PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
The white rod might've absorbed tars through the stem, so, that darkened colour may be throughout the length of the dot. No amount of polishing will get it white if that's the case.
I was afraid of going any more on it because of that. I am close to makeing it uneven with the shank but if im gonna replace the dot that gives me something to test my skills with.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
As it's your pipe, you're free to leave the dot or replace it.

As a collector, I'd rather have it 100% original Dunhill if possible, even if it means the dot is no longer white; keep smoking it and you may end up with the legendary "black dot"! Unhappy not having a white dot? It just gives you a good reason to find another pipe that has one.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Dunhill never used ivory. Those early pieces were extremely flammable celluloid
Just going off the honesty of a company are we to believe that a company that will put diamonds in a freaking lighter might go cheap in other areas? Maby. But if you love pipes be it made of corn or gold as long as it's yours. If You bought it with hard earned money or Gramps trust fund money. As long as it your pipe it should have a sentimental value to you and that's worth more then you think. Even if the pipe might blow up in your face?????

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just going off the honesty of a company are we to believe that a company that will put diamonds in a freaking lighter might go cheap in other areas?
Ivory is too hard to mill to make a pin that small. Dunhill never made claim to them being ivory, and it was even disproven here a few years ago.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have a few Dunhill pipes at home in the U.K in storage that I was given +30 years ago. Every time one of my Mothers friends husbands kicked off I would always wind up with a load of old pipes when they cleared out his things. I gave David Shain a bunch of Dunhill's when my ex-wife's Father snuffed it about five years ago and he thought Christmas had come early. I guess you are buying the name. I think I have smoked a Dunhill once or twice and I am sure they are wonderful pipes but I have will always remain an ancient meerschaum man so they are just not my thing.

Last edited:

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
As it's your pipe, you're free to leave the dot or replace it.

As a collector, I'd rather have it 100% original Dunhill if possible, even if it means the dot is no longer white; keep smoking it and you may end up with the legendary "black dot"! Unhappy not having a white dot? It just gives you a good reason to find another pipe that has one.
Ya, I don't think I will unless I get a real urge. That black dot sounds intriguing ? I might have to shoot for that. As it's rare and highly desirable.????

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Ivory is too hard to mill to make a pin that small. Dunhill never made claim to them being ivory, and it was even disproven here a few years ago.

I'm sure I read that awhile back. I kinda had a hard time believing it in the first place because that is so dang tiny they would crumble and chip and what not. But Castello does claim to have used ivory back in the day. Is that real ivory or no because now I'm super curious ?

Jun 25, 2021
England
I have have about 26 James Barber pipes made by Dunhill.
Only didn't make the grade because of cosmetic flaws, though it's hard to tell sometimes.
There is a big step up in smoking enjoyment with a Dunhill compared to other pipes that I've ever smoked at least, total pleasure, and the shapes are so classic.
I paid just 34 95 each here in the UK.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I picked one up recently that was pretty darn old but unsmoked and paid less than what I've been seeing for prices for similar age and condition - only thing I could figure was it was a pot and maybe that was holding back it's value? I didn't care and didn't buy it as an investment. I actually wanted a pot.

It's a darn nice pipe and draw is wonderful - however, @Davy Jones, I've even got ....... Peterson's (!) that perform just as nicely! :) puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
"Positional goods are goods valued only by how they are distributed among the population, not by how many of them there are available in total (as would be the case with other consumer goods). The source of greater worth of positional goods is their desirability as a status symbol, which usually results in them greatly exceeding the value of comparable goods." puffy

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Dunhills are great pipes and I can see why people will pay the prices they do. I prefer Sasieni but of the 20-30 dunhills I have had they have all been great with excellent quality. I think some snub them which in my opinion is no different then those who snub corn cobs. Pipe snobs. They take every opportunity to tell you how dunhill is nothing special. They are one of the few quality pipes that are still being produced 100 years later and people love them. Nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.