PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutch

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
I just bought a couple of cobs... They're waiting form me when I get home. The main reason I bought them is this. I too, was lured into pipe smoking a few years back becuase of the lifestyle and beautiful works of art. I didn't start "really" smoking one until a few MONTHS back. So I like to purchase the Savinelli or Vauen, the latter being my favorite and while I can't afford to purchase enough pipes to make a decent rotation, I will use the cobs to augment my rotation of pipes. That said, I can't wait to try it. After reading this thread, I was a little confused... Deliverence was a love story where I come from...

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
chuckles hundreds of years of monarchy inbreeding in Europe isn't really nothing to brag about for images. *chuckles*

Those that align themselves with appearances whether their own self-esteem boost or in judging others is superficial and unworthy of much comment at all.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Imagine my shock when I discovered I was a bearded fat guy pipe smoker
:D Heheheh
I dont take it personally that you guys dont like to smoke cobs.

The cobs they make nowadays are fairly cheap and not particularly well made.

That being said, theres a reason why tens of millions of them have been made.

They're pretty damn good smokers, one of the only true American pipe innovations, and a hell of a good value.

What does someone think of me when I'm smoking one ?

I'm just big and bad enough to absolutely not give a crap

But it does take a certain personality to talk any kind of smack to somebody thats 6'5 & 325

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
But it does take a certain personality to talk any kind of smack to somebody thats 6'5 & 325
Ok, you and me are gonna have to put on sumo shorts and toss each other out of the ring. I'd say lets put on the comical fat suits but too many pizzas have done that to me already and it would just make me sweat and make me grumpy!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
An excerpt from SMOKING AS A FINE ART, by A.A. Milne
In the last four years there has grown up a new school of pipe- smokers, by which (I suspect) I am hardly regarded as a pipe- smoker at all. This school buys its pipes always at one particular shop; its pupils would as soon think of smoking a pipe without the white spot as of smoking brown paper. So far are they from smoking brown paper that each one of them has his tobacco specially blended according to the colour of his hair, his taste in revues, and the locality in which he lives. The first blend is naturally not the ideal one. It is only when he has been a confirmed smoker for at least three months, and knows the best and worst of all tobaccos, that his exact requirements can be satisfied.

So I feel that it is we of the older school who do most of the smoking. We smoke unconsciously while we are doing other things; THEY try, but not very successfully, to do other things while they are consciously smoking. No doubt they despise us, and tell themselves that we are not real smokers, but I fancy that they feel a little uneasy sometimes. For my young friends are always trying to persuade me to join their school, to become one of the white-spotted ones. I have no desire to be of their company, but I am prepared to make a suggestion to the founder of the school. It is that he should invent a pipe, white spot and all, which smokes itself. His pupils could hang it in the mouth as picturesquely as before, but the incidental bother of keeping it alight would no longer trouble them.
(1920)

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Hey now! I live where Deliverance was filmed. I built classic drag racecars with Daddy. Now we build computers and compete in squirrel (photo)shooting competitions. I grow 3' tall daisies in the side yard and live 5 minutes from the biscuit shack. Us rednecks know how to live life!
5855287056_fcc26a7eb6_z.jpg

4653661996_7046646a60_z.jpg

3985649924_a045b80cb7.jpg

3962520774_db7c8f1e7a_z.jpg

3788396449_0c78ce35b5_z.jpg

3788389451_4f30f7c181_z.jpg

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Biscuits go with everything. Actually, they served biscuits in the morning (gravy, bacon, honey, whatever you wanted) and ice cream in the afternoon. It was closed at dinner.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Here's one from when I was a toddler and we lived in Suwanee. Dad never got over losing those cars but Mom won out with the "you can't put a carseat in a truck" argument.
5854808385_7f2bb01f96_z.jpg

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
Mom won out with the "you can't put a carseat in a truck" argument.
Despite being wrong, that very argument just cost me my Jeep Wrangler. Had to trade it in for something "safer" that I could put a baby seat into. If SWMBO ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
My father-in-law (a cigar smoker) and I were discussing pipe smoking, and he mentioned that he associated pipe smoking with farmers, like his grandfather. I quickly asked what type of pipe his grandfather smoked, and to my surprise he said a briar. We all have our perceptions surrounding, and reasons for, smoking pipes. As long as you enjoy the hobby and you let others do the same I think it is just fine; everyone's opinion is valid and valued. So here is mine:
I do have an MM and I think it smokes great, especially around a campfire. Although, if I was to forever live on an island with only one pipe, my corncob would be left behind. On that same line of logic if I were to take a pipe to smoke at a wedding reception it would not be the corncob either. So I guess I have my own hang-ups, but I would argue corncobs are, like MM's advertisement promotes, part of the American character.
Oh! I forgot, biscuits do go with everything. Thank God for my Kentucky roots.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Lol I drive past Larry's Biscuits every morning on my way to work. Right across from the "Corn Maze."
As far as smoking cobs go, I wouldn't be against smoking some of them; I actually like some of the styles MM makes. I have one that I've been meaning to try out. After reading this thread, I may just give it a go.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
My first pipe was a MM with Prince Albert. It changed my life. I feel sorry for the guy who never gets the chance to become a better person because of misguided fear.... You can take my corn cob and shove it, up someth'n else that has to do with corn.
I smoke briars too. 2 months and the old lady is pissed because I have 22 pipes. Some of them were not cheap, but I think the corn cobs look cool:)

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I just gave my MM freehand a second chance the other night. Not bad, but definitely not the greatest smoke I've had. I also found out after I finished the bowl that I'd forgotten to take out the damn filter. Felt like I was trying to suck water through a blocked garden hose.
Next try should prove to be much different....I hope...

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
bootlegbonvivant. you should find it smokes much, much better minus the filter. You might want to read my Corncob Primer to get the most out of your Freehand.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Yeah, I think it was mostly that filter. Any briar that I get that has a filter, I usually remove it. Not sure what happened there. I've already removed the filter and threw it out, so I'm sure the next smoke will be different.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Come to my house,..I'll show you two red-necks.
My wife and I both grew up in trailers back in the 60's....and it goes downhill from there.
To this day with with all the money we have,.....we still drink out of jelly glasses 'cause they're free, and my Jack-n-Cokes have never been had out of anything but Mason Jars, one of our favorite dinners is a pot of beans and a skillet of cornbread and we love Mark Martin! :D
Sorry Romeo, no pics of my cousin,....once you post something on the internet it never goes away.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Tommy, I might take you up sometime on the beans and cornbread! Nothing finer! (Don't forget the Brer Rabbit syrup on buttered cornbread for dessert!)
I have a couple of jelly tumblers I use for glasses also. I haven't seen jelly put up in tumblers for a long time. :(

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Sorry Romeo, no pics of my cousin,....once you post something on the internet it never goes away.
That is so true Tommy. The one time I put on a thong to feel skinny, the kids snapped a pic and now its out there for eternity. Thank goodness I have an ass you could bounce a quarter off of.
fat-guys-in-thongs-fat-guy-thong-funny-stairs-demotivational-poster-12560134701.jpg

This is me on a full size harley. I'm tired of people asking me where I got the mini bike.
fat-guys05.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.