PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
and if you're like me you really don't care how long an order is going to take since most of the order is going to go into the cellar for a little while anyways I try to order well before I am opening the next tin or whatever. Which is another thing to consider. How are most customers doing their orders are they at least somewhat in advance. And if really want the package fast paying more isn't that big of an issue.

Reactions: shanez and lawdawg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here is something that a lot of people fail to recognize and consider when thinking about companies shipping items.

They only think about their package and the extra $3 or whatever and think;
"Is $3 going to kill this company? They should really just eat the $3 and give me better shipping!"

Here is the actuality of it. We'll say a company does 1000 orders a day. Well its not just $3 anymore. It's $3 x 1000 orders which now equals $3000 extra shipping that day. Multiply that by 7 days equals an additional $21,000 in shipping expenses for the week. That can cripple a company.

Even if they only did 500 orders a day that would still be an additional $10,500 a week in expenses. Which can have a huge affect on a company.

Keep in mind that it's not only "your" shipment, it's every shipment.

Look at the big picture, not how it effects just you.

My expectations for customer service is how well they package and ship it out. Once it's out of their hands, it's the delivery company that's responsible.

If I choose free shipping, possibly longer wait times are what I'm agreeing to. If I need it quicker, I pay extra shipping.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
important note sometimes companies like Amazon will shot themselves in the foot if it kills competition. They ship in a way that costs them but makes customers expect shipping that fast and it works for them because they have the money to blow. Then when there is less competition they can make up the loss. Huge companies do that all the time. Classic example in India locals made these disposable clay cups in those markets plastic disposable cups were sold at a loss so they could be cheaper then the clay cups right up until enough competition has been eliminated then the price gouging begins. Cigarette companies do that in markets that have been dominated by local products. Because from their perspective it an investment that they can afford to wait for the pay off. Look at netflix and how much their quality has gone down after they became the main game in town.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Here is exactly why:

We didn't use Surepost for years. We offered either USPS Priority or UPS Ground, depending on weight and destination. In a nutshell: Ground is cheap and really fast close by (shipping from us to, say, Charlotte, NC) and Priority is faster across the country. However, Priority gets very expensive with high weight shipments.

UPS changed their rules about shipping tobacco to require that all UPS shipments get Adult Signature upon delivery. This is both expensive (about $5) and a pain in the ass for customers (and we're age verifying at checkout anyway and therefore compliant with federal law).

We stopped shipping UPS entirely to consumers while we sorted it out with UPS.

It became apparent that Surepost could go without Adult Signature and Surepost is priced (in alignment with, though less) than Ground.

Hence, we started shipping Surepost because continuing to ship 4lb packages that we sell for $100 by Priority was untenable.

However, now, in round 2 of implementation of that (that was deployed last week; I don't know when your order was, BROBS), we're subsidizing non-free options. So the difference between Priority (for which you would pay something) and Surepost shouldn't be all that great (to figure it out properly, I'd need the weight, value and destination zip code of your package).

So, why did we do this? Because UPS pulled our preferred (more expensive to us) service and USPS Priority is just very expensive on a per pound basis after the first couple of pounds, so we need some way to ship 5lbs of Lane 1Q (or a bunch of tins) cheaply enough that we can offer free shipping at $95.

Sykes
Thank you, Sykes, for this detailed answer to BROB's question. When my SPC order went out via Surepost a couple of months ago, I figured it had something to do with the package weight being over a certain limit, and it turns out I was correct. I was a little frustrated at first, but it ended up arriving sooner than UPS/USPS said, and the situation certainly hasn't dissuaded me from ordering from you guys in the future.

I'm not sure why more of my fellow forum members haven't acknowledged this post. I mean, it has many "likes" but it seems like those who were bitching about the situation just went straight back to bitching about it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
These things. AHHHHH!

1 degree at a time and over the top as already pointed out. It's not hard to remember.
YPU LE
SP.com has done me right over the years. This whole “lock down thing” is messing with some of us. It will be alright. Sit back grab a ☕, load a bowl of something, and let’s not focus on what we can’t control. Love yas!?
I think a lot of people took my post the wrong way. BASICALLY SUREPOST SUCKS, THAT IS MY COMMENT. I understand their reason for using it and now I know to try to avoid it if possible by upgrading or just not utilizing the free shipping. ?

just have been spoiled by straight USPS for so long.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
YPU LE

I think a lot of people took my post the wrong way. BASICALLY SUREPOST SUCKS, THAT IS MY COMMENT. I understand their reason for using it and now I know to try to avoid it if possible by upgrading or just not utilizing the free shipping. ?
@BROBS just think of this. Whatever is in that ? will be the greatest stuff ever!....”WHAT’S IN THE ??”??☕

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I do appreciate your ability to take incoming. I sometimes do it with my friends to give them something to bitch about...blow off steam. Good show man!?☕
Haha I just think it kind of got received a bit differently than I had intended. I simply wanted to voice my frustration with the surepost service. I mean, google their company and read the reviews, it’s often hilarious.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
A package that i ordered from P&C has been “in transit” in Carrollton, TX since Thursday, June 11. It has not updated since then. Now the next step for this package is only to change hands in Carrollton from UPS to USPS. Never been to Carrollton, but I can’t imagine that the city is so big that it takes five days to get from the UPS center to the USPS center that are both in the same damn town, coronavirus be damned.

My opinion on it:
If Surepost is how companies have to ship certain orders, my only request is that it is indicated as “Surepost” or whatever in the shipping options, instead of it saying “ground,” so that I can avoid it.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Brobs, your point seems to have been muddled, but not lost in the translation. I get what you’re saying!

It’s frustrating to witness gross inefficiency and even more so when you’re on the receiving end. You’re also paying for it, although in a roundabout way, which adds to the annoyance.

I think it’s beneficial to share this frustration with online retailers as the “experience” can be ruined with poor service down the line.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Surepost is just a hybrid. UPS/FEDEX picks it up standard sized boxes and dumps it into the US Postal system to save money. The cost reduction for the shop can be as much as 50% over standard shipping rates.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.