PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hey all. Been working to build my cellar prior to the real or imagined increase in difficulty in procuring tobacco in the future. I enjoy both pipes and cigars, so I'm building stashes of each. I'm lamenting the fact that the state I'm now in has outlawed purchasing any form of tobacco online, and I have to rely on what is in our local B&M has in stock (and I AM thankful they exist at all). They have stuff from G.L. Pease, C&D, Orlik, Peterson and Esoterica (yep, got a lot of Margate, And So To Bed, Ramsgate and Stonehaven from them.....), but not a very wide selection. The average GLP tin goes for $18....a far cry from SPC or P&C.

For those of you lucky enough to be able to buy pipe tobacco and cigars online, please do not take this ability for granted. 5 Tins of premium tobacco for $45 online (pre-tax), or less on sale, is fully half what we folks in restricted states have to pay. I'm fully aware that this is much less than Australia, Canada and Europe, but after having a "golden age" so to speak in the US for so long, it's unpleasant to deal with this sort of increase.

Guess I needed to vent.....hell, at least I have a good B&M. Currently looking at my stash with longing as I recently had oral surgery (twice, for different, minor things) and have been on 3 weeks of no pipes/cigars per procedure....for a total of 6 weeks off. I figure if I can't smoke my pipes/cigars, I'll use the time rearranging my cellar and buying more while I can.

CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
How difficult would it be to have $1000 worth of tobacco shipped to a relative or friend in another state, then have them ship it to you? Or have a relative/friend in a bordering state that you ship to and then drive to pick up? Sounds to me like you don't really have a problem just an inconvenience.

Unfortunately, purchasing from vendors not licensed in the state (bordering state, internet, mailorder) all carry the same penalties: Tobacco tax (of course), 500% of the tax, seizure of products, seizure of vehicle if used to transport the tobacco, and 5yrs prison/$5000 fine.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Unfortunately, purchasing from vendors not licensed in the state (bordering state, internet, mailorder) all carry the same penalties: Tobacco tax (of course), 500% of the tax, seizure of products, seizure of vehicle if used to transport the tobacco, and 5yrs prison/$5000 fine.

For good pipe tobacco it might be worth the odds. Hell... I boarder Mexico, you should see what comes across that imaginary line.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Is law actually being enforced against people buying personal amounts of tobacco? Seems like they'd be more concerned with commercial operations than your average pipe smoker buying a dozen tins or something. Anyway, that's all between you, the state and the God of your choice.

$18 for a GLP tin is not ideal, but you it's definitely not the worst. Does your B&M keep a good selection, at least?

Reactions: Bengel

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Is law actually being enforced against people buying personal amounts of tobacco? Seems like they'd be more concerned with commercial operations than your average pipe smoker buying a dozen tins or something. Anyway, that's all between you, the state and the God of your choice.

$18 for a GLP tin is not ideal, but you it's definitely not the worst. Does your B&M keep a good selection, at least?

Yes, folks are getting enforcement letters. Our B&M has a fairly limited selection, unfortunately. They cater more to the cigar world.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
That's a bummer. Maybe your B&M can help you out with special requests if they don't have something in stock? I've never done that, but I've noted that on some B&M websites where they suggest contacting them if you want something they don't have. Maybe you might be expected to buy a certain quantity or something, but worth a shot.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
That's a bummer. Maybe your B&M can help you out with special requests if they don't have something in stock? I've never done that, but I've noted that on some B&M websites where they suggest contacting them if you want something they don't have. Maybe you might be expected to buy a certain quantity or something, but worth a shot.

I'll probably work the B&M pretty hard. They're a good shop, have a cigar/bourbon lounge, and they DO do special orders. Pricey, but I enjoy supporting the dwindling B&Ms in the US.

all carry the same penalties: Tobacco tax (of course), 500% of the tax, seizure of products, seizure of vehicle if used to transport the tobacco, and 5yrs prison/$5000 fine.
So, if you drive across the state line with your order that you had shipped to another PO, you are afraid that your vehicle will be spotted, searched, and you will get prison time? What the hell is keeping you in that state?

My state actually passed a law saying that they will start enforcing traffic violations on the interstate, and I was looking at properties in another state that evening. Luckily, it is virtually impossible to actually police the interstate. No one drives the speed limit, ever. Except that one old guy that everyone flips off as they drive by who is actually scared that he will somehow get a ticket with everybody else in the world flying by him at 90+ MPH.
Are you that one guy? puffy

Last edited:

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
So, if you drive across the state line with your order that you had shipped to another PO, you are afraid that your vehicle will be spotted, searched, and you will get prison time? What the hell is keeping you in that state?

My state actually passed a law saying that they will start enforcing traffic violations on the interstate, and I was looking at properties in another state that evening. Luckily, it is virtually impossible to actually police the interstate. No one drives the speed limit, ever. Except that one old guy that everyone flips off as they drive by who is actually scared that he will somehow get a ticket with everybody else in the world flying by him at 90+ MPH.
Are you that one guy? puffy

I am not that guy. LOL. My wife knows that as she hangs on for dear life.......

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Which state is that, or which states are those, so people planning a move for a job or retirement can have fair warning? If you reject a move, write the governor's office of the offending state and let them know what you think.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Where do you live, Moscow or Beijing? What do you think the chances of you being caught and prosecuted if you were driving home with $1000 worth of pipe tobacco in your trunk? You realize that would fit inside of a medium sized suitcase I hope. "Officer, I didn't know how long I was going to be gone so I made sure I took plenty with me when I left home."

Status
Not open for further replies.