PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
dis tread here has da makins of a clasic...
tommy, ya ever cook up a young coon? dust him with flour, broun him in bacon grease n shove him in da oven for a couple hours while ya drinks shine outa a mason jar or sweet tea while smokin a cob n prince albert?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
You know, not to fan the flames or anything but I've noticed alot of those who won't smoke a cob state that "Its just a hollowed out plant with a reed stuck in the side."; I would feel somewhat remis if I didn't point out that a $20k artesian pipe is really "Just a hollowed out plant with a piece of plastic stuck in the side". Both have their time, and place - while I wouldn't sport a cob going into a business meeting, I wouldn't clench a briar in a belly-boat.
(Haunted)We all have to man up, act like we have a pair and not give a rat's ass what others think of our pipes or we have to start passing out tampons.

Finally, something to clean that wide open draw in my cobs!!!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Dammit. now I'm hungry for biscuits and want a belly boat. This thread is probably going to cause a run on MMs from people still on the fence. I added a MM legend to my new and rather small rotation and I like it. It may replace the Kaywoodie as my "walkin' around" pipe since if I accidently crushed it (which I am prone to do) I will only be out $5 and a 50+ year old pipe won't be destroyed. It's a short, sweet clean smoke.
I'm not terribly worried about what people think of it. I figure most of the time when people see me smoking a pipe of any kind they can tell I am enjoying life and are either pleased or envious. :puffy:

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Hey, Redneck was a derogatory term created by a bunch of elitests to dismiss the good ole, true blue, honest, working class. Who did things like explore, farm, fight wars, and engineered everything that was ever practical or fun.(From the tools we us to rope swings hanging from branchs over many rivers.) Today it seem to be the word to describe anyone who holds to the old fashioned values that made this country great. So this may be more than should be said, but we do live in an orwellian nightmare now. So I am a Texas redneck who is not prone to violence, but can be provoked to it. I drink my whiskey, scotch, and beer (expensive when times are good but cheap when things are tight.) I also drink tea with sugar in it. I have a wrecked motorcycle in the back yard, and the one I ride is in my bedroom. Although I have 4 children I never gave up my truck because of some claim about car seats.... Thats what her car is for. If we go as a family we go in the suburban, thats her car (by the way I drive on these outings). That is part of the fun of a family trip. Pileing into the wagon and heading off dad at the helm and mom on entertainment. Yup, we travel by car to destinations halfway across the country. Singing song and playing road sighn games all along the way.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I used to fish for bass in a belly boat all the time using a fly rod. I wonder if you could smoke a pipe at the same time????

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't use a belly boat.

I have one of these. I put 6" risers and comfy seats on mine.

With the little trolling motor and full charge in the battery it'll push my Dad, me and all of our junk around the lake all day.

Pulls about a 6" draft so we can get over those sandbars, up the feeder creeks and into those lovely honey holes that the big guys can't even think about drowning worms in.
It's a Bantam 3x by Bass Tracker.

It's a 8'-11" pontoon boat.

It's named the "Knot 4 Crusing"... Always gets a smile from those who "get it". :D

Definition: Boat; a hole in the water you throw money into.
634436831480521000rd3prjkt.jpg

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
Lawrence, I assume that you are a Marine, or have great respect for Marines. I just finished EB Sledge's book "With the Old Breed". I have a new respect for the Marine Core. Great boat by the way; when I was a kid, my brother and I had a flat bottom that was very similar.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I wouldn't be surprised that if an established carver were to begin offering Custom Cobs, which he/she claimed were made from organic corn, had a briar plug to prevent burnout, and had a gold or silver band, a hand-cut stem, and better fit and finish inside the bowl, and priced it at $450, he/she would be hard pressed to make enough. Every High-Ender would buy at least one, if not a seven-day-set. And all those Pipe Snobs to belittle anyone who smokes a lowly cob would surely jump on the bandwagon, even if they had to cut way back on buying their Boutique Blends.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
The best way to disarm a derogatory term is to embrace it. Redneck is simply a description given to people who work outside and get burned between their hat and their shirt. That being said, in our little corner of GA, we have 3 types of folk: the country folks who will accept a case of beer as payment for helping build a porch on the front of your mobile home and don't mind reaching over the fence to pet your dogs. Then you have the ignorant, toothless folks who think the way to cure a fever is to dive into ice water head first (it's supposed to force the fever to your feet.) Last, you have the mother-effing rednecks who never cut their grass, keep cars parked on the lawn next to the broken toilet, and ride ATVs on public roads where kids are playing.
I've always lived around the first kind and the last kind. The middle are a somewhat recent phenomenon to me - I got related to them by marriage - and we normally keep them up in the hills where they can't get internet access. It's interesting being married to a yankee though. First time we drove up to Hiawassee I had to translate. Now my dear ole husband says truck with two syllables. ;)

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
I started reading this thread last night and promised myself I'd smoke my cob (previously untouched) tonight. It's a MO Meerschaum with a forever stem.
Loaded it with Golden Extra. Nice, lightweight pipe... Cool dry smoke... Slight taste of Corn Pops cereal...does the corniness fade with use?
All in all not too damn bad! A unique and pleasant experience, a taste of Americana. Won't replace my briars but will become a regular smoke. I should have started out with one, it's very forgiving.
I'll be buying a freehand and one or two more smaller cobs for sure.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
When it comes to cobs, I can't get past the image of Mammy Yochum and banjo players from incest friendly backwoods.

That is every bit as ignorant and offensive as saying "I won't drink Malt Liquor because I can't get past the image of a bunch of homeboys playing dominoes and shooting crack." I wonder how a comment like THAT would have gone over.
It boggles the mind how some people manage to live their whole lives and still have such a retarded, cartoonish image in their heads about Southern men and women. I wonder what the original poster would do if he met me in person? If I stepped out of my pickup truck and he looked down at my bare feet and then up at my corncob pipe, would he snicker at the "goofy redneck" or would he ask what I was smoking?
Bigotry is ugly man, regardless of what group of people your passing judgment on. If your ever in Oklahoma hit me up, and I'll try to introduce you to some real good people who might change your misconceptions.

(EDIT TO ADD)

I'm not going to go back and read all three pages of this, I'll just assume you said something stupid and regret it. I do that all the time, lol. I just hope I don't see this kinda commentary again.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Allright everyone has had there fun and we are getting near death threats . I think we should close the thread and pick on Pete fans next . 8)

goodkat

Might Stick Around
May 31, 2011
That is every bit as ignorant and offensive as saying "I won't drink Malt Liquor because I can't get past the image of a bunch of homeboys playing dominoes and shooting crack." I wonder how a comment like THAT would have gone over.
It boggles the mind how some people manage to live their whole lives and still have such a retarded, cartoonish image in their heads about Southern men and women. I wonder what the original poster would do if he met me in person? If I stepped out of my pickup truck and he looked down at my bare feet and then up at my corncob pipe, would he snicker at the "goofy redneck" or would he ask what I was smoking?
Bigotry is ugly man, regardless of what group of people your passing judgment on. If your ever in Oklahoma hit me up, and I'll try to introduce you to some real good people who might change your misconceptions.

(EDIT TO ADD)

I'm not going to go back and read all three pages of this, I'll just assume you said something stupid and regret it. I do that all the time, lol. I just hope I don't see this kinda commentary again
Great post.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I agree... such thinking should be part of the past. It's about as intelligent as thinking just because you pay bigger dollars you get a better pipe. I have some Grabows I'll let them give a whirl to.

Status
Not open for further replies.