PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Someone has already mentioned my wish..... the prolific wordsmith, William Faulkner. Another would be the subject of my avatar, author Shelby Foote. I actually keep a jar of the tobacco mixture that he loved which was made up of Half and Half and Edward G. Robinson.
I would also love to smoke a bowl with my grandfather who passed away years before I was born, so I never met him.

Reactions: jbfrady

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wanting to know the origin of Clemens' take on new cobs, I found this on tobaccoreviews.

"Luke Sharp’s interview of Mark Twain for The Idler magazine, February 1892."

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Michael Collins, with or without the pipe! Hands down!
Great call. I met Collins about 10 years ago at a meet and greet after a talk given by several of the Apollo astronauts. He was a very friendly, approachable funny guy. We chatted for several minutes. I can imagine that sharing a pipe and conversation would be pretty sweet.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Please keep in mind that every individual that has been criticized in this thread has (or had) one thing in common: each is (or was) human, and therefore fallible. As the only infallible person to ever live in this world once said, in part, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."
And here's a great example why I try to avoid humans in my day to day life.

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
We both play(ed) guitar and keyboards. You can hear us on Spotify/Apple Music/Pandora. Look up Lady Zion and the Babylon Boys. He wrote most of the songs. You can hear him sing on Watch It Bleed and Val’s Song.
I just listened to Watch it Bleed about an hour ago and man, it's bittersweet with the knowledge at hand, but what a fantastic song! He really had a lack for timing and there's no better musical trait than that.

Reactions: wilblee

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
In fairness, this thread is not asking anyone to make an objective historical analysis; rather, it is asking us with whom we would wish to smoke a pipe. It makes sense to use modern sensibilities in judging what makes for a fun conversation to us in the here and now.
I think that’s wrong, shortsighted, intellectually lazy on a mammoth scale, and probably correct for a large portion of the population.
I’m not smoking with Mark Twain because he took advantage of poor people.
This is where we’re at.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I think that’s wrong, shortsighted, intellectually lazy on a mammoth scale, and probably correct for a large portion of the population.
I’m not smoking with Mark Twain because he took advantage of poor people.
This is where we’re at.
My English teacher in 7th grade taught us to never end a sentence with a preposition......... :col: