New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live on the North side of Indianapolis. Order your $1000 worth of tobacco, send it to me, I won't even open it. Arrive at my house, smoke a bowl or two of tobacco with me and enjoy a bourbon, even spend the night in one of the spare bedrooms if you wish. Pack a couple of boxes in your trunk, return home. If the helicopters track you and the jack booted thugs arrest you ... I've never heard of you. :col:

I have to say: I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Unfortunately, purchasing from vendors not licensed in the state (bordering state, internet, mailorder) all carry the same penalties: Tobacco tax (of course), 500% of the tax, seizure of products, seizure of vehicle if used to transport the tobacco, and 5yrs prison/$5000 fine.
don't quote me on this but a few tins aren't going to get you nicked. They're going to be looking for people who are buying in bulk with the express intention of resale. Which is an actual issue.

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
So you border 3 states, Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin by land. But there is also Minnesota across the lake. Lots of Scandinavians settled there in Minnesota. Ancestors of the vikings. They know how to build sturdy and efficient watercraft. I suggest you take up pirate smuggling across Lake Superior. Yarr. Tis a good plan I tell ye.
This is a very sound and reasonable plan. I say this as a pipe smoking Minnesotan.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
As a matter of fact, a law, in order to be one, must have as its purpose the wellbeing of everyone—i.e. it has to be in full concordance with Natural Law. When a law is serving only some at the expense of others, i.e. when it has ceased to be in harmony with Natural Law, then it ceases to be a law—it becomes a mere regulation—and we are no longer morally obligated to follow it. In fact, some laws regulations are so bad that we are morally obligated to oppose them.

The natural law arguments are a very 18th century way of looking at the world. I think you've been reading too much John Locke and Rousseau.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Unfortunately, purchasing from vendors not licensed in the state (bordering state, internet, mailorder) all carry the same penalties: Tobacco tax (of course), 500% of the tax, seizure of products, seizure of vehicle if used to transport the tobacco, and 5yrs prison/$5000 fine.
Has anyone been prosecuted for this?
I’m assuming the The State is using sales tax data garnered through credit card sales to identify culprits. I’m not one to advocate tax evasion, but there are alternate payment methods that would avoid the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I think you are placing way too much faith that Barney Fife is going to figure out that you had someone ship you tobacco, or that you drove to a neighboring state to pick it up from a friend. Michigan has no customs you have to clear it with. Hell, Lee Von Erck, the pipe maker, lives in northern Michigan, he buys tobacco at shows and brings it back with him.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Given my very limited knowledge of ICC regulations, the State of Michigan is out of line legally as well as spritually. (as if they cared)
Well, I don't live in the US, so don't quote me, but there's plenty of illegality in the US's legality, by the looks of it. Somewhere I read that a number of these tax schemes are actually unconstitutional, such as the collection of taxes from stuff you buy outside your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.