PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Technically our star, the sun is a yellow dwarf which doesn't have the mass to ever go nova or supernova that is. But it will vaporize the earth one day during out stars death when it's corona expands as our sun becomes a red giant. But by all estimates it appears we have another 4 to 6 billion years till the jig is up.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Technically our star, the sun is a yellow dwarf which doesn't have the mass to ever go nova or supernova that is. But it will vaporize the earth one day during out stars death when it's corona expands as our sun becomes a red giant. But by all estimates it appears we have another 4 to 6 billion years till the jig is up.
Reminds me of this clip from Annie Hall.

• Love
Reactions: Toast

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You're forgetting the time and cost of the excavation and convincing the children of the carvers who are growing up in an anti-tobacco world to take up a dying craft.
kind of reminds me though of another thing. I've known people who collect meer and don't smoke. Some quit some never smoked. Kind of reminds me of other people I know who have great snuff bottle collections. Really some beautiful pieces. Meer might survive as a historical/art piece more so then briar.

Reactions: trouttimes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just read another article about the American Meerschaum company in New Mexico. Lots of Meerschaum and a climate similar to turkey...
Could you please post a link?
That's the real problem sir. If this was the 20s all over again American ingenuity, our insatiable appetite for tobacco and elbow grease would have already gave them turks a run for their money with Arizona Meerschaum.
It was in the 20's when the mine was open. We never had carvers to make a go with pipes, and not enough volume needed for other uses as well.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As I was looking it up, I ran across a fine article on meerschaum by James Foster.
I read half of it, and will finish it later. Here it is:
LINK to PM article
I see that even as far back as 1908 the New York Times was printing nonsense:

“The briar pipe is for smokers. It is made to be filled with tobacco and smoked. The meerschaum is an investment, an object of vertu, a subject of hourly perplexity. To treat one properly a high order of intelligence is required, together with complete freedom from defects of the artistic temperament, inexhaustible patience, and the philosopher’s mind.”

:ROFLMAO:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Now I’ve got visions of hippies wearing Depends mowing fields of “grass” surrounded by children, chickens and possums, all smoking corncob pipes.

What was the original topic again? ?

Reactions: Elric