PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looked rough, Patrick Grant, a NYC club member posted some photos. Most vendors cancelled, I guess not surprisingly.

89712801_3867626753255076_879818196545175552_n.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: BROBS

briarfriar

Can't Leave
To address the original question: The show today suffered from many last minute cancellations by the vendors. I was told there had been so many vendors booked that extra tables had to be moved into the room, but by showtime, the tables were taken out. I think I counted six or seven vendors open for business. Hardly anyone in attendance from noon to 2 p.m.

That's my photo above showing the empty tables, and that's actually what most of the room looked like. Vendors present included Joe Skoda, Steve Monjure, Nathan "Greywoodie" Davis, and several more.

I'm glad the show wasn't cancelled, but I feel bad for the vendors who made the trip. I hope they covered travel expenses.

Jay

Jan 27, 2020
I think this post was supposed to be related to the "New York" pipe show in Newark, N.J. Anyone with powers of observation has extreme views (some of us both negative and positive) about NYC and NJ, but some of us may want to go to this pipe show. Out of my range. Oddly, the Garden State has some beautiful country outside the chemical factory patch and several of its more ominous urban areas. I had a mentor who moved to the East Side in NYC and was there for years until the snow caved in the ceiling of his apartment's roof, injured him, and he litigated for years, won, and retired to New Mexico. Most confusing, when I knew him at a university campus in the Midwest years before, he thought NYC was a terrible place. He was an interesting soul, if somewhat dangerous. Now departed.

Yes, I’m from NJ originally and have lived in NYC for over 20 years. Interesting when people feel the need to comment about places they have little first hand knowledge of, like if I were to base my opinions of Alaska on the reports of meth use or whatever in Anchorage and then ramble on about them in a thread about a pipe show there.

Jan 27, 2020
it's a lot nicer then it used to be. Honestly it used to be one of the places even hippies thought you'd be stupid going there unarmed. Seriously it's a lot more upscale, clean, and safe then it was back in the day. Though there was a polish butchers there that had great meats.

Well, you can go to great Brazilians or Portuguese butchers there now if you want, some Polish butchers are now a bit south in Linden though.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I worked in and around the Newark area for almost 20 years. I kept lists for my trips and tried to visit as many regional restaurants as possible. I did make all five of these, and more in less desirable parts of town...

Jan 27, 2020
I worked in and around the Newark area for almost 20 years. I kept lists for my trips and tried to visit as many regional restaurants as possible. I did make all five of these, and more in less desirable parts of town...

Next time try the Basque restaurant Casa Vasca which isn’t on that list if you haven’t already. I’ve stumbled to the path train in Newark drunk at a rather late hour many times over the years without the slightest issue, but I don’t look like a rube so mileage may vary...

Reactions: anotherbob

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m really bummed for both the vendors and the pipe smokers the attendance was so bad. Nobody’s fault and totally understandable but still a shame.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I think this post was supposed to be related to the "New York" pipe show in Newark, N.J. Anyone with powers of observation has extreme views (some of us both negative and positive) about NYC and NJ, but some of us may want to go to this pipe show. Out of my range. Oddly, the Garden State has some beautiful country outside the chemical factory patch and several of its more ominous urban areas. I had a mentor who moved to the East Side in NYC and was there for years until the snow caved in the ceiling of his apartment's roof, injured him, and he litigated for years, won, and retired to New Mexico. Most confusing, when I knew him at a university campus in the Midwest years before, he thought NYC was a terrible place. He was an interesting soul, if somewhat dangerous. Now departed.

This is quite true, we have friends who live outside the city in New Jersey that we have visited and it is actually some very nice countryside, beautiful farm country.

It’s funny when we are there, I usually take the train into NYC to visit my sister, and it only takes a few hours in Manhattan for me to start wishing I was back in Jersey, hahaha. Quite the opposite of the way the relationship between the two is often portrayed in the media.

But yes, the urban centers in either state, I could do without, but I’m not a huge fan of urban centers anywhere.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yes, I’m from NJ originally and have lived in NYC for over 20 years. Interesting when people feel the need to comment about places they have little first hand knowledge of, like if I were to base my opinions of Alaska on the reports of meth use or whatever in Anchorage and then ramble on about them in a thread about a pipe show there.
Ramble on? I believe all I said that pertained to NJ at all was that I had no desire to visit Newark. Is that so bad?

As far as NYC, my single comment was from first hand knowledge, having visited my sister there many times over a dozen years. All I said was I wouldn’t want to live there (or any large urban center, to be fair) and that it smelled garbagey, which after visiting many times I believe is an opinion I am entitled to formulate.

To be fair to both places, NJ has some beautiful country outside the urban centers, we have good friends who live there that we visit and the farm country is quite nice. NYC’s benefits need little explanation, as the concentration of restaurants, entertainment, museums, etc. is quite high. For me, it just doesn’t outweigh the claustrophobic towering concrete, high concentration of people, and distinct lack of mountains, rivers, wildlife, and wide open country.

I apologize if I offended you with my one short comment on each area, they both were more directed at large urban centers in general and not necessarily specific to those two, although obviously, no one had any way of knowing that since they were the only two in discussion, so I apologize.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’m really bummed for both the vendors and the pipe smokers the attendance was so bad. Nobody’s fault and totally understandable but still a shame.
Yeah seeing the pics really makes it real. Kind of sucks for everyone involved, but kudos to the venders that showed up so there was at least something for folks that made it out.

Those that didn’t, also totally understandable. Just a mean, cold blooded bummer either way:(

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.