PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I agree it is a good one.

Mike N., I am curious...... may I ask if you are from Great Britain???
No, I’m just a West Virginia boy raised on Sherlock Holmes books, hence my lifelong infatuation with all things British. As a teenager in the ‘70s, I even rebuilt a Sunbeam Alpine with my brother-in-law. Oh, those British automotive electrical systems…

Speaking of that, sitting alongside Holmes as he solved a “three pipe problem“ would be on my bucket list, too. And yes, I am a member of the Pipe Club of London.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
I would welcome the opportunity to sit with Eleanor Roosevelt. She had an insight into the world that I find refreshing. That assumes that she would not mind my pipe smoking. Since her husband was often photographed smoking, I must assume that she would be o.k. with that.

Reactions: jbfrady and JOHN72

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
No, I’m just a West Virginia boy raised on Sherlock Holmes books, hence my lifelong infatuation with all things British. As a teenager in the ‘70s, I even rebuilt a Sunbeam Alpine with my brother-in-law. Oh, those British automotive electrical systems…

Speaking of that, sitting alongside Holmes as he solved a “three pipe problem“ would be on my bucket list, too. And yes, I am a member of the Pipe Club of London.
Very impressive.....especially rebuilding the Sunbeam Alpine.

My main areas of historical interest were always the American Civil War and Roman history (Italian renaissance). However, I have no evidence that the emperors or the Renaissance masters smoked pipes.... ;)

Reactions: Mike N and jbfrady

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After much thought, I'm going to have to change my answer. In a heartbeat I'd smoke with @Chasing Embers. I believe we'd leave each other alone and it would be the most pleasant smoking experience one could have with another person.
I'm never seated when smoking unless I'm driving so being around others while smoking is an extreme rarity.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If I could go back in time to smoke a pipe with someone it would be my 4x Great Uncle Sir Thomas Henry Hall Caine. He was a well-known author who wrote such books as: "The Manxman," "The Prodigal Son," and plays such as: "The Christian." He was the most well-known author of the Victorian / Edwardian era; however, his writing style didn't translate well into the modern era. He was a local politician, and was involved with the British Government in regard to the Great War and promoting Britian's involvement in the war. It would be great to sit down and hear the amazing stories of his life from his writing/screen play days to his political involvements and his travels.

Screenshot_20240703_150554_Google.jpg

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Another would be the subject of my avatar, author Shelby Foote. I actually keep a jar of the tobacco mixture that he loved which was made up of Half and Half and Edward G. Robinson.
Great choice. He was the framework upon which Burns's series was built and I don't think the lasting piece could've been made without him. He breathed life into that masterpiece because of the love of his subject and you're right; he'd have been a brilliant man to light up alongside. I wouldn't even care if a true conversation followed. I'd have been happy enough to receive a monologue from the man.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I would love to be seated in a leather library chair at JJ Fox’s in London smoking a Dunhill billiard next to Sir Winston Churchill, as he puffed away on one of his favorite Cuban labels, Romeo y Julieta or La Aroma de Cuba. No conversation would need to ensue, because just being in the presence of the man who saved Europe would be quite enough.

This post brought to mind a quote from W.G. Hutchinson's 1898 book titled Lyra Nicotiana: 'Think of that eloquently silent evening at Craigenputtock in 1833 when Carlyle and Emerson, on either side of the fireplace, puffed soberly with never a spoken word 'till midnight and then parted shaking hands with mutual congratulations on the profitable and pleasant evening they had spent."

Reactions: jbfrady and Mike N