PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I was in the study cleaning so I decided to count. I had 59 Petersons in my office. I know for a fact I've got two in my truck and at least one upstairs. So, I've got 60ish Petes I suppose.

There's about 10 artisan pipes, a dozen or so MM cobs, 8 from my grandad and a dozen or so miscellaneous pipes laying around too.

Below are 95% of my Petes.
PXL_20230121_201103552.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230121_201108107.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230121_201117636.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230121_201055030.PORTRAIT.jpg

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I only have one…. But I do like some of their shapes, and especially the orange stems.

I bought this one I liked at an antique store for 10$ Canadian, 7 US, and when I got home was happily surprised to see it was stamped, Peterson made in the Republic of Ireland, Shamrock 808.

Anyone have any guess/knowledge on the decade it was made?

16BD1840-54C8-4220-93D1-C84CCEA76DF8.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I was in the study cleaning so I decided to count. I had 59 Petersons in my office. I know for a fact I've got two in my truck and at least one upstairs. So, I've got 60ish Petes I suppose.

There's about 10 artisan pipes, a dozen or so MM cobs, 8 from my grandad and a dozen or so miscellaneous pipes laying around too.

View attachment 196350View attachment 196351View attachment 196352View attachment 196353
Nice collection. I spot a Phoenix, an Atlantic and a Dracula. I really like my Phoenix and Atlantic. I don't own a Dracula yet.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I love the lines and shapes of most the Petersons. Maybe has something to do with being the first decent pipes I really handled, which is probably common for others as well. Whatever the reason, they just look right to me. I’m a fan of what others have already mentioned, the plump, curvy, and muscular lines to them

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
I think I have a dozen or more Petes, and I've never had a problem with any of them. I like the heft and the assertive shapes. They're not the only brand I like, but I like them right well.
I have more Petes than any other brand for precisely the reasons you’ve mentioned. A variety of classic shapes and most are an absolute “tank” of a pipe. Built to last, one has the feeling you could smoke the same pipe everyday for the rest of your life and it wouldn’t wear out. I have a couple in the Sherlock Holmes line that fit that description. The XL02 shape in all their lines that I’ve tried are particularly great smokers imho.

dafox

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
Now, to put little water on the fire. I have been smoking a pipe since about 1970.
Most have been "basket" pipes with an occasional higher grade. Recently , I lost a basket pipe marked "Baracinni" that I think I bought when in graduate school in the early eighties. It was one of the best smoking pipes I have ever known.

To get too Petersons. Bought my first one about ten years ago, and a second about. five years ago. The first one, a Sherlock Holmes: it was, and is the most consistently wet smoking pipe I have ever owned. I still smoke it occasionally, and it is still a wet pipe. My second Pete, a straight billiard also smoked wet. I gave it away. My son has a Peterson Bulldog that I have smoked several times with no problems. I am not a beginner by any means, but I doubt I will ever buy another Peterson pipe.

These days I trend toward Stanwell pipes and own about a dozen, from inexpensive to higher grade models. All have been fine smoking pipes. Given that I am 71 years old, my pipe buying days are numbered, but if I buy any more pipes I will begin my search with Stanwell or other brands, not Peterson.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I don’t own any Peterson pipes. When I started smoking I looked at some and didn’t like the aesthetics. Many seemed heavy.

Because of this thread, I am reconsidering. One that draws me is the Lovat #53. I’m thinking of finding one in a very classic finish that could be never be mistaken for another brand. So maybe a Donegal Rocky rusticated fishtail.

But, It seems that rustication has changed over the years, and I don’t really like the current version. Is that true?

I’d take any advice or recommendation you have.

7BD8FCF4-1511-4A23-885F-D456D04A771C.jpeg

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I don’t own any Peterson pipes. When I started smoking I looked at some and didn’t like the aesthetics. Many seemed heavy.

Because of this thread, I am reconsidering. One that draws me is the Lovat #53. I’m thinking of finding one in a very classic finish that could be never be mistaken for another brand. So maybe a Donegal Rocky rusticated fishtail.

But, It seems that rustication has changed over the years, and I don’t really like the current version. Is that true?

I’d take any advice or recommendation you have.

View attachment 197297
Far from an expert here, but I believe the current Peterson rustication is a direct influence and outcome from the Donegal rocky series mentioned.
Definitely subjective, as compared with a few older Peterson estates I’ve held, I much prefer the new rustication. Just goes to show how different things appeal to different folks! And nothing wrong with that

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA

View attachment 196350View attachment 196351View attachment 196352View attachment 196353

Who is the maker of the flying saucer Rhodesian in the back (far right) with the amber colored stem? I like it!

Reactions: bullet08

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
Now, to put little water on the fire. I have been smoking a pipe since about 1970.
Most have been "basket" pipes with an occasional higher grade. Recently , I lost a basket pipe marked "Baracinni" that I think I bought when in graduate school in the early eighties. It was one of the best smoking pipes I have ever known.

To get too Petersons. Bought my first one about ten years ago, and a second about. five years ago. The first one, a Sherlock Holmes: it was, and is the most consistently wet smoking pipe I have ever owned. I still smoke it occasionally, and it is still a wet pipe. My second Pete, a straight billiard also smoked wet. I gave it away. My son has a Peterson Bulldog that I have smoked several times with no problems. I am not a beginner by any means, but I doubt I will ever buy another Peterson pipe.

These days I trend toward Stanwell pipes and own about a dozen, from inexpensive to higher grade models. All have been fine smoking pipes. Given that I am 71 years old, my pipe buying days are numbered, but if I buy any more pipes I will begin my search with Stanwell or other brands, not Peterson.
You smoke your son’s pipe? That’s like using someone else’s toothbrush.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I've come to really love their army mounts and more so their spigots. Nobody else does these types of pipes as well in that same mid-range factory pipe space.
I’ve chimed in on this subject on other threads recently, as the whole ‘when can you break your pipe down’ question is still very much a riddle to me, and the army mounts eliminate this element of confusion lol!
I really do like them for that reason, but I also like the look in some pipes. They disrupt the flow of some shapes, but in others they enhance, in my opinion of course. I’m also a fan of the metal shank rings, especially the limited run coppers Christmas pipes and whatnot

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Given that I am 71 years old, my pipe buying days are numbered, but if I buy any more pipes I will begin my search with Stanwell or other brands, not Peterson.
Very interesting comment

I have a fairly wide selection of pipes including some Petes which I love

But if I were to start afresh, I’d concentrate on Danish era Stanwells

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Very interesting comment

I have a fairly wide selection of pipes including some Petes which I love

But if I were to start afresh, I’d concentrate on Danish era Stanwells
Yes, I probably have around 20 Stanwell pipes. Even split between Danish era and post. Exceptional pipes. Excellent fit, finish and drilling. Even the $20 brushed brown pipes that P&C was selling several years back.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
You smoke your son’s pipe? That’s like using someone else’s toothbrush.
As someone who has bought many estate pipes, I would disagree with that statement.
All you have to do is clean the stem with alcohol to sanitize it before smoking. It also may be a pipe the son doesn't smoke. I have four of those in my collection and I've "loaned" them to my sons if they forget to bring one when they visit. Each one gets a good cleaning after they leave.