PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It is the practice of black flag warfare that makes him so divisive,
I don't believe he was a practitioner of "black flag" warfare. He did, indeed, believe in "total" war, insuring as many belligerents as possible were soon unable to wage war lacking food, weapons, horses, and so forth. But, "black flag", take no prisoners, kill all enemy? That was more a Southern thing when fighting black Union Army units. Fort Pillow? Ring a bell? I've never even seen a suggestion, North or South, that Sherman was a proponent of "Black Flag" tactics. "Total War"? Certainly. A shorter war meant fewer casualties.

His fighting career did indeed continue after the "War of the Rebellion." A lot of the Indian Wars were fought under his direction.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Dear God this thread is losing me.
“Let’s judge people by 2024 standards.”
For heavens sake, let’s not consider them or the circumstances of their era.

1) That would require knowing history. A subject that is no longer taught because there are only so many minutes in a school day, and transsexual dance therapy interpretation studies is essential.

2) Those who do manage to learn a bit of history would rather ignore it than risk the wrath of the Thought Police (a.k.a "cancel culture")

In other words, I mean, sure, everyone knows cars were different in the 1700's... they didn't even have power steering. But the gyms weren't really much different, and though grocery store freezers ran off solar-powered steam engines, texting was actually easier because it was limited to 60 characters.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
1) That would require knowing history. A subject that is no longer taught because there are only so many minutes in a school day, and transsexual dance therapy interpretation studies is essential.

2) Those who do manage to learn a bit of history would rather ignore it than risk the wrath of the Thought Police (a.k.a "cancel culture")

In other words, I mean, sure, everyone knows cars were different in the 1700's... they didn't even have power steering. But the gyms weren't really much different, and though grocery store freezers ran off solar-powered steam engines, texting was actually easier because it was limited to 60 characters.
I was kinda a professional soldier for a number of years. Please ask me if I’d rather have Ike and Mac and Chesty or Mark Milley giving me my orders.

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
He was my favorite person to talk to. A sharp, yet free, mind and a gift for expression. I miss our conversations, and playing together, more than I could ever express.
My condolences, though I'm glad you made memories that carry on. What did he play? (And what do you?)

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Please keep in mind that every individual that has been criticized in this thread has (or had) one thing in common: each is (or was) human, and therefore fallible. As the only infallible person to ever live in this world once said, in part, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."
I'm a stoner, but I'm trying to not be one in that particular sense 😅

Reactions: BingBong

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Dear God this thread is losing me.
“Let’s judge people by 2024 standards.”
For heavens sake, let’s not consider them or the circumstances of their era.
In fairness, this thread is not asking anyone to make an objective historical analysis; rather, it is asking us with whom we would wish to smoke a pipe. It makes sense to use modern sensibilities in judging what makes for a fun conversation to us in the here and now.

Reactions: kcghost and jbfrady