Will Deeming Regs Hit The Grassroots Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
Well to play the devil’s advocate (I never do that) the reason for seatbelt laws is people getting into car accidents, becoming disabled, and the state then being responsible for them. The idea is that seatbelts prevent head injuries therefore reducing the state’s end cost in the event of an accident.

Same with smoking. How many people receiving government assistance or free healthcare smoke? This costs the government money, and they don’t like that.
I remember the argument about the cost of smoking-related diseases coming up very often in the 80s and it was completely fallacious. I can't remember the exact figures but I know the ratio is about right. It was something like this:

In the UK in the mid 80s it was estimated that smokers cost the NHS around £80 million a year. However, those same smokers were paying £600 million a year in tobacco taxes so they were a net benefit not a burden.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Well to play the devil’s advocate (I never do that) the reason for seatbelt laws is people getting into car accidents, becoming disabled, and the state then being responsible for them. The idea is that seatbelts prevent head injuries therefore reducing the state’s end cost in the event of an accident.

Same with smoking. How many people receiving government assistance or free healthcare smoke? This costs the government money, and they don’t like that.
There's always two sides to everything. Good point.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I'm thinking its all a slow march to tobacco becoming unavailable.. I doubt it will ever become illegal. It will be such a pain in the ass to deal with all the regulations that companys will just go away. This might happen pretty fast.. no one has the back of the smoker. When seatbelts became mandatory for grown ass men, that's when you could have seen this coming. A trend of laws to protect people from themselves..

But keep it clear, its not about pipes, cigars or cigarettes.. It's about a tobacco free world.
Sadly, I think George Carlin nailed it on the head years ago. When he pointed out that “Americans are always willing to trade a little piece of freedom to feel secure” ;)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm suddenly reminded of something I've occasionally run across over the years, about motorcyclists in accidents with helmets getting more neck injuries, while those riding without were getting more head injuries. Somehow they never seemed to state anything about the numbers or proportions involved.
How about here it’s legal to ride a motorcycle with no helmet but illegal to drive a car without a seatbelt on. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just a question do you inhale cannabis? I am seriously asking because I have never smoke cannabis. And will it give you cancer?
Anything can give you cancer if you irritate tissues etc with it. You could give yourself skin cancer by constantly picking at a spot.
It can either be smoked or consumed in edible form.
It’s a lot more pure of an item than tobaccos... especially the tobacco-paper hybrid used to fill cigarettes.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Hey, you can ride in the bed of a truck in Alabama.. but If you're in the cab, you gotta have a seat belt.
Do you remember the Subaru Brat? They had lower import duties if they came off the RORO ship with more seats (or something like that), thus the rear-facing plastic seats in the front of the bed with the handles sticking up for the rear passengers to hang on to.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Do you remember the Subaru Brat? They had lower import duties if they came of the RORO ship with more seats (or something like that), thus the rear-facing plastic seats in the front of the bed with the handles sticking up for the rear passengers to hang on to.
It takes a certain type of golf-playing, polo-wearing, flattop-having, visor and cargo short, and Birkenstock wearing woman to drive one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.