PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I like colored stems, but last year's SPD & Halloween pipe stems were crazy bright. I purchased them anyway, but I wish they'd tone down the bright colors.

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a Halloween pipe with a candy corn colored stem...yellow, orange and white.

Reactions: bullet08

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Out of the sixteen Pete's that I own, I don't own a bulldog yet. I better start shopping.
I must admit I was late in getting a Pete bulldog.

I got back into smoking pipes a few years back and a Pete Bulldog was high on my list is wants.
But the controversy over the quality control at the time was a turn off.

I got a few Petes a couple of years ago (Laudisi era) and have been very happy with them except for one. The vulcanite stem oxidised readily and then micro pits appeared when I used toothpaste to remedy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like colored stems, but last year's SPD & Halloween pipe stems were crazy bright. I purchased them anyway, but I wish they'd tone down the bright colors.

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a Halloween pipe with a candy corn colored stem...yellow, orange and white.
That's one sore subject for me and Savinelli and really any pipe maker. I saw Sav had their new line of pipes, and they all have weird colored stems. Big turn off for me. Even their Meile line with the gold stems is too far out for me. Red stems on my meers is ok, but I only want black on my briars.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I guess I’m odd man out here. I’ve owned a dozen or so Pete’s, all new but my current one. I find they don’t smoke well for me. They smoke very wet, a problem I don’t have with any other brand I have and the air flow is somehow strange to me. I love their looks, their history and their shapes but for me, they don’t work. Congrats if they work for you.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I’ve had several Pete’s over the past decade or more and with a couple of exceptions either traded or sold them because I didn’t like the way they smoked. I kept a Kapp-Royal made for IRC because the shank had a beaded ring that it shouldn’t have had. I have a Peterson Fermoy my wife bought me as a Birthday present that I occasionally smoke.
But this Christmas, she gave me a Sherlock Holmes Original and it has changed my opinion of Pete’s. Not sure if I like the P-lip stem, but it has become one of my weekly rotation pipes.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
This year I have gotten into Peterson pipes. I love strait billiards and for factory pipes I have come to discover that a Pete does a great job for the price. Their low 100's shapes are exactly what I look for in a billiard size, weight and bowl diameter. I am also a fan of the shape of their stems. Finally, I am a big fan of their new rustication. I know this style is not something that many people like; however, think it is quite attractive.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Bought my first Peterson in 1990. I’ve buying them since then.

The shapes are attractive, and over the years I haven’t had a whole lot of issues with how they smoke. In the last few years there have been drilling, fitting and cosmetic issues that I found unacceptable. I returned a total of 5 in 2021, and stopped buying them. I’ve noticed more recently some of the lines have mysteriously disappeared, and I’m not really digging the dark stained, lackluster quality of the wood they’re putting out. I have 70+ Peterson pipes in my collection… the most of any brand in my collection. I guess I really don’t need anymore.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Maybe I should count. Maybe I shouldn't. puffy
LOL, my wife came up from the basement and wondered why I had 30 pipes on the bar! She's a math teacher so I sent her back down for some basic math vs. exponents and logarithms, haha. Turns out I actually do have 16, then when I was observing her count, I realized one was missing, and I didn't bring it up!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I guess I’m odd man out here. I’ve owned a dozen or so Pete’s, all new but my current one. I find they don’t smoke well for me. They smoke very wet, a problem I don’t have with any other brand I have and the air flow is somehow strange to me. I love their looks, their history and their shapes but for me, they don’t work. Congrats if they work for you.

For me, the airflow on the Plips is unique and they do smoke differently than their fishtail offerings (just have to avoid the really wide ones). But I like them and they have some advantages that work for me, but I wouldn't describe them as "open" so to speak. I have some non-Petes that were instant revelations in terms of how well they smoke, but love my Petes. The systems smoke great, IMO, and I have to watch the smaller pipes in terms of "wet" but have adjusted my drying and technique for those, but I definitely don't have the years of experience most do.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not too long after that I decided that I needed to try the system and see how it compared to the Savinelli Dry System that I had stumbled across and enjoyed. When I did, I found that for me it was superior.
I really love the system pipes. I feel they work like advertised. Doing basically the same thing that a filter is supposed to do while not effecting draw at all and enhancing instead of distracting from some aspects of the flavor (I noticed that for me the more kitchen sink a blend is the more the system enhances the flavor, the less notes in a blend the more it tastes like any other pipe.). Never tried the Sav and in fact never bought a Sav though I have been planning on some day getting a bings favorite. (my taste is my taste and I seem to prefer bents and more straight style pipes I like with length).

Reactions: yanoJL and bullet08