had a soda counter inside where you could get ice cream, a malted or candy. There were also those clip on pipe displays and boy do I wish I could transport myself back in time and get to see all that again. Seeing all these images not only makes me a bit sad that they are all but gone but also gets me to thinking about some of the every day conversation that must have gone on in those old tobacconist shops, I'll bet it would've been something to take in.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
One pharmacy in my hometown maintained its 1950s-era soda fountain into this century, but I do not remember that pharmacy ever carrying tobacco or pipes. I will never get to experience that old pharmacy/druggist atmosphere.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Troy:
I do love these photographs. But I was struck that more than a few - dating back over a year - offered hair styles as well.
The Allan Stillitoe piece that Bob posted killed. My sons know Albert Finney as the well aged bad guy or avuncular family member he plays so well in today's movies but neither recognized him at the 1:21 mark in that clip.
Thank you for your research and posting these pix. They're wonderful.
Fnord

May 31, 2012
tm3WTHE.jpg

pVCJSFd.jpg

Apx2Hpm.jpg

jEoPm5L.jpg

f4mlIl6.jpg

Ny8zPpT.jpg

pQ4zSqI.jpg

8lpyeVz.jpg
bdCG8nj.jpg

mzhertB.jpg

d6LZ1Ii.jpg

zIgSy0L.jpg

lRmAfmb.jpg

31NiUd4.jpg

aDWPxtl.jpg

iQQLKhG.jpg

cbtYXs2.jpg
9wNkwnz.jpg

LLUSYzh.jpg

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
This really is an amazing thread. I'm continuously in awe of the number and quality of the photos.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I wonder why the ladies were lined up around the block?
Ssjones, were cigarettes rationed during the war(WWII)?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I wonder why the ladies were lined up around the block?
Ssjones, were cigarettes rationed during the war(WWII)?
Shop also says "confectioner". Sugar was rationed, so I'm guessing they're lined up to buy that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I remember seeing shops like that but they were rare. With the rise of the convenience store, the tobacconist disappeared and everyone switched to easier cigarettes from difficult pipes and cigars. Like everything else, the great dumbing-down.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Another great set, misterlowercase. Like they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words." But a set of pictures in a certain order surely must equal a novel's worth of words.

Status
Not open for further replies.