PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Not at all, but it does show a use of flawed briar. I know artisans that use the same tactic.
Yes you're right. You can buy the best briar available and find yourself with a flaw. It's all the same anyway, the sandblasted pipe will look great and you won't get a giant putty stain after a few smokes. And I'm not saying I've seen little fillers, I don't care about those. I'm talking about embarrassing pieces of putty.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Got any from the '50s?

Here's something from early on.

Chris collection is huge. I will look.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I guess I'll take the bait, this time around. So, enjoy.
I was among those who talked about Dunhill to bad mouth them with confidence without knowing what they were talking about: I didn't own one.
Then, one day, after 33 years in pipe smoking, very disappointed by several other brabds, I decided to buy a new one.
Quickly, I bought another. And another. And another. Now, I own 28. I don't smoke any other brand because I immediately see the difference.
Not estates. To which God knows what was done to them by the previous owners.
Right, @Chasing Embers?
So you, and others, can also criticize and laugh at my assessment but the reality is you guys don't know what you're talking about.
Buy a couple of new ones and then you'll be in a position to say whatever you want about them.
So, I've had my fill with people that pass judgement and have no clue what they are talking about.

As for customer service supposedly gone down the drain mentioned by someone (was it Sables?), I also disagree.
I recently bought 2 White Spot, 1 had scratches, the other one didn't pass a pipe cleaner.
I also joined another one which the stem, for some reason, was oxidized upon purchase.
Was it the factory, or the dealer? Who knows.
Yeah, stuff happens, they're made by humans.
The difference is in the way the issues are dealt with.
I contacted the factory, explaining the issues.
They replied quickly to my email (within 30 min.) and took charge of the situation.
They sent a courier (DHL) to my house, free of charge, the very next day.
3 days after they were received by them, I was told they were fixed and ready to go back.
And they were dropped at my house by the same courier, again, free of charge.
I am truly satisfied by their corrective measures and the way they handled things.
Try to beat that. They stand by their product and do still honor their guarantee, contrary to many others that say 'ah we're so sorry' and then tell you to go pond sand.
That is also what you're buying into when you purchase a new White Spot. A 2 year warranty.
They will fix the problem or replace the pipe. And they won't make you wait.
Now.
Next time you wanna talk about the White Spot, know what you're talking about.
Or shush it.
I’m not clear on how many of each whatsit we need need to own before we’re allowed to comment on said whatsit.
Please clarify.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Probably still depends on the lines. There's also this.

Yes Probably. But the catalogs clearly show a trend that continues to this day. For now we see that except in a tobacco shop in Sarasota in 1947 the trend continues. Also taking into account that the Kaywoodies start at 3.5. Also in none of the catalogs are Dunhills ODA, or Dunhill with Stars, which we could assume would be even more expensive. But always speaking of the price, not the quality of the pipes, from what I have seen Kaywoodie made excellent pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes Probably. But the catalogs clearly show a trend that continues to this day. For now we see that except in a tobacco shop in Sarasota in 1947 the trend continues. Also taking into account that the Kaywoodies start at 3.5. Also in none of the catalogs are Dunhills ODA, or Dunhill with Stars, which we could assume would be even more expensive. But always speaking of the price, not the quality of the pipes, from what I have seen Kaywoodie made excellent pipes.
Could just be dealer adjustments as well.

Reactions: Alejo R.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have 18 to 20 Dunhills. Most of them from the 50’s and 60’s . I like the way they smoke, I like the history, I like they hold their value. Best? Most expensive? There will always be this argument. I like old Dunhills , Charatans and Upshalls far, far more than Peterson’s, Savinelli or any other brands. That’s just my opinion. You mileage may vary. I don’t really care.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Two entirely different companies. Miles apart when it comes to products.
and if you think about it. At this point being good at selling one of those sets of products wouldn't make you good at selling the other. So makes sense to split them up and have two companies that are succeeding at what they do then one that has to work at cross proposes with it's own self.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
thought about it and the only way to get a good answer is not to go broad. But to ask people who buy Dunhills why they thought it was worth the price. And not people that found a good estate deal either. That's going to really give you the best answer. So maybe a thread asking a more pointed and targeted question.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Alfred Dunhill was great at inventing and selling luxury products. He started selling luxury leather goods to the carriage trade, then morphed into high end automotive accessories (He is credited by some with inventing the dash clock for autos in the late 1800's.) He saw a market in his high end customers for tobacco blends and then pipes.

After Alfred's death the heirs sold the luxury product part of the company. It is now wholly owned by a privately held Swiss company which also acquired Mont Blanc pens from Dunhill and other brands. The company changed the logo to a lower case dee so, "dunhill"!

The Dunhill heirs started "White Spot."

Some people value the Dunhill pipe legacy enough to put a premium on the Dunhill, not the White Spot, pipes. They are willing to pay what some view as exhorbitant prices for original pipes. It's more or less an niche market, very specialized. Today they are selling at a market value set by the collectors and others who simply wish to own a piece or important pipe history. It's not the pipe so much as "Alfred P. Dunhill's" connection as he was the force and brains behind the brand.

Some smokers simply want to own a "Dunhill" and smoke it. For others, the rather tenuous connection to Alred suffices through the "White Spot" product. Those are Dunhills but, not really.

Back to the original post. Sellers set a price and buyers usually reset it.

Status
Not open for further replies.