PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Found a box of diamond brand wood matches I had bought a while and decided to try them since it wasn't windy outside that day. Got to say I'm not a fan at all. Could definitely taste what I could best describe as burning notebook paper. Yes after lighting the match I gave it 10 secs or so for the sulfur smell to burn away. I'll stick with my zippo. I actually don't mind the tiny bit of lighter fluid taste I get from it.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Found a box of diamond brand wood matches I had bought a while and decided to try them since it wasn't windy outside that day. Got to say I'm not a fan at all. Could definitely taste what I could best describe as burning notebook paper. Yes after lighting the match I gave it 10 secs or so for the sulfur smell to burn away. I'll stick with my zippo. I actually don't mind the tiny bit of lighter fluid taste I get from it.
That's why you want matches meant for tobacco consumption. Diamonds are dirt cheap and will flavor your tobacco with that nastiness you just described. Good cigar matches cost more, but IMO, are very much worth it. Another forum member here said he would do his false lights with the matches, and do quick follow up relights with his zippo. It's the same method I employ also, and I can't recommend it enough, weather permitting, of course.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
I used to use matches for my cigars but never tried with my pipe. I admire those who are talented enough to be able to use matches—-especially one—-to light their pipe!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I started using wooden matches (Diamond) about 8 years ago, and never looked back. Even on a breezy day, outside, I've become adept at lighting with a match.

I haven't had tongue burn since.
last night I proved that I can use matches in a very strong wind as long as the wind isn't acting like a jerk (like it did that afternoon) and keeps blowing from one general direction. Had the kind of wind that will push you around a bit that makes you feel like you're running through water. Noticed it's actually easier to make a hand wind screen with matches since you can use both your hands for it. Slightly awkward at first but if I was using a zippo last night I would have not smoked.

Dec 6, 2022
Been using disposable bupane lighters since I got tired of filling my zippo every other day but I've gotten good enough at stoking the pipe that I know I could comfortably leave the lighter in the porch to go on my walk and the pipe will go out when the dottle is all burned down anyways. I might make the change to fireside matches if they can hold a flame beyond my "false" light. It might actually be more convenient and less wasteful.

Reactions: edger

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
I guess that like most of us here the match is part of the enshrined process of pipe smoking. That being said I will defer to a butane of old school zippo on windy says.
There are times when you just have to bow to the elements if you want to smoke. ; )

Reactions: K.E. Powell
Status
Not open for further replies.