PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Michael Collins, with or without the pipe! Hands down!

I love Clemens attitude re the cobs. Always hire a person to do what you do not wish, this allows one to concentrate on what they do best. A great attitude for business as well as life. I let others raise and butcher. I'm a much better eater than farmer/rancher. I can do in four hours what a plumber can accomplish in fifteen. So, hire a plumber, grab my camera gear and go do what I do well.

I'm guessing the guy Twain hired was thankful for the chance to earn some moneys.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
"Oh, no," he answered, "I never smoke a new corn-cob pipe. A new pipe irritates the throat. No corn-cob pipe is fit for anything until it has been used at least a fortnight."

"How do you manage then?" I asked. "Do you follow the example of the man with the tight boots;--wear them a couple of weeks before they can be put on?"

"No," said Mark Twain, "I always hire a cheap man--a man who doesn't amount to much, anyhow--who would be as well--or better--dead, and let him break in the pipe for me. I get him to smoke the pipe for a couple of weeks, then put in a new stem, and continue operations as long as the pipe holds together."
I’m not picking up what you’re laying down. At all.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Thanks, I have studied his life extensively. I have had the chance to speak with some who knew him, fought under him and, against him. I made a pilgrimage to his grave and the site where he was killed. Was he assassinated? Killed in combat? I doubt we'll ever really know. Seven hundred years of English domination he brought an end. Not single highhandedly certainly but, in my opinion, he was singularly most controlling force at the time.
I admire a lot of historical figures but, He's at the top of my list.

Apologies for the length and sidetracking the post a bit.