PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Wait a minute, since when has Michigan banned importing tobacco? This is news to me.

I'm from Michigan and purchased well over $1,000 of tobacco in 8 months and not once received a letter.

I currently live in South Korea but went home for a wedding in August, and came home to this.

Also, what B&M are you talking about? The closest one to my parents house where I stay when I'm home is Paul's Pipe Shop up in Flint.

As far as I know, the only states that have banned internet sales are Washington and now Utah.

I use my check-card online and have not received any notifications whatsoever. My father get's my mail and he usually is good about notifying me if anything "ireggular" comes through the mail. He was surprised at the amount of packages arriving at the house. I had well over 40 boxes, about 30 of them containing tobacco.

Also, I can't seem to find any information of which you have stated regarding this matter doing a search on the web. I'm curious as to where you found this information.

Attachments

• Tobacco.jpg
    Tobacco.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Wait a minute, since when has Michigan banned importing tobacco? This is news to me.

I'm from Michigan and purchased well over $1,000 of tobacco in 8 months and not once received a letter.

I currently live in South Korea but went home for a wedding in August, and came home to this.

Also, what B&M are you talking about? The closest one to my parents house where I stay when I'm home is Paul's Pipe Shop up in Flint.

As far as I know, the only states that have banned internet sales are Washington and now Utah.

I use my check-card online and have not received any notifications whatsoever. My father get's my mail and he usually is good about notifying me if anything "ireggular" comes through the mail. He was surprised at the amount of packages arriving at the house. I had well over 40 boxes, about 30 of them containing tobacco.

Also, I can't seem to find any information of which you have stated regarding this matter doing a search on the web. I'm curious as to where you found this information.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Thanks for the information.

I find this very interesting but until Michigan completely bans internet sales of tobacco, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

It doesn't say it's illegal, it just says "violates" the act from almost 30 years ago. From what I can gather, my vehicles over the years been violated by the poor Michigan roads which I have paid taxes on, so who's really at fault here?

I know one other piper in Michigan who purchases online and they have not received any letters.

cwpiperman, I applaud you for supporting your local B&M, but I am sure you are not throwing up any red flags by purchasing a few tins on the internet. I've made purchases from the top 5 online internet pipe tobacco sites,, somtimes 3 or 4 within a month, orders ranging from as low as $30 and the most at $170. All have gotten through with no problem and have never received any government warning of violation of this supposed tax act.

Also, what B&M are you referring to in Michigan? I'd like to add it to the list of B&M's on my "to go to" list.

Reactions: artvandelay007

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Why don't you just get a pre-paid credit card in a different name and have everything mailed to your address under that name?

I predict a time in not so many years where people will exchange gift cards for tobacco sales.

Surveillance of all kinds is only increasing because it is only getting easier to do. Mostly because consumers and citizens are going along with it. That's your choice to make.

I personally don't do anything illegal (at least nothing I would go to prison for), but I certainly take some precaution to protect my identity when it matters to me. I also actively support my right to privacy in a few different ways, only because I think it is important and we are having those rights revoked in many countries without much discussion about what that is going to mean for us.

This particular tobacco issue is just one more small knock on effect.

I guess what I am saying is that I can see why some people will follow any letter of the law, once it has been laid down, because that is how they view the world. Fair enough. That's been the case for millennia, for some folks.

I have a slightly different take on it and if I'm not causing you or anyone else harm, I'm not likely to obey something just because I've been told to. We could spend years going through all of the unjust laws that have been actively disobeyed. And some were for a damn good reason.

There are many ways to sidestep your problem right now. I'd be more worried about the fact that you need to take measures to get around it, rather than the problem itself, which seems to be fairly trivial right now.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Right, and isn't it time someone brought up Nazis in a post? We're well over the predicted post count now.

Of course, I'm not comparing this to Nazi Germany. But, I'm reminded of a story I heard about a town in Germany or Poland that had paper archives of the Jewish community. Before they could get their hands on the archive, someone had the amazing sense to burn it to the ground so that the Nazis would not have that information.

I tried to find a reference to that story, but failed. I'm pretty sure of my memory of it though.

In any case, before the Nazi party took over Germany, no Jewish person was ever thinking "Damn, my religion is on record in the Rathaus!"

Fast forward a few years, and with some unexpected developments, then suddenly it is a matter of life and death.

None of this is ever important until it is. As for your privacy and a government tracking your purchases to your door (among many other things) - I can easily imagine a future where that's going to be something people wish didn't exist. Just something to think about.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
troyniss: With your attitude I'd strongly suggest setting aside some moneys. When it's time to pay the piper it will be costly if you are on the list.

You're just funnin' us with the above right? Please say yes!

No, I'm not. It just strikes me that this has been around for so long and I am just now hearing about it. I've posted the information to another website and will get some more information on it.

My guess is why I haven't been sent anything yet is that I'm using an overseas card, and payment is via a third party company.

Wait, none of you are an undercover ATF agent,....... right?

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Right, and isn't it time someone brought up Nazis in a post? We're well over the predicted post count now.

Of course, I'm not comparing this to Nazi Germany. But, I'm reminded of a story I heard about a town in Germany or Poland that had paper archives of the Jewish community. Before they could get their hands on the archive, someone had the amazing sense to burn it to the ground so that the Nazis would not have that information.

I tried to find a reference to that story, but failed. I'm pretty sure of my memory of it though.

In any case, before the Nazi party took over Germany, no Jewish person was ever thinking "Damn, my religion is on record in the Rathaus!"

Fast forward a few years, and with some unexpected developments, then suddenly it is a matter of life and death.

None of this is ever important until it is. As for your privacy and a government tracking your purchases to your door (among many other things) - I can easily imagine a future where that's going to be something people wish didn't exist. Just something to think about.

This trickle changes to society is what I fear for generations to come. The fine print is so fine these days that I think the US government is starting to hand out bi-focal rose colored glasses for free now.

Does it upset me that there are laws regarding online tobacco sales and I'm violating them? Yes. Will I stop? Not a chance. Considering I've had no problem yet, and if in any case I do, I am sure I'll get a warning first. Then I'll weigh my options.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I removed a few, thinking it was pretty daring at the time. Now I think the tags can be removed without danger of being sent to the Gulag. Just can't sell 'em without the tags.

Reactions: 3rdguy

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for all the great and thoughtful answers to my OP. The whole situation is ludicrous, but it is what it is. I suppose we all need to do what we feel we need to to keep our hand in and our pipes full!

CW

Status
Not open for further replies.