PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
1) That would require knowing history. A subject that is no longer taught because there are only so many minutes in a school day, and transsexual dance therapy interpretation studies is essential.

2) Those who do manage to learn a bit of history would rather ignore it than risk the wrath of the Thought Police (a.k.a "cancel culture")

In other words, I mean, sure, everyone knows cars were different in the 1700's... they didn't even have power steering. But the gyms weren't really much different, and though grocery store freezers ran off solar-powered steam engines, texting was actually easier because it was limited to 60 characters.
I do TRY to teach the children in our part of the country history…

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I guess I'd go with Mark Twain.

He could be either a really cool guy or a total elite asshole, it's 50/50.

He did run off from a war he signed up for. That's a douchey thing to do, no matter the year. I do enjoy his writing, though.

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do TRY to teach the children in our part of the country history…
Good. And where is that, please?

How to put your location in your Profile!: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Reactions: Choatecav

B.Lew

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
William Faulkner hands down. Not sure if he would be open to the experience but I would have enjoyed discussing his character development and thought process. I’ve read all of his books and many two or three times. A lifelong obsession I found at an early age. His prose is not for all but I find it fascinating.

dog_park_piper

Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
William Faulkner hands down. Not sure if he would be open to the experience but I would have enjoyed discussing his character development and thought process. I’ve read all of his books and many two or three times. A lifelong obsession I found at an early age. His prose is not for all but I find it fascinating.
He was a huge inspiration for Latin American Writers in the 20th century. They brought him up all the time, some of them Nobel prize winners.

What are 2 or 3 novels I should start with to get reading William Faulkner?

Reactions: Choatecav

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
He was a huge inspiration for Latin American Writers in the 20th century. They brought him up all the time, some of them Nobel prize winners.

"As I lay dying"
"The sound and the Fury"
"Absolom, Absolom"
And one of my personal favorites, "The Unvanquished"

Reactions: B.Lew

B.Lew

Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan

Interesting I wasn’t aware of that particular influence.

Sanctuary
Absolom, Absolom!
The Hamlet

The Sound and the Fury is a great piece of literature but I don’t recommend as a first dive unless you are a committed reader. Being a fan of stream of conscious writing helps too.

Reactions: dog_park_piper