PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Colonel David Stirling (SAS)
Sir Ranulph Fiennes (Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know)
Sir Patrick Moore (Astronomist, Xylophone Player & English Eccentric)
Jimmy Greaves (ex Spurs & England)
Russ Abbot (Comedian)

With the exception of the Colonel, all of the above were, at one time or another ‘Pipe Man Of The Year’.

Scene of the Soirée would be the Garrick Club in London. Lobster & champagne, followed by large brandies. We’d all be smoking Bendigo Plug, ably cut up for us by the nimble fingered Sir Patrick Moore.

As an after thought, I’d also invite my great grandfather & Herman Göering. The luftwaffe flattened my great grandfather’s house in the war & I’m sure he’d of liked the opportunity to flatten old Herman in return.
Good way to end the evening, having a good old fashioned tear up! Lol

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Love Bryson's books too. I don't ever recall him mentioning a pipe, but I read most of his earlier work years ago. I actually met him at a book signing many years ago, before he was as famous as he is now. I am not one to stand in line, so I didn't get his autograph. As always I just showed up to look for a book, and the book promotion was going on.
I think he mentioned getting pipe tobacco in the mail in “I’m a Stranger Here Myself”. It’s a collection of articles he wrote for a British paper after he moved back to the states. Either way, he would be a fun fellow to sit & have a conversation with.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
Imagine you have the chance to sit, smoke, and talk (or argue) with anyone who's ever smoked a pipe. Who would it be and why? (Deceased humans only. Feel free to affix a top 3.)
Robert Service -Yukon pipe smoker and poet.

Sitting Bull - reputted by some to be the military strategist behind the defeat of General George Custer at Little Big Horn along with being a great warrior, chief, and spiritual leader.

Millicent Fenwick- 4 term pipe smoking congresswoman who influenced Gary Trudeau's cartoon character, Lucy Davenport, in Doonesbury.

Allen Kramer and Fr. Martin Demsey (together)- Fr. Dempsey was primarily a Dunhill blend smoker but wanted to buy all his tobacco from Kramer. Kramer dissected a certain Dunhill blend favorite of the good Padre component by component, making small samples for his friend to try with the Padre providing feedback on each sample. After several iterations Fr. Dempsey cried out -Stop this is better than anything I've had from Dunhill. This is what I want (Kramer's Fr. Demsey's Blend.).

Then from pipe smoker's still with us--Ian Anderson-British musician best known for his work as the singer, flautist, acoustic guitarist, and primary songwriter of the rock band, Jethro Tull.

Why, just to enjoy a bowl with such interesting characters and enjoy conversations with them about their life experiences and to share anything they might be interested in from my life experiences.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Aleister Crowley!!:eek::eek::eek:
Sharing a bowl with the beast?? Braver man than me smudger, don’t look in his eyes mate, whatever you do! Lol
He used to blend his own I think, top quality Perique soaked in rum, be worth scooping a couple of large bowls worth out of his pouch when he’s not looking. Plus he’d probably bring along a few sacrificial virgins with him, so not a bad choice overall I suppose.

Wedgy Benn! Our friend @condorlover1 has shared a bowl with him.
Believe I’m right in saying he met him in a smoking compartment on a train once. He must of felt sorry for him smoking a clay as I think he gave him one of his briar pipes!

WerewolfOfLondon

Jun 8, 2023
London
Colonel David Stirling (SAS)
Sir Ranulph Fiennes (Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know)
Sir Patrick Moore (Astronomist, Xylophone Player & English Eccentric)
Jimmy Greaves (ex Spurs & England)
Russ Abbot (Comedian)

With the exception of the Colonel, all of the above were, at one time or another ‘Pipe Man Of The Year’.

Scene of the Soirée would be the Garrick Club in London. Lobster & champagne, followed by large brandies. We’d all be smoking Bendigo Plug, ably cut up for us by the nimble fingered Sir Patrick Moore.

As an after thought, I’d also invite my great grandfather & Herman Göering. The luftwaffe flattened my great grandfather’s house in the war & I’m sure he’d of liked the opportunity to flatten old Herman in return.
Good way to end the evening, having a good old fashioned tear up! Lol
Did Greavsy smoke a pipe as well yeah? Some man eh, pipes, fags, booze. And the best striker to ever play the game in this country.

Reactions: jbfrady

WerewolfOfLondon

Jun 8, 2023
London