PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
some people insist they are better smoking some say they aren't. There isn't a way to test a matter of opinion concretely. Do certain foods taste better? The main thing that really drives up the prices in a pipe in my opinion at least a factory pipe is quality control. If they reject more pipes based on their criteria then they have to make up the difference somehow. That's my theory. Now what they consider acceptable or best is just that what they consider best. Of course this is based off vegetables. I've worked in the food industry too long and some shops have great vegies that cost more because they throw out or donate the less desirable ones. I assume the same general thing is happening here.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Why does a Polo tshirt cost 3x of a no name?
One thing I’ll give to Dunhills (White Spots nowadays because they don’t want to be associated with un-PC stuff, they prefer to marked abysmal metrobullshit clothes for androgynous…creatures) is that they keep producing impeccable looking classic shapes. Then again so does Peterson and Savinelli, even if not quite as refined.
Edit: damn I just saw the sox estate find post. Simple classic shapes done better than most. No bullshit, gimmicks or anything like that, just elegant.

Last edited:

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Sense we are on this topic. I bought a dunhill back in the beginning and it was an OLD one. It had a couple scratches in the stem but i didnt care i figured i would just fill them in with the good ol charcoal and super glue lol. No matter how much i buffed the stem i couldnt get the white dot white again? Could it be ivory if the pipe is old enough? The nomenclature only has Dunhill over London. I can read the rest with a jewelers loop. But a micro shot did ok. If you guys can discern something from it I would be in your debt.20220426_130214.jpg20220426_130808.jpg20220426_130636.jpg20220426_130911.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It already has been mentioned why Dunhills are expensive. But what I would like to add is that it’s also a marketing strategy. It’s called the ‘Exclusive Value Principle‘. It argues that positioning a brand carefully with a prestige pricing approach, reinforces a positive (even exclusive) brand image in the mind of the customer. And so people naturally assume that Dunhill is the most exclusive pipe brand.
Yup! And the Alfred figured that all out well before the social scientists got a hold of the idea!

I feel lucky to own a half dozen pipes, all estate purchases, none over $250, some under $75.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Puffaluffaguss- great new name!​

Your photos all have a real glare on them from uneven lighting. Used flash? Try to get softer light coming from two directions, so we can read better.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Sense we are on this topic. I bought a dunhill back in the beginning and it was an OLD one. It had a couple scratches in the stem but i didnt care i figured i would just fill them in with the good ol charcoal and super glue lol. No matter how much i buffed the stem i couldnt get the white dot white again? Could it be ivory if the pipe is old enough? The nomenclature only has Dunhill over London. I can read the rest with a jewelers loop. But a micro shot did ok. If you guys can discern something from it I would be in your debt.View attachment 142142View attachment 142143View attachment 142144View attachment 142145
Is it possible that a Savinelli Punto Oro stem with a brass dot was fitted onto your Dunhill stummel?

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I don't think so I've restored a guibilio di oro and the brass dots were nearly invisible and I got those little suckers to shine. I'll post better picks as soon as I get home

Reactions: jpmcwjr

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Sense we are on this topic. I bought a dunhill back in the beginning and it was an OLD one. It had a couple scratches in the stem but i didnt care i figured i would just fill them in with the good ol charcoal and super glue lol. No matter how much i buffed the stem i couldnt get the white dot white again? Could it be ivory if the pipe is old enough? The nomenclature only has Dunhill over London. I can read the rest with a jewelers loop. But a micro shot did ok. If you guys can discern something from it I would be in your debt.View attachment 142142View attachment 142143View attachment 142144View attachment 142145
1937. Beautiful! Your white dot will need to be replaced, which is a fairly easy thing to do if you’re at all handy with stuff like that. Drill out the old one, glue in a new one and sand it flush.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One thing I’ll give to Dunhills (White Spots nowadays because they don’t want to be associated with un-PC stuff, they prefer to marked abysmal metrobullshit clothes for androgynous…creatures) is that they keep producing impeccable looking classic shapes.
Two entirely different companies. Miles apart when it comes to products.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
1937. Beautiful! Your white dot will need to be replaced, which is a fairly easy thing to do if you’re at all handy with stuff like that. Drill out the old one, glue in a new one and sand it flush.
Wow!! I had no idea it was that old. I think I can manage that. I have to try and lvl off the fill a Lil more to. So that will give me a reason.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pricing in itself is a psychological tool. Young artists often try to price their paintings at the highest imaginable point that they might be bought on the basis that asking any less means people will think you don't think much of your own work, whereas if you ask a whole lot, you are ambitious and will go far. This sometimes works.

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Don’t worry, I’ve ??at his posts as well…..!?
I guess I'll take the bait, this time around. So, enjoy.
I was among those who talked about Dunhill to bad mouth them with confidence without knowing what they were talking about: I didn't own one.
Then, one day, after 33 years in pipe smoking, very disappointed by several other brabds, I decided to buy a new one.
Quickly, I bought another. And another. And another. Now, I own 28. I don't smoke any other brand because I immediately see the difference.
Not estates. To which God knows what was done to them by the previous owners.
Right, @Chasing Embers?
So you, and others, can also criticize and laugh at my assessment but the reality is you guys don't know what you're talking about.
Buy a couple of new ones and then you'll be in a position to say whatever you want about them.
So, I've had my fill with people that pass judgement and have no clue what they are talking about.

As for customer service supposedly gone down the drain mentioned by someone (was it Sables?), I also disagree.
I recently bought 2 White Spot, 1 had scratches, the other one didn't pass a pipe cleaner.
I also joined another one which the stem, for some reason, was oxidized upon purchase.
Was it the factory, or the dealer? Who knows.
Yeah, stuff happens, they're made by humans.
The difference is in the way the issues are dealt with.
I contacted the factory, explaining the issues.
They replied quickly to my email (within 30 min.) and took charge of the situation.
They sent a courier (DHL) to my house, free of charge, the very next day.
3 days after they were received by them, I was told they were fixed and ready to go back.
And they were dropped at my house by the same courier, again, free of charge.
I am truly satisfied by their corrective measures and the way they handled things.
Try to beat that. They stand by their product and do still honor their guarantee, contrary to many others that say 'ah we're so sorry' and then tell you to go pond sand.
That is also what you're buying into when you purchase a new White Spot. A 2 year warranty.
They will fix the problem or replace the pipe. And they won't make you wait.
Now.
Next time you wanna talk about the White Spot, know what you're talking about.
Or shush it.

Status
Not open for further replies.