PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
This post brought to mind a quote from W.G. Hutchinson's 1898 book titled Lyra Nicotiana: 'Think of that eloquently silent evening at Craigenputtock in 1833 when Carlyle and Emerson, on either side of the fireplace, puffed soberly with never a spoken word 'till midnight and then parted shaking hands with mutual congratulations on the profitable and pleasant evening they had spent."
“…soberly with never a spoken word 'till midnight…”

Exactly.

Reactions: jbfrady

Fuelman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
I would smoke with a great customer of mine, James Erdie. This great man lived to 101 years of age. Every time I came to deliver fuel, we would sit and talk about his life during the Great Depression and his life during WW2. He was one of the first men in Japan after Japan surrendered. I had the great honor of being a paul bearer at his funeral.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
While Twain, Churchill, FDR ad C.S. Lewis all resonate I think my own contemplation provides both the greatest enjoyment and personal benefit
You know, I will have to admit that as I get older, the more comfortable I am in my own skin. Don't get me wrong, I still very much value my friends, but I can be completely at peace just by myself.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Another that I would choose would be the late author Robert Traver, the pen-name of attorney and Michigan Supreme Court justice John Donaldson Voelker. While he was an attorney and justice by trade, he was a fly-fisherman at heart, and he wrote well about both subjects. His best known novel was Anatomy of a Murder, based upon an actual case in which he successfully defended a man against a charge of murder. His best known books about fishing were Trout Madness, Trout Magic, and Anatomy of a Fisherman.

1720305235744.png

Mr. Voelker sometimes smoked a pipe, but preferred Italian cigars.

Here is a link to an interview (starting at minute 43) of Mr. Voelker by Charles Kuralt from his On The Road program.

Last edited: