PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Thanks but, not that Collins. Who was it? Yeager, who made the comment about monkeys and that first group of prospective astronauts?

Speaking of astronauts, I believe that it was the late John Glen who once said, "I guess the question I'm asked the most often is: "When you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?" Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.” :)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Patton's lifelong battle with dyslexia and the attendant feelings of inadequacy made him a very fascinating study.

I can personally relate to the late General's dyslexia. Despite that handicap, I believe that he was one of our greatest military leaders.

"If we're all thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking."
George Smith Patton, Jr., 1885 - 1945
General
United States Army

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Frank Burla.

His interview on the Radio Show was so endearing and charming. I was thrilled to find out there was an open invitation to his museum which is not too too far from me. The museum would have been wonderful to see but I was primarily interested in meeting Frank. I looked him up on Google to try and find out how to reach him only to find out he had already passed away.

Here's the interview I meantioned as well as write-up from Smoking Pipes.

Where's the museum and is it still open despite Burla's passing?

Reactions: jbfrady

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Where's the museum and is it still open despite Burla's passing?
I believe it was just at his house. The museum was sold to folks in China who took an interest in it and I believe are integrating it into an existing museum or starting a new one. I believe the details are in the SP article but it's been a while since I read it.

Reactions: jbfrady

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe that he was one of our greatest military leaders.
That is inarguable for certain. But, he needed Bradly to bail him out and Ike more than once. He had to be kept on a short leash and focused. One of a kind for certain ... The finest kind. His confidence in his abilities and leadership sometimes was reflected in his impetuousness. But, throughout his career he rarely failed to deliver what his superiors wanted.

jackattack

Lurker
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
Everything is built by the lowest bidder. If you're remodeling your kitchen and one contractor says they can do what you want for $1,000 and another one says they can do the same thing for $800 which one are you going to hire?

Reactions: JOHN72 and jbfrady

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I would love to be seated in a leather library chair at JJ Fox’s in London smoking a Dunhill billiard next to Sir Winston Churchill, as he puffed away on one of his favorite Cuban labels, Romeo y Julieta or La Aroma de Cuba. No conversation would need to ensue, because just being in the presence of the man who saved Europe would be quite enough.

Attachments

• IMG_8927.png
    IMG_8927.png
    844.6 KB · Views: 2