PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I have no expertise whatsoever in meerschaum mining but from all the carvers I talk to in eskisehir they all hint at good meerschaum disappearing. But the date predictions vary wildly. I've been told 5 years to 50 years. So I wonder are older meerschaums possibly higher quality then new production? Styles have definitely changed and sizes. Interesting subject though.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
At some point EVERYTHING will die out. The sun will go nova, the earth will vaporize, and that will be that. Until then, we dance!
Yeah but it sucks being the generation that loses something. I've already lost pre 86 machine guns, smoking in public, clearly defined genders and now my beloved meerschaums?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
At the rate we’re going there will be plenty of meerschaum left for the three-headed banana slugs that will soon rule whatever is left of our planet after we exterminate ourselves.

There’s a decent chance they will eat it rather than smoke leaf out of it, but hey, their planet, their rules.

Meh, I’ve got two. They’ll probably get me through my lifetime. Although I’d buy another if I find something I want. The banana slugs can eat them too after I’m gone. If they move on my pipes before then I’ve got a 50 lb bag of salt that says they’ll regret it. Don’t mess with my pipes you slimy bastards, I’m warning you!

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
At the rate we’re going there will be plenty of meerschaum left for the three-headed banana slugs that will soon rule whatever is left of our planet after we exterminate ourselves.

There’s a decent chance they will eat it rather than smoke leaf out of it, but hey, their planet, their rules.

Meh, I’ve got two. They’ll probably get me through my lifetime. Although I’d buy another if I find something I want. The banana slugs can eat them too after I’m gone. If they move on my pipes before then I’ve got a 50 lb bag of salt that says they’ll regret it. Don’t mess with my pipes you slimy bastards, I’m warning you!
What kind of tobacco are you smoking? I need some...