Will Deeming Regs Hit The Grassroots Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How about the guy who smokes only one blend that comes in a tub or a pouch and has been in production for 104 years, and owns a pipe or two. Will the regs sneak up on him? Will it change where he buys his tobacco? Will it make any codger blends disappear? Are the regs just affecting us pipe hobbyist premium blend smokers, or are they after gramps at the general store too?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aging, alas, doesn't add a lot of pleasures to life, and cutting the few from under old fellas (and gals!) seems just plain nasty to me. Anything we can do to rub regulators and legislators noses in that is all to the good. It requires a face, a name, a situation, a narrative. Just keep it in mind.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'm thinking its all a slow march to tobacco becoming unavailable.. I doubt it will ever become illegal. It will be such a pain in the ass to deal with all the regulations that companys will just go away. This might happen pretty fast.. no one has the back of the smoker. When seatbelts became mandatory for grown ass men, that's when you could have seen this coming. A trend of laws to protect people from themselves..

But keep it clear, its not about pipes, cigars or cigarettes.. It's about a tobacco free world.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I'm thinking its all a slow march to tobacco becoming unavailable.. I doubt it will ever become illegal. It will be such a pain in the ass to deal with all the regulations that companys will just go away. This might happen pretty fast.. no one has the back of the smoker. When seatbelts became mandatory for grown ass men, that's when you could have seen this coming. A trend of laws to protect people from themselves..

But keep it clear, its not about pipes, cigars or cigarettes.. It's about a tobacco free world.
I still don't wear a seat belt and wont ever

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Well to play the devil’s advocate (I never do that) the reason for seatbelt laws is people getting into car accidents, becoming disabled, and the state then being responsible for them. The idea is that seatbelts prevent head injuries therefore reducing the state’s end cost in the event of an accident.

Same with smoking. How many people receiving government assistance or free healthcare smoke? This costs the government money, and they don’t like that.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Well to play the devil’s advocate (I never do that) the reason for seatbelt laws is people getting into car accidents, becoming disabled, and the state then being responsible for them. The idea is that seatbelts prevent head injuries therefore reducing the state’s end cost in the event of an accident.

Same with smoking. How many people receiving government assistance or free healthcare smoke? This costs the government money, and they don’t like that.

Exactly, protecting them from themselves to save the government money.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

Don't get me started on the people the state is responsible for being idiots. You look at all the gang bangers in the town I live in or worst case Chicago( 18 murders last weekend and who knows how many shot) that their hospital care was on our backs.A lot of their children will now be on SS payments till they are 18.Look at all the opoid addicted people that have over dosed to the point they are now blithering idiots that are now on the dole.The states got an award for million of dollars from the Big tobacco companies and pisssed away rather than putting in to the care of the smokers who helped these big companies amass their Billions. What you mention is adrop in the bucket my friend...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Don't get me started on the people the state is responsible for being idiots. You look at all the gang bangers in the town I live in or worst case Chicago( 18 murders last weekend and who knows how many shot) that their hospital care was on our backs.A lot of their children will now be on SS payments till they are 18.Look at all the opoid addicted people that have over dosed to the point they are now blithering idiots that are now on the dole.The states got an award for million of dollars from the Big tobacco companies and pisssed away rather than putting in to the care of the smokers who helped these big companies amass their Billions. What you mention is adrop in the bucket my friend...
Oh I agree. Just stating their reasoning behind all this.

I don’t think a good portion of the folk deserve the help they get.

• Love
Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.