PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The only pipe I took to the Chicago Pipe Show is my cob, which I had modified to be shorter. I expected to try multiple bowls of different blends and didn't want to worry about ghosting. At home, I only use it to try new blends. As a woodworker, the cob is not my style, but it has it's place.
Winton

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
A cob is a cob. It lets me try a new blend without any bias from the briar, I get to see the joys of a stain developing without buying a meerschaum and each one is a little different. As for the image of them, well, just buy one, smoke it and forget about it while you do something else. you'll be surprised.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
antipodesman, you are entitled to smoke whatever you prefer, but why do you feel a need to start a thread insulting corncobs and smokers of corncobs? The comments you made don't reflect poorly on corncobs, but they do reflect poorly on you. I how know you to be a thoughtless lowbrow, and could come to several conclusions about you, if I felt you were worth my time and effort. If nothing else, you have proven that not all pipe smokers are high class individuals.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I didn't read his post as insulting in the least. Just stating why he doesn't smoke a cob? I have 3 cobs that I try and smoke, but I really really dislike the plastic bits. I was thinking of getting replacement ones for it, but then the cost of my 10 dollar cob went to 30 dollars. Still debating it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I like the fact the cobs are so cheap it really doesn't matter if you char the rim or even burn a hole through it. They are pretty good for finding out if you like a blend. I don't usually smoke my cob too often. Tend to smoke it more in the winter time. Guess the whole "Frosty the Snowman with a corn cob pipe" thing works its magic on me and gets me smoking my cob more in the winter. The image that always comes to my mind with a cob is either Frosty or General MacArthur. To each his own I guess.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I have no cob pipes just because I haven't gotten one yet. (I have thought about even trying my hand at making one). Some of the wisest men I have ever known smoked cheap unremarkable pipes. (usually briars) I myself prefer my meers and have three now. I also have three briars. I know compaired to many of you thats a doodle. I have chosen my pipes well as they all smoke fabulously, even the meer that seems to gurgle abit at times. I think that dismissing a type of pipe because of image is a reflection of insecurity on your part. However I don't judge you for that we have a society that is frot with prejudices. I rather invite you to face this as an oppertunity to grow, and challenge you to get the cheapest cob pipe you can find. Then smoke it in your favorite tobacco shop, while having a normal conversation with the others sitting around you. My wife was abit intrepid about smoking a pipe when I asked her to switch. Then I took her to a nice place in rice village where they had many ladies pipes and some beautiful young ladies assisted her in picking one out. Now she takes it with her to our favorite hang outs and smokes it. The other ladies there only commented on how beautiful her pipe was; and how cool she is for being her own person, and free to do as she felt. Another liberating experience brought to you by stepping out of the limits of your own prejudice.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
"In my mind, the corn cob pipe is a tangible symbol of a bygone era. Corn cob pipes are the tobacco-smoking instrument of the common man: those who surveyed their surroundings and did what they could with what little they had. These were men of thrift, and resourcefulness. They are the pipes of hard times, when men knew how to work with their hands, when they did what was required without complaint; when men were hard, lest they perish."

This is a statement out of http://artofmanliness.com/.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Dont forget that many of the things we enjoy such as Bacon, chili, whiskey, beer, tobacco, pickles, bread, levis (blue jeans), boots, fishing, racing, blues music (along with jazz and country and even rock and roll) were trends set by the poor. Along with many many other things.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
antipodesman, you are entitled to smoke whatever you prefer, but why do you feel a need to start a thread insulting corncobs and smokers of corncobs? The comments you made don't reflect poorly on corncobs, but they do reflect poorly on you. I how know you to be a thoughtless lowbrow, and could come to several conclusions about you, if I felt you were worth my time and effort. If nothing else, you have proven that not all pipe smokers are high class individuals.
Point taken tilt. Once again no offence meant to cob smokers and truly my comments reflect on me and my preferences.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
some of you folks would laugh at the shitty pipes I smoke. All estates, some with a crummy finish. My high end pipe is a new Grabow, or maybe my Kaywoodie is my premier lady killer. Hell, I just cracked the bowl of that new pipe I bought in Ft. Worth. Dropped the damn thing when it slipped out the little bag I had it in, packing it in my saddle bag on the bike. Still smokes though. Maybe I will wrap a hose clamp or some stainless steel fence wire around it to keep it from falling apart.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC

Remember that thread where a member took offence to perceived lack of respect for Dunhills? John, as a figurehead in the pipe smoking community, you should take things less personally, and allow pipe smokers to discuss their preferences without making personal attacks.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
you have proven that not all pipe smokers are high class individuals.
I'm a bit ashamed to look up to you right now.
Ladies, ladies...
if we can't properly discuss women needing/not needing a $200 pipe for their first smoke ever, when most men probably started on a Brylon stolen from a drunken uncle, how can we ever expect to get along?
This cob business must wait until we get more important matters settled!

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Portascat, about the pipes with crumy finishes. I had one that was sevearly ugly, I sanded it down with some fine paper 180 grit I think. Anyway I found a beautiful wood grain under all that stain. Then I just use some wood lotion and rubbd it on there Its very nice looking now. Just thought I would throw that out there for ya if you want. Also about the cracked pipe, it might be inteersting to use some colored curtain thread and wrap the bowl in a multicolored pattern then use some clear high temp epoxy to coat the out side. Anyway just some ideas if youy want them.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I say we settle this matter in a gentlemanly manner.

Dueling pistols at 15 paces.

Hear ye, hear ye.

The winner will establishe once and for all that his pipe IS the best pipe, and then we can move on to the larger matters at hand.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
When it comes to cobs, I can't get past the image of Mammy Yochum and banjo players from incest friendly backwoods
You aren't alone in that image! If others like them, hey enjoy, but the image stays in my mind.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The thread is supposed to be Why you dont smoke a cob . Not Why you defend it . At the low price point I believe everyone has one , but does everyone smoke them daily ? And if given a choice between briar and corn is there a contest . And by the way no one smokes cheaper briar than me on most days .Enjoy what you like . :D

Status
Not open for further replies.