PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
100% matches! There are pros and cons. Biggest con being Wind (can be a mother to light on even a slightly windy day).
But there’s the convenience of a lower flame light, and more manageable/control (at least for me)

To avoid flare-up; I only keep the match down near the bowl on the inhale, and remove before exhale. This negates the possibility of flare-up due to the change in direction of oxygen. Prevents rim char.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
As I’m not in the states, whichever direction I could point you in would be of little use I fear.
Don’t feel too bad though, Swan Vesta changed to a ‘safety match’ 3-4 years ago. Still a good match, just not as ‘exciting’ lol.
That's a bummer, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Guess I'll be sticking with my Arangos for awhile yet.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I’ve been using a hemp wick lighter and it works really really well. Not only is it easy for relights further down inside the bowl, but it doesn’t impart the taste of butane or lighter fuel to the tobacco.

I knew that people liked these because the wicks burn at a low temperature and thus don’t scorch the tobacco but I find they work well from a practical standpoint too.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I’ve been using a hemp wick lighter and it works really really well. Not only is it easy for relights further down inside the bowl, but it doesn’t impart the taste of butane or lighter fuel to the tobacco.

I knew that people liked these because the wicks burn at a low temperature and thus don’t scorch the tobacco but I find they work well from a practical standpoint too.
I like using loose hemp wick. I can be real precise where I put the flame and it’s as soft of flame as you can get. They are also good for milking the last little bit from a Bic. Like when it’s almost empty and emits a flame that is too low to light a pipe. You can transfer the flame to the cord. I’ve been milking an essentialy dead bic for 3 weeks now.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I use matches when I'm smoking indoors or if it's not windy. I prefer to use matches but I find that carrying a box of matches and the disposal of said matches is a bit more cumbersome than just using a lighter. That's not really a good excuse at all so maybe I'll try to go back to using matches exclusively.

Reactions: edger and jb235

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Maybe a little late to this party, but I use matches almost all the time. But I dont smoke everyday. And I use the Diamond kitchen matches. They work and if there is wind I still use them just use two and cover with me hand after striking. I do have a zippo and used it the other day for the first time in a long time and it worked fine, but matches just seem to work better for me.

Reactions: jb235

Karrot2001

Lurker
Nov 10, 2022
Hey, firstly I used a lighter to make a tobacco burn, now I just discovered the simple matches are very unique for me personally to light up tobacco. What about you?
Matches all the way, I’ve tried different lighters but seems they all burn to deep on initial light, haven’t noticed any odd flavors but my tobacco definitely smokes better with matches.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't use matches much. I prefer a torch for cigars and an I.M. Corona lighter for the pipe. It might be different if we could get "strike anywhere" matches.

chellams

Lurker
Sep 23, 2022
South Carolina
I use matches quite regularly, especially if I’m at a cigar/pipe shop or otherwise smoking indoors. Outdoors I use various butane soft flame lighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.