PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Here’s the follow through and ACTUAL strike of the ball.....(which they’ve tried to scrub)View attachment 184993
Bottom of the ball doesn’t mean anything. It’s a sphere. The edge of the ball can easily still be on the line while there is clearly grass visible at the bottom. The very fact that people are arguing over it actually makes it clear that it was the correct call. VAR has to have clear evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
And here’s how Fox (Just FIFA yes men) covered the Uruguay controversy; by misleading people on WHY Uruguay feels cheated. They intentionally mislead people thinking the non call at ‘92 was the point of contention. They KNOW it was in fact the foul at ‘59 on Nunez, in the box. So egregious that VAR called down to the ref to take a second look since he initially thought the Ghanan player got ball. VAR clearly shows that’s not the case, and ref stubbornly stuck to the non call. Here’s how Fox covered it 👎 blatantly lying about the incident in question.

“In the 92nd minute of stoppage time, Uruguay’s captain, Edinson Cavani, thought he was fouled in the penalty area and should have received a penalty kick. But German referee Daniel Siebert did not award Uruguay and Cavani a penalty kick, and play continued.”

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Netherlands vs. U.S. was the first game I watched. NED was masterful in the 3-1 win, controlling the ball and slowing the game when it suited them. The young U.S. team kept fighting, unable to score on its opportunities except once, but showing spirit and energy throughout the game. The U.S. was just outclassed by experience and strategy. Without their energy, it would have been a dull game and a somewhat hollow victory. As it was, it was a great day for The Netherlands and a master class for the U.S. team. Having been there at the World Cup, the U.S. players should be more seasoned and knowing in their careers and in any future World Cup games.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Here’s the follow through and ACTUAL strike of the ball.....(which they’ve tried to scrub)View attachment 184993
The first picture looks like the frame before. About 1/3 or the ball looks on the correct side of the line thus making the decision easy. The second one looks more like what has been circulated where millimetres are what has been discussed. Show me time stamps and some clear evidence of fraud. You can't. Show me evidence of suppression up of the other image. You can't.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
If the Dutch play like they did today its game over next match.
I hope not. I want to see the strongest sides progress as far as possible to foil and England win. Despite my wife being from England and not caring about football I can't be doing with an England win. When checking the score of the Japan v Spain game the commentators were talking about 1966, and Germany losing out to balls crossing/not crossing lines.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇳🇱

Jun 9, 2018
England
I hope not. I want to see the strongest sides progress as far as possible to foil and England win. Despite my wife being from England and not caring about football I can't be doing with an England win. When checking the score of the Japan v Spain game the commentators were talking about 1966, and Germany losing out to balls crossing/not crossing lines.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇳🇱
LOL! Are you part of the salty Scottish "anyone but England" group? 😂.

I do understand though. Scotland haven't reached a World Cup since 1998 so it has gotta hurt to see England continually getting to the finals. If the boot was on the other foot (pardon the pun) i'd feel exactly the same way.

I have no love for the Scottish football team but I do wanna see them make it to the World Cup/Euros because when we play them it adds something. Our game at the last Euros was a big let down but I still love it when we play Scotland as it doesn't happen much, anymore. We used to play every year when we had the British Home Championship.

Remember when you lot beat us at Wembley in 1977? You won the BHC and then decided to celebrate by invading the pitch and breaking the goal posts? 😆

Love playing the "auld enemy". We had some revenge at Euro 96 though. Good old Gazza. Incredible bit of skill.

Your wish may well come true. If we win tonight we've got France and Mbappé in the quarter finals 😬.

I'll leave you with this because it's most definitely coming home. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🦁🦁🦁🏆💪

Jun 23, 2019
And here’s how Fox (Just FIFA yes men) covered the Uruguay controversy; by misleading people on WHY Uruguay feels cheated. They intentionally mislead people thinking the non call at ‘92 was the point of contention. They KNOW it was in fact the foul at ‘59 on Nunez, in the box. So egregious that VAR called down to the ref to take a second look since he initially thought the Ghanan player got ball. VAR clearly shows that’s not the case, and ref stubbornly stuck to the non call. Here’s how Fox covered it 👎 blatantly lying about the incident in question.

“In the 92nd minute of stoppage time, Uruguay’s captain, Edinson Cavani, thought he was fouled in the penalty area and should have received a penalty kick. But German referee Daniel Siebert did not award Uruguay and Cavani a penalty kick, and play continued.”

FWIW Fox's broadcast has been a solid D-; I can see their incompetence causing a lot of misunderstandings/confusion. It's the classic malicious or oblivious debate: I don't think the Fox commentators were "blatantly lying" but just don't know enough about football to actually explain what they're seeing.

(Yes, you would expect more from Donovan, Dempsey and Lalas, but then again they all predicted the US to win with a clean sheet against Netherlands...)

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Is this subtle Dutch sarcasm?

I highly doubt Argentina is going to be as defensively mindless and offensively toothless as the US.
Subtle isn't in our vocabulary by nature, but maybe let me refrase what I said.

