PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Aleister Crowley!!:eek::eek::eek:
Sharing a bowl with the beast?? Braver man than me smudger, don’t look in his eyes mate, whatever you do! Lol
He used to blend his own I think, top quality Perique soaked in rum, be worth scooping a couple of large bowls worth out of his pouch when he’s not looking. Plus he’d probably bring along a few sacrificial virgins with him, so not a bad choice overall I suppose.

Wedgy Benn! Our friend @condorlover1 has shared a bowl with him.
Believe I’m right in saying he met him in a smoking compartment on a train once. He must of felt sorry for him smoking a clay as I think he gave him one of his briar pipes!
Correct. I have one of Wedgy Benn's pipes in a box somewhere or other. It was 1982 I think and I was indeed smoking a Pollock clay. I think he was a St Bruno man if my memory serves me correctly.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sharing a bowl with the beast?? Braver man than me smudger, don’t look in his eyes mate, whatever you do! Lol
He used to blend his own I think, top quality Perique soaked in rum, be worth scooping a couple of large bowls worth out of his pouch when he’s not looking. Plus he’d probably bring along a few sacrificial virgins with him, so not a bad choice overall I suppose.

Believe I’m right in saying he met him in a smoking compartment on a train once. He must of felt sorry for him smoking a clay as I think he gave him one of his briar pipes!
Seeing as it was Crowley i'm surprised it wasn't soaked in piss.

That's a cool story about Condorlover meeting Benn. Whether you agreed with his politics or not, at least you knew he actually believed in what he was saying. More than can be said about 99% of the shysters today. On both the left and the right.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Correct. I have one of Wedgy Benn's pipes in a box somewhere or other. It was 1982 I think and I was indeed smoking a Pollock clay. I think he was a St Bruno man if my memory serves me correctly.
That’s right, he was.
Clement Attlee smoked Wills’s Cut Golden Bar & Stanley Baldwin smoked Presbyterian. Don’t know what old Harold smoked, my old man reckoned his pipe was just for the cameras, 60 fags a day he was on, according to him. My father never worked at Westminster so how he knew this I don’t know. Lol

Jun 9, 2018
England
I remember him on the TV, Saints and Greaves. Saturday morning as I recall, I was a child and would always watch it after the cartoons.

That football boot pipe is amazing, good old Greavsy, true legend.
Incredible striker. I saw him on the Fantasy Football program back in the 1990's and he was hilarious. Didn't mind the lads taking the piss out of him and went along with everything. They even mentioned/showed the footage of a previous sketch they'd done of Jimmy getting sodomised by a horse🐴. I used to love Fantasy Football but it would never work in todays politically correct times.

Jun 9, 2018
England
That’s right, he was.
Clement Attlee smoked Wills’s Cut Golden Bar & Stanley Baldwin smoked Presbyterian. Don’t know what old Harold smoked, my old man reckoned his pipe was just for the cameras, 60 fags a day he was on, according to him. My father never worked at Westminster so how he knew this I don’t know. Lol
Yeah, I've seen that mentioned in documentaries. That he mainly smoked a pipe to seem more down to earth.

Reactions: simong and jbfrady

WerewolfOfLondon

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 8, 2023
London
Incredible striker. I saw him on the Fantasy Football program back in the 1990's and he was hilarious. Didn't mind the lads taking the piss out of him and went along with everything. They even mentioned/showed the footage of a previous sketch they'd done of Jimmy getting sodomised by a horse🐴. I used to love Fantasy Football but it would never work in todays politically correct times.

Garrincha kept the dog, what a story that is lol. I hadn't realised he played in '62. I knew he was in the '66 squad, but had a niggle, so couldn't play. The rest, as they say, is history. Often wonder what would have happened had he been fit, if they would have still won it. Reckon they would, he was a much better striker than Hurst.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Garrincha kept the dog, what a story that is lol. I hadn't realised he played in '62. I knew he was in the '66 squad, but had a niggle, so couldn't play. The rest, as they say, is history. Often wonder what would have happened had he been fit, if they would have still won it. Reckon they would, he was a much better striker than Hurst.
Yeah, there's that sad footage of Jim in the seconds after we won the final, slowly walking onto the pitch in his suit, congratulating the other players.

Back then you didn't get a winners medal unless you were on the pitch at the final whistle. Being a part of the squad wasn't enough. Decades later they changed the rules and Jimmy got his medal. IIRC he had to flog it because he was short on cash😔.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

@simong Tony Benn was MP for Chesterfield; I saw him smoking his pipe at the station / getting on a train once before the smoking ban.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I've read most of his books. He just seems terrifying. I've heard and read stories of him holding guns on friends (big named celebrities) in his delusional states. Seems like fun, till the gun is in your face. I think I would pass on hanging out with that freak. He can write a witty twist of phrase though. Just too batshit for me.
Most of his stories have been debunked. He is known to embellish his narcissistic tales.

Reactions: jbfrady

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’m late to this party but my answer is the same as Winston Churchill’s when asked a similar question:

”Although first drafted in 1947 and subsequently revised over many years, at his request this short story was reserved for posthumous publication …

His working title for the manuscript was simply "Private Article." His family as well as friends allowed to read it and make suggestions called it "The Dream," and it was thus headed when finally published in the Sunday Telegraph, January 30, 1966, almost exactly a year after his death on January 24, 1965. A version of the conversation with Lord Randolph's shade was first told by Churchill to his son Randolph and his daughter Sarah at a family meal "in late 1946 or early 1947." When asked by Randolph whom he would invoke to join them if he could summon any one from any era, Churchill replied, "Oh, my father, of course."

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

Don't think it'd be much fun with today's footballers neither.
Harry Maguire & the rest.
Some good programmes in the 90's....the word, fantasy football, the big breakfast etc. It all went serious in the early 00's. 9/11, social media & everything else. Didn't realise at the time how good we had it in the 90's. We realise it now though, stroll on. Lol

Jun 9, 2018
England
Don't think it'd be much fun with today's footballers neither.
Harry Maguire & the rest.
Some good programmes in the 90's....the word, fantasy football, the big breakfast etc. It all went serious in the early 00's. 9/11, social media & everything else. Didn't realise at the time how good we had it in the 90's. We realise it now though, stroll on. Lol
Spot on. I used to watch The Word after coming back from the pub on a Friday night. They aired both Nirvana's and Oasis's first live tv performances. I saw them both and remember being totally blown away. IIRC they had Rod Hull & Emu and Snoop Dogg on the the same show. What a team up!

Reactions: simong and jbfrady