PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Ramble on? I believe all I said that pertained to NJ at all was that I had no desire to visit Newark. Is that so bad?

As far as NYC, my single comment was from first hand knowledge, having visited my sister there many times over a dozen years. All I said was I wouldn’t want to live there (or any large urban center, to be fair) and that it smelled garbagey, which after visiting many times I believe is an opinion I am entitled to formulate.

To be fair to both places, NJ has some beautiful country outside the urban centers, we have good friends who live there that we visit and the farm country is quite nice. NYC’s benefits need little explanation, as the concentration of restaurants, entertainment, museums, etc. is quite high. For me, it just doesn’t outweigh the claustrophobic towering concrete, high concentration of people, and distinct lack of mountains, rivers, wildlife, and wide open country.

I apologize if I offended you with my one short comment on each area, they both were more directed at large urban centers in general and not necessarily specific to those two, although obviously, no one had any way of knowing that since they were the only two in discussion, so I apologize.

Apology accepted and appreciate and on my end sorry for my exaggerated reaction. New Jersey use to have a lot of great farm land but unfortunately most was lost to overdevelopment. Fortunately for your sister’s sake based on this thread nyc has one less sleazy dude empowered by money...too bad for jersey though.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Apology accepted and appreciate and on my end sorry for my exaggerated reaction. New Jersey use to have a lot of great farm land but unfortunately most was lost to overdevelopment. Fortunately for your sister’s sake based on this thread nyc has one less sleazy dude empowered by money...too bad for jersey though.
No prob, totally get it. I certainly can get a little ticked myself when people toss around stereotypes about AK, of which there are many, since most people’s understanding of the state comes from fake, scripted “reality” shows, haha.

Sucks to lose that wide open space. Inevitable expansion here in Alaska is the grand nightmare for many residents.

Reactions: anotherbob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well if the show was a total bust due to the recent pandemic I would imagine the get together at J&R Cigar on route 9 that is usual after the show must have been an echo chamber. What a shame but I guess people are avoiding these types of events right now. I hope this doesn't impact the Chicago show too badly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and sfduke
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I think many of us love to see the pics. Pipe smokers need to be seen by the public so we aren't seen as some kind of freaks. I feel the more shows the better. I wish these smokers a great show. I can't wait to see pics. Living in the Colorado mtns, I don't have the opportunity to go to any of the shows without great effort.
I live in southern Illinois and it take great effort for my wife to make me go to town

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well if the show was a total bust due to the recent pandemic I would imagine the get together at J&R Cigar on route 9 that is usual after the show must have been an echo chamber. What a shame but I guess people are avoiding these types of events right now. I hope this doesn't impact the Chicago show too badly.

I was wondering the same about JR Cigars, what their business was like.

Here a blast from the past, 2017, when I picked up a beautiful and rare GBD at the show.

Reactions: Bengel

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
Well, I was originally supposed to go but the situation is serious.
The show should have been canceled and I am really afraid this will happen to Chicago too.
Big big events (not pipe related) planned for late summer have already been canceled.
This will definitely be a weird year.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Given the pace at which the pandemic is spreading and actions are being implemented, Chicago is likely dead and doesn’t yet know it.
If you’re over 60, a smoker with compromised lungs and planning to attend, ask yourself if you’re suicidal.

I would add..."If you’re over 60, a smoker with compromised lungs and planning to attend, ask yourself if you’re suicidal".

This is a serious illness for anyone over 65 and especially if you have lung issues, diabetes, weight issues, hyper tension, blood pressure etc. Super contagious. Wash you hands. Don't f___ with this virus if you can avoid it. Ohio is projecting 40% of the State population to get this thing. That's a lot of funerals.

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
I would add..."If you’re over 60, a smoker with compromised lungs and planning to attend, ask yourself if you’re suicidal".

This is a serious illness for anyone over 65 and especially if you have lung issues, diabetes, weight issues, hyper tension, blood pressure etc. Super contagious. Wash you hands. Don't f___ with this virus if you can avoid it. Ohio is projecting 40% of the State population to get this thing. That's a lot of funerals.

it is actually a serious illness for everybody. When they talk about “mild symptoms” they are including pneumonia which, in normal times, it is not considered “mild” by any mean.
Be careful you all,I am following the recommendations hope everybody is doing it as well

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Why this particular outbreak is particularly concerning is that many carriers don’t present with symptoms, making it difficult to track. This is one sneaky virus.
Each person was infecting something like 2.8 other people before the Emergency was declared. All of these shutdowns are to try and dramatically reduce the infection rates to eliminate the big spike that could overwhelm the healthcare system. It's math.

I'm obviously a city guy and it's downright weird out there. Nobody is moving. I assume SoCal is the same. Cali has it better than most considering 90% of the workforce can switch to home pretty easily. In the manufacturing States, it's far more difficult. I imagine that Hollywood is going to take a hit.

Reactions: Bengel and Bowie

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
If you’re over 60 and planning to attend, ask yourself if you’re suicidal.

They won't have the chance. The show will almost certainly be canceled from state regulation. Governor Pritzker is moving to close bars and restaurants as well as public events of more than 250 people

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like condor' I wonder if the show went ahead or cancelled, and if it went ahead, how was attendance? I think events are pretty much on hold for a while. I'm watching for word on the N.C./TAPS show. The N.C. governor has declared a state emergency, and the show is at the state fairgrounds, so perhaps it will be postponed, but I haven't heard.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Lots of empty tables and low attendance but those who came seemed to have a good time and were in good spirits. My gang enjoyed two nights of smoke filled fun together in a comfortably crowded smoke filled room doing what we love to do with people who share our passion for pipes. I have no regrets for attending despite the situation. :geek:

Status
Not open for further replies.