PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
My last few orders from them practically showed up before I was done paying. If anyone here lives near them and visits their shop tell them to keep up the most excellent work!
Re, Storyteller, they are good folks who are really trying to be customer service driven, and my two experiences with them were first rate. I particularly appreciate that they use really thick (maybe clear Mylar, but I am not a materials engineer) heat sealed bags to ship even small quantities of bulk.

There are only two issues that I see:
(1) They are in Illinois and have the same tax reporting requirements as Iwan Ries, not an issue in my state, but it is for many others;

(2) I know from my own experience that you can ship up to maybe 12 or 13 ounces of bulk in a small cardboard box and make the under one pound limit for First Class package service. My last order was for 7 ounces of GH Mixture #25 (all that was left) and I had to pay $8 or so for priority mail. These days, First Class Package is almost always as fast. I no longer care enough about getting shipping for free to order more tobacco than I really want, but damn it, I still can’t smoke shipping costs, so I want those charges to be as low as possible. Only a couple of bucks, but aggravating. @georged is a wise man, TANSTAAFL, but I don’t like overpaying when I buy anything.

I noticed that they shipped the package using USPS Cubic Priority rate through a 3rd party service called PirateShip. Fortuitously, there was a thread on another pipe tobacco forum about then that had some comments (somewhat OT) delving into PirateShip. Seems like several people loved the interface, but a few others said it forced you into using this Priority Cubic class of service, when you really had less expensive options with other rate options. Apparently, that is a relatively new rate class option that they are able to discount and advertise as an incredible money saving deal that, at least according to a few people who have looked under the hood, is over hyped.

But Storyteller really does seem to be the real deal.

Reactions: shanez

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Do they think the customer doesn’t care?

I certainly don't. With two small businesses, three young kids, and about a dozen other hobbies competing for my attention putting time and/or energy into stressing over a tobacco delivery date is way off my radar. Getting my hands on something delicious to stuff in my bowl is never an issue and if I ever find myself in a rush I'll just choose an expedited shipping option. Some things just aren't worth getting upset about. If you have tobacco headed your way and the shipping was free then at an absolute minimum your glass is half full.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
And that is pretty much what we tried to engineer by subsidizing options that aren't Surepost.
Good news. Must not have kicked in yet with my last order because I have been checking. I would explore all options at regular intervals before going the Surepost method...

Reactions: ofafeather

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Re, Storyteller, they are good folks who are really trying to be customer service driven, and my two experiences with them were first rate. I particularly appreciate that they use really thick (maybe clear Mylar, but I am not a materials engineer) heat sealed bags to ship even small quantities of bulk.

There are only two issues that I see:
(1) They are in Illinois and have the same tax reporting requirements as Iwan Ries, not an issue in my state, but it is for many others;

(2) I know from my own experience that you can ship up to maybe 12 or 13 ounces of bulk in a small cardboard box and make the under one pound limit for First Class package service. My last order was for 7 ounces of GH Mixture #25 (all that was left) and I had to pay $8 or so for priority mail. These days, First Class Package is almost always as fast. I no longer care enough about getting shipping for free to order more tobacco than I really want, but damn it, I still can’t smoke shipping costs, so I want those charges to be as low as possible. Only a couple of bucks, but aggravating. @georged is a wise man, TANSTAAFL, but I don’t like overpaying when I buy anything.

I noticed that they shipped the package using USPS Cubic Priority rate through a 3rd party service called PirateShip. Fortuitously, there was a thread on another pipe tobacco forum about then that had some comments (somewhat OT) delving into PirateShip. Seems like several people loved the interface, but a few others said it forced you into using this Priority Cubic class of service, when you really had less expensive options with other rate options. Apparently, that is a relatively new rate class option that they are able to discount and advertise as an incredible money saving deal that, at least according to a few people who have looked under the hood, is over hyped.

But Storyteller really does seem to be the real deal.
I placed my order around 4:30 PM Vegas time. They had my packaged shipped the same day.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I think one thing that may be getting overlooked here is we, or at least I, are/am used to fast shipping from Smoking Pipes and that appears to have changed. Fast shipping or slow shipping isn't an issue to me as long as I know before I pull the trigger. I know, I know, caveat emptor right? True but when you get used to something and it suddenly changes it can throw you for a loop.

Following the change upstream it appears to be a result of new gov regulations. Those people ruin everything they touch.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I placed my order around 4:30 PM Vegas time. They had my packaged shipped the same day.

Pfffft...

I phone ordered some tobacco last week, and a quarter second after giving the last digit of my cc number there was a gentle thump on the floor behind me. The SP guy said, "It looks like your order has been delivered. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Pfffft...

I phone ordered some tobacco last week, and a quarter second after giving the last digit of my cc number there was a gentle thump on the floor behind me. The SP guy said, "It looks like your order has been delivered. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
You set him to work polishing stems then? ?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
P&C lowered their free ship threshold for a few days, so I placed an order.

As someone else said earlier, I can't smoke shipping fees, so I, personally, always shoot for the free S&H.

Order was placed on Saturday 6/6 and arrived Saturday 6/13. I felt that was reasonable.

Most of us have enough tobacco lying around, who cares how long it takes?

We all now see everything through "amazon colored glasses"...

1592262746655.jpeg

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
When did the change occur? I just ordered a lb of Balkan Supreme two tins of Maltese Falcon and an estate pipe last Monday. Free shipping and it arrived Thursday. I was pleased....never mind. Read page two of thread.

Reactions: BROBS

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
P&C lowered their free ship threshold for a few days, so I placed an order.

As someone else said earlier, I can't smoke shipping fees, so I, personally, always shoot for the free S&H.

Order was placed on Saturday 6/6 and arrived Saturday 6/13. I felt that was reasonable.

Most of us have enough tobacco lying around, who cares how long it takes?

We all now see everything through "amazon colored glasses"...

View attachment 33406
Sure I'm used to getting my SP orders within 3 days. But, if it now takes 6-7, don't mind. I always buy my stuff from them as they're the sellers most likely to have the blends in stock I want.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is poetry. I couldn't figure out why it bugged me so much until I read this.
Like if you knew how close all these places are you would wonder how it’s possible to take 3 days to transit a few hours. Dubuque is 1.5 hours straight east of here. Davenport is further away 2 hours SE. So the package is getting jockeyed all over not even always moving towards the destination. Sometimes going further away for a day just to chill!
8D8693A2-8475-48EE-A4D6-BAF3BD6FC3A6.png
and then they will give it to the post office to hopefully deliver tomorrow.

@swilford there is your savings. Can’t make up the difference for priority off selling a $2k-$5k pipe?

Reactions: Magpiety and 3rdguy

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I am not concerned about the time. The problem at P&C was they sold stuff they ended up not having in stock or they screwed up the shipping some other way. Their overall system is horribly screwed up.

+1 on both shipping time and P&C's general problems.

I sometimes get excited to try a new blend I've ordered, but waiting a week or so is hardly any big deal, and like most of you I've got plenty of good baccy on hand. Good things often take a little time. By comparison, there are watch collectors that wait months and often times years on an authorized dealer's waitlist to buy a particular watch. Hell, I ordered a new suit (with some custom alterations) from Brooks Brothers back at the beginning of the year when they were on a steep sale, and I just got it a couple weeks ago.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'll pay .50 more per tin if they use USPS. Happy?
You say that, I agree that I am willing to pay more for excellent service. But Amazon has people trained to expect free shipping. I deal with this every day.

I've never understood why any of the websites would discount any items that are in short supply. Makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.