Will Deeming Regs Hit The Grassroots Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I hope I'm wrong... but you gotta know we are rare birds, pipe smokers that is. All smokers combined make up somewhere around 15% of the population. Pipe smokers are a tiny percentage of that 15%.. and some percentage of those pipe smokers support anti-smoking laws. A large part of the total 15% are people who are ashamed that they smoke cigarettes, and wouldn't lift a finger to protect that right.

Again, I hope you're right.. Cigars must have the right supporters even though there can't be many. They seem to be exempt from the current anti-smoking stuff. Which is crazy, because I'd bet most of the cigar market is made up of cigarillos, that are used to make blunts for weed smokers.
I used to wonder how pipe tobacco made much money until I found out how dedicated some people are to buying enough tobacco to protect them against a future where people live a thousand years and farms don't exist anymore.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
We’ve legalized weed in Canada, and there is certainly no halo effect where people stop villainizing smokers.

It wasn’t legalized out of a libertarian acceptance to live and let live. It wasn’t legalized as a movement to accept a diversity of choices and lifestyles. That was just the dishonest marketing. There is still an accepted lifestyle; an approved one. Weed is approved, and tobacco isn’t.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
We’ve legalized weed in Canada, and there is certainly no halo effect where people stop villainizing smokers.

It wasn’t legalized out of a libertarian acceptance to live and let live. It wasn’t legalized as a movement to accept a diversity of choices and lifestyles. That was just the dishonest marketing. There is still an accepted lifestyle; an approved one. Weed is approved, and tobacco isn’t.
Sadly you may be right. America used to have more of a libertarian streak (that’s libertarian with a lower case “l”), but I feel that the country is quickly throwing freedoms away for the illusion of safety, and becoming more dependent on legislators to govern not the state, but individuals’ choices. We may not be far behind you if things keep taking this tack.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think a large part of the cancer-rate difference between tobacco and cannabis is the very many chemical additives that are in the manufactured-cigarette tobacco. I'm sure they will begin to be added to cannabis once the cigarette companies have gotten sales of their new product legalized in more states.
yeah I will never forget in pathology class during the cancer lessons finding there was a rare but nasty bladder cancer that only people who worked with a specific industrial solvent and cigarette smokers would get. I looked up the list of additives in cigs and that solvent was one of them. There is some nasty shit in those things.

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
I remember the argument about the cost of smoking-related diseases coming up very often in the 80s and it was completely fallacious. I can't remember the exact figures but I know the ratio is about right. It was something like this:

In the UK in the mid 80s it was estimated that smokers cost the NHS around £80 million a year. However, those same smokers were paying £600 million a year in tobacco taxes so they were a net benefit not a burden.
Yeah, but that 600 million is for the state to line their pockets. Do you expect them to save it? No, they can't. It burns a hole in their pocket and falls out, if they don't spend it. Besides, they deserve your money. Strongly written with sarcasm.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've never smoked marijuana but that's mostly because I spent 21 years in the Coast Guard and there was this whole "war on drugs" things and cannibas being illegal. (I have actually picked up bales of the stuff on undisclosed beaches though).

On the other hand, if it was made legal, I wouldn't have anything against possibly trying it.

Jan 27, 2020
Another thing to consider is that people take “hits” of cannabis, you’ve never heard of a person just taking a hit of a cigarette although I’m sure many a homeless outside a bar has asked for one...

Reactions: BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Have the deeming regs come into effect? And have any blends dissappeared because of them?

Not yet. As of now, I believe the deadline is some time in 2021, though I don't recall exactly when. There has been at least a small glimmer of hope that some popular post-2007 blends will remain. There was a post here some time ago quoting a statement by one of the guys at one of the larger pipe tobacco companies stating that they were jumping through the hoops to keep at least one of those post-2007 blends on the market. There have been various estimates of the cost of the FDA application for post-2007 tobacco products, being anywhere from a few thousand dollars to a few hundred thousand dollars. Obviously, the former would be a relatively small cost, but the latter could likely be insurmountable from a standpoint of cost-effectiveness for many blends.

In any event, we can certainly look forward to increasingly strict "tobacco control" in the future.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Footnote: Keeping old folks in good morale is not an easy matter. So they don't spend their last years staring at the floor and not saying hello back to anyone. If a glass of sherry or a bowl of tobacco would help, I doubt it would shorten anyone's life, rather probably prolong it. Save the Puritan ardor for the young folks so they'll have a long way to go, and leave the long-timer's alone. My dad used to smuggle a bottle of sherry to my ninety-some-year-old great aunt in the religious old folks home. It helped her, but too many old gents gathered there and got rowdy, so no more sherry for her.

I like the biography of my weed use, in posts above. Especially me in my stoned frog mode. I'm a changed man.

Status
Not open for further replies.