Maybe I'm more salty than I should. I saw some interesting statistic: 1.3 tries on the goal for every goal, Germany and Belgium shot a lot (more than 8 tries per goal) more but didn't had as much ball possession. Johan Cruyff was always famous for his "if you have the ball the opponent doesn't have it" quotes and that might happen here. But against Argentina you can not play around the ball like they did the past matches, admitting the first goal was great in regards of passing. I hope the backs will be as good, that could spark some opportunity. But let's face it, 2010 and 2014 we didn't have the best selection and still reached into the last rounds.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
FWIW Fox's broadcast has been a solid D-; I can see their incompetence causing a lot of misunderstandings/confusion. It's the classic malicious or oblivious debate: I don't think the Fox commentators were "blatantly lying" but just don't know enough about football to actually explain what they're seeing.

(Yes, you would expect more from Donovan, Dempsey and Lalas, but then again they all predicted the US to win with a clean sheet against Netherlands...)
How do you confuse the ‘59 Nunez penalty and the uproar it caused with VAR calling down to the pitch for a review, and the ref STILL saying “nope, despite defender not touching ball, I see it as he did touch ball”; with the relative non issue Cavani non call in the ‘92??? It’s purposefully misleading people.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Football is not the territory of reason, but no one with a minimum of impartiality can consider that they can overcome the group stage by scoring 2 goals in 3 games.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Maybe I'm more salty than I should. I saw some interesting statistic: 1.3 tries on the goal for every goal, Germany and Belgium shot a lot (more than 8 tries per goal) more but didn't had as much ball possession. Johan Cruyff was always famous for his "if you have the ball the opponent doesn't have it" quotes and that might happen here. But against Argentina you can not play around the ball like they did the past matches, admitting the first goal was great in regards of passing. I hope the backs will be as good, that could spark some opportunity. But let's face it, 2010 and 2014 we didn't have the best selection and still reached into the last rounds.
The Netherlands are Bitter. They have had the best selection in many world cups. Anyone in Argentina will tell you that the 1974 Clockwork Orange is one of the greatest teams of all time. Even so, I think they are the team that has played the most finals without becoming champion. I don't know if they have the necessary spirit to be.
Also anyone in Argentina would rather play against the USA than the Netherlands.

Jun 9, 2018
England
England rode their luck a bit in the first 30 minutes but once the first goal went in we looked in control.

France on Saturday will be a different prospect. Southgate needs to come up with a game plan to try and stop Mbappé. The way he played today he looked different class.

This is what you want when you get to a World Cup. Reigning champions France in the quarter finals 🥳

Jun 23, 2019

I'd be interested to see Argentina's wing speed vs your back line. Should be a fantastic match!

Jun 23, 2019
England rode their luck a bit in the first 30 minutes but once the first goal went in we looked in control.

France on Saturday will be a different prospect. Southgate needs to come up with a game plan to try and stop Mbappé. The way he played today he looked different class.

This is what you want when you get to a World Cup. Reigning champions France in the quarter finals 🥳

England - France should be an instant classic. The star names on the team sheet will be eye watering!

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
The Netherlands are Bitter. They have had the best selection in many world cups. Anyone in Argentina will tell you that the 1974 Clockwork Orange is one of the greatest teams of all time. Even so, I think they are the team that has played the most finals without becoming champion. I don't know if they have the necessary spirit to be.
Also anyone in Argentina would rather play against the USA than the Netherlands.
Argentina and Netherlands are tied with 3 lost finals each. 70's squad was great with 2 finals in that decade. For sure Argentina would have a preference to play team USA.

But well see on Friday what the coach has pulled out of his hat. Maybe I'm to negative.

Reactions: LotusEater

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night's England/Senegal match (my third watch of the world cup) was the most interesting yet.

The first half of the first half England looked to be on the back foot but then suddenly found another gear and then their game picked up accordingly.

I have no idea what France are like as a team but I'll be watching that match for sure.

I've never been a footie fan (I watched one match of the Euros I think and that was my first ever) and I never will be, but I found myself punching the air whenever we scored yesterday.

Regards,

Jay.

Jun 23, 2019
Last night's England/Senegal match (my third watch of the world cup) was the most interesting yet.

The first half of the first half England looked to be on the back foot but then suddenly found another gear and then their game picked up accordingly.

I have no idea what France are like as a team but I'll be watching that match for sure.

I've never been a footie fan (I watched one match of the Euros I think and that was my first ever) and I never will be, but I found myself punching the air whenever we scored yesterday.

Regards,

Jay.

England did everything they could in the first 30min to try to give the game away, before they 'woke up' and the gap in quality really started to show. I wonder what would've happened if Senegal had their talisman Sadio playing, if he had finished one of those early chances, would England have had the fortitude to come back?

Results from the recent Euros (with largely the same group of players) would suggest yes, but the things about high variance, low scoring sports is that truly anything can happen!

Today and tomorrow's games should be very interesting too!

Jun 9, 2018
England
They're good. Reigning world champions and they probably have the best player in the tournament in Kylian Mbappé.

That said, we've got some world class players and we've been playing well. Hopefully it's a great game and we do the business.

Reactions: mawnansmiff