PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm more than happy with my estate meers puffy
I have 4 that I bought new in the 1970s - 3 African meerss and an Austrian gourd calabash.

I can't see myself needing another.
But if I do, it will be another estate.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the thing is we won't run out of meerschaum we'll run out meerschaum that is worth the effort and the finances to get too. That's what we'll run out of. The thing is when does that happen. Well when all the factors come together. Who knows maybe they'll just cost a thousand dollars a little nosewarmer without any intricate design.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
On the original question: If there's enough demand, new sources will be mined, new mines found. IIRC, Louisiana has meerschaum, but no developed mine. As to quality in existing mines, I have no idea, just hope.
the problem is it's got one real commercial use. And that's with pipes. If you don't have carvers what's the point. The material is not expensive but the time and skill of the carvers is. If you can convince a lot of Turkish artisans that Louisiana is a nice place to raise a family then suddenly that mine has enough value to start digging out.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
the problem is it's got one real commercial use. And that's with pipes. If you don't have carvers what's the point. The material is not expensive but the time and skill of the carvers is. If you can convince a lot of Turkish artisans that Louisiana is a nice place to raise a family then suddenly that mine has enough value to start digging out.
I just read another article about the American Meerschaum company in New Mexico. Lots of Meerschaum and a climate similar to turkey...

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You're forgetting the time and cost of the excavation and convincing the children of the carvers who are growing up in an anti-tobacco world to take up a dying craft.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
You're forgetting the time and cost of the excavation and convincing the children of the carvers who are growing up in an anti-tobacco world to take up a dying craft.
That's the real problem sir. If this was the 20s all over again American ingenuity, our insatiable appetite for tobacco and elbow grease would have already gave them turks a run for their money with Arizona Meerschaum.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
On a serious note alot of the turkish artisans I message directly say without the Chinese buying pipes they wouldn't survive. I guess Asians aren't afraid of smoke and revere it. Look at Baki, all his pipes go to aliexpress.

Reactions: drayve85

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
On a serious note alot of the turkish artisans I message directly say without the Chinese buying pipes they wouldn't survive. I guess Asians aren't afraid of smoke and revere it. Look at Baki, all his pipes go to aliexpress.
Smoking is a status symbol in China. They're the largest current consumer of tobacco in the world right now.