PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Speaking of which, I heard a story over the weekend regarding Peterson/Laudisi.

Customer bought an Irish Harp series pipe from a local B&M. After a week or so he brought it back to the shop complaining that the finish was wearing off on his hands while smoking. It persisted after multiple smokes so he wanted to exchange it.
Seems like a reasonable request.

The salesman representing Laudisi denied a return or exchange. After being pressed, this salesman then offered a replacement for a 25% fee.

I think it took going over the salesman's head to get the replacement finally.

Not the only story I've heard about doing business with Arango or Laudisi, just the most recent.
SP would take that back under warranty - no problem and SP is Laudisi so surprised to hear that was an issue for the B&M, but in the end he got it handled. Sometimes it’s one person on a phone that doesn’t get customer service, and that’s unfortunate.

Reactions: bullet08

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
SP would take that back under warranty - no problem and SP is Laudisi so surprised to hear that was an issue for the B&M, but in the end he got it handled. Sometimes it’s one person on a phone that doesn’t get customer service, and that’s unfortunate.
Yes, I'm surprised he had any issues with a return. I only ever complained to SP once and they immediately offered a full refund.

I've also heard stories about new stain rubbing off. I've only had that problem with the red/purple finishes - of course it's inexcusable for any pipe - and since I otherwise loved the pipe, I chose to fix it, by rubbing on B&A Balm and then polishing. It was excess stain, so the B&A took it off and the pipe looked beautiful when done.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
My second oldest pipe is a Peterson system pipe that smokes great. I've been smoking that pipe for probably over 30 years.

However my most recent Peterson was a Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish. It was a gorgeous pipe that smoked like absolute crap. There was a HUGE gap between the end of the tenon and the back of the mortise. Almost like the stummel was made for a filter pipe but then was fitted with a non filter stem. If I had bought it from smoking pipes I would have returned it but I had bought it from pipedivan.com which I think is now james fox. So now that pipe has been traded into smokingpipes.com and I've bought a non peterson with the money.

If I buy another Peterson it will be a system pipe.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Speaking of which, I heard a story over the weekend regarding Peterson/Laudisi.

Customer bought an Irish Harp series pipe from a local B&M. After a week or so he brought it back to the shop complaining that the finish was wearing off on his hands while smoking. It persisted after multiple smokes so he wanted to exchange it.
Seems like a reasonable request.

The salesman representing Laudisi denied a return or exchange
. After being pressed, this salesman then offered a replacement for a 25% fee.

I think it took going over the salesman's head to get the replacement finally.

Not the only story I've heard about doing business with Arango or Laudisi, just the most recent.
So the salesman was actually the B&M employee not laudisi them selves?
I wonder if he would have got a different response by contacting laudisi.The B&M probably didn't want the hassle.Not excusing that of course

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
What is B&A balm?.
'Before and After' balm - one of Mark Hoover's products.

My second oldest pipe is a Peterson system pipe that smokes great. I've been smoking that pipe for probably over 30 years.

However my most recent Peterson was a Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish. It was a gorgeous pipe that smoked like absolute crap. There was a HUGE gap between the end of the tenon and the back of the mortise. Almost like the stummel was made for a filter pipe but then was fitted with a non filter stem. If I had bought it from smoking pipes I would have returned it but I had bought it from pipedivan.com which I think is now james fox. So now that pipe has been traded into smokingpipes.com and I've bought a non peterson with the money.

If I buy another Peterson it will be a system pipe.
New Petersons are much more likely to have problems - especially the lower-end ones. I'm curious if they are the only production pipes that aren't perfect. You never hear anyone complain about any other store-bought pipes, so I wonder.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
So the salesman was actually the B&M employee not laudisi them selves?
I wonder if he would have got a different response by contacting laudisi.The B&M probably didn't want the hassle.Not excusing that of course
Apologies if my wording was misleading. I frequent the B&M and the proprietor is a friend.

The salesman in question was a Laudisi employee over the phone.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm curious if they are the only production pipes that aren't perfect.
Of course not! The Peterson brand is extremely successful, ergo the brand generates a lot of envy. When you but a pipe, inspect it. If you define it as defective, move on to another choice. It's really that simple. Personally, I have a few Peterson pipes which provide very satisfactory smoking experiences, all the time, every time. Every brand is fully capable of putting a "stinker" out for retail purchase. Pipes of made from natural materials but humans. What could possibly go wrong? rotf

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Ive returned 2 pipes. One was a meer the other a Savinelli. I also have 9 Petersons and never returned a Pete. It would be interesting to know how many pipes Peterson sells every year and how it compares to other brands.

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have 8 Petersons counting this year's St. Pats limited I have on the way. I've never had any serious problems with any of them. My 2021 Christmas Hansom had off center drilling, too high, but it doesn't affect smoking in any way, I just can't run a cleaner without taking the stem off. My 68 Aran rusticated had a loose stem, but after a few smokes, it tightened up to normal. I like the look of all my Petes, none of them have been gurglers or poor smokers, which I've seen complaints about...but that has never been the case for me.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Ive returned 2 pipes. One was a meer the other a Savinelli. I also have 9 Petersons and never returned a Pete. It would be interesting to know how many pipes Peterson sells every year and how it compares to other brands.
This is the first I've read of a truly negative Savinelli experience (aside from the blue stain wearing off my Arcobaleno, which is a small issue to me since it smokes well).

What was the issue?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
'Before and After' balm - one of Mark Hoover's products.

New Petersons are much more likely to have problems - especially the lower-end ones. I'm curious if they are the only production pipes that aren't perfect. You never hear anyone complain about any other store-bought pipes, so I wonder.
Not sure I've got plenty of Savinelli's that I haven't had any issues with. I've had a few other cheaper brands that I won't buy again usually because the stem is pretty crappy and the draught hole is too small.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Of course not! The Peterson brand is extremely successful, ergo the brand generates a lot of envy. When you but a pipe, inspect it. If you define it as defective, move on to another choice. It's really that simple. Personally, I have a few Peterson pipes which provide very satisfactory smoking experiences, all the time, every time. Every brand is fully capable of putting a "stinker" out for retail purchase. Pipes of made from natural materials but humans. What could possibly go wrong? rotf
As you know, it was sort of a rhetorical question. :)

Reactions: seanv and bullet08

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I wonder how many pipe smokers order a pipe from the internet and just smoke it. They don’t look at anything. It is what they ordered and they light up. And it smokes just fine.

No matter the defects, the draught hole off center, whatever. It smokes fine. And they never notice.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I wonder how many pipe smokers order a pipe from the internet and just smoke it. They don’t look at anything. It is what they ordered and they light up. And it smokes just fine.

No matter the defects, the draught hole off center, whatever. It smokes fine. And they never notice.
Draught hole off center is not a defect. Let me know how you drill draught hole dead center to the bottom of chamber on a full bent pipe.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Draught hole off center is not a defect. Let me know how you drill draught hole dead center to the bottom of chamber on a full bent pipe.

I don’t think its a defect. I’m just echoing what most members on pipe forums always mention. I own two Petersons purchased in 2022 and I love them.

It’s a Factory pipe. These days i’d choose Peterson over Savinelli

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

That was me for over thirty years...until I discovered pipe forums :) You guys have taught me to look for things I never before considered. Even now, I only look for things out of curiosity - if it smokes nicely and doesn't have a glaring physical defect, we're good. But I agree with those who think that small physical issues are a sign of quality. If a pipe-maker takes the time to make everything perfect, even when it doesn't affect the smoking, then the qualities that DO affect smoking will probably be perfect as well. I've found this to be true of all my favorite artisan pipe-makers.