PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife taught at a women's college in N.C. and had as a student one of Faulkner's grand daughters. She said among the family, there wasn't much conversation about his literary life. To her, he was just Grandpa.

When he went to Hollywood to write scripts, he became homesick and phoned his boss to ask if he could work at home. His boss said yes. They couldn't find him for a while, and finally realized Mississippi was home to him.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Vassar Clements. If not him, one of the many jazz greats who smoked a pipe. Ron Carter, Coltrane, Mingus, etc.. Vassar_Clements.jpg
1jms2r5rsm191.jpg

Actually, I crossed one off my list. I always wanted to smoke with Brian Levine and pick his brain about things he hasn't discussed on his podcast. Earlier this year we enjoyed a pipe away from the crowd at a local pipe show. A very memorable smoke. He was very inviting and incredibly nice. He's also a wealth of knowledge 20230729_170811.jpg

Vassar Clements. If not him, one of the many jazz greats who smoked a pipe. Ron Carter, Coltrane, Mingus, etc.. View attachment 246269
View attachment 246270

Actually, I crossed one off my list. I always wanted to smoke with Brian Levine and pick his brain about things he hasn't discussed on his podcast. Earlier this year we enjoyed a pipe away from the crowd at a local pipe show. A very memorable smoke. He was very inviting and incredibly nice. He's also a wealth of knowledge View attachment 246271
And, Brian is hilarious. I've had the pleasure of meeting him at a couple of pipe shows. Super nice guy.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
And, Brian is hilarious. I've had the pleasure of meeting him at a couple of pipe shows. Super nice guy.
He really is. I learned so much that day, especially when we dug through estate bins. It was the highlight of that weekend for me. I'm supposed to visit his neck of the woods this winter and he said we'd go to McCranies when I'm in town. Hoping everything pans out

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Vassar Clements. If not him, one of the many jazz greats who smoked a pipe. Ron Carter, Coltrane, Mingus, etc.. View attachment 246269
View attachment 246270

Actually, I crossed one off my list. I always wanted to smoke with Brian Levine and pick his brain about things he hasn't discussed on his podcast. Earlier this year we enjoyed a pipe away from the crowd at a local pipe show. A very memorable smoke. He was very inviting and incredibly nice. He's also a wealth of knowledge View attachment 246271
You're both smoking very nice looking pipes too!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm not sure I'd want to meet him though. He was known for periods of uncomfortable mania, periods of deep depression, and heavy drinking; and, I'm not sure which one I'd rather be around.

Yeah, "memorable, but not in a good way" comes immediately to mind.

Though never formally diagnosed, psyche docs today think he was almost cetainly bi-polar, and probably borderline. Add to that his massive drinking, and behavioral ugliness was easy to come by whenever he was around.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
As for having a sit down conversation, I always figured Carl Sagan---who was, indeed, a pipe smoker---would be fun to talk to. But NOT when he doing it. Or for a number of hours afterward.

Reactions: jbfrady

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A lot of great names already listed, such as Watts, Jung, Tolkien, Twain.

One who hasn't been mentioned (I'd be shocked if he was) and would be first on my list as a personal hero and no one I have greater respect for, is Jim Garrison. Can't imagine anyone else I'd rather have a bowl and conversation with...especially on this 60th anniversary of the coup.