PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Not me. Southern France has mostly sunny winters. It can be chilly but you can plant yourself in the sun and be quite cozy in a sweater or jacket.
I like to smoke in my workshop inside with doors open. Im not sure that will happen in the winter.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I smoke year round, though I do have to smoke outdoors so my pipe smoking tends to go way down in the winter. It's kinda hard to relax and enjoy yourself outside during the winter in Minnesota, since the temperatures regularly get down to around -15°F, so I can only smoke for 10 or 15 minutes during the harsher parts of winter before I'm just too cold and have to head back inside.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
There seems to be more people here than I thought who would love to define my relationship dynamics for me. I smoke outside. I have since the late 90s when I enlisted and smoking was banned indoors in gov't buildings. I developed that habit. Since then I've been in houses where people smoke inside, and it always shows.

Between my personal preference of not having tobacco smoke in the house, respect for my wife (not fear or being henpecked), the 2 children I have still in grade school, and the fact that all 5 of them have been in a house fire leaving their lungs at 55-70% (but getting better year after year), yes I smoke outside even on days I'd rather be inside. Or at least so I thought. I learn much here. And today I learned that respect I had for my family is actually fear or some kind of bad sitcom level of henpecked. Personally, I can't wait to see how I live up to other people's ideals the next topic of  my family, my house, my habits, my preferences come up.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I agree. I prefer outside or my office with big french doors open. I dont relish sitting in a room full of smoke stinking up the whole place. A pipe isnt as bad as cigarettes but even when smoking those I was outside. They make the place reek. If you like it great. If everyone were the same it would be really boring.

Reactions: David D. Davidson
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Put away pipes in winter? I'd say my smoking doubles, though I am an inside smoker.
I love nothing more than making a fire each night and smoking in front of it with my favorite hot beverage (bean water or a tea). I also pull out the dark fired stuff I don't much care to smoke during the warm seasons. It's my favorite time of year

• Love
Reactions: David D. Davidson

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Where I live, summer is obnoxiously hot and winter is pleasantly mild. Smoking outdoors in winter is a thing of beauty.

Smoking is not healthy. Smoking indoors is not healthy or productive for the house. Can one smoke indoors? Of course. Should one smoke in doors? That is not for me to say. But stating that those who smoke outdoors are some how being pussy whipped says more about the person making the claim than the people who are smoking outdoors. It would be just as nuts for people who smoke outdoors to start piling on the people who smoke indoors by saying they are mindless self-serving idiots. It would be wrong to do that as well.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Here in the desert southwest, some of the few pipesters I know do the opposite, and don’t smoke a pipe much (or not at all) once overnight temps are in the nineties.
I have found in my brief journey that when the days are 100*+ that I rarely smoke English, Balkan, or aros, and stick with more VA blends.

Reactions: telescopes
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I smoke year-round. The only thing that dictates my smoking is my work schedule. I work a 4 on 4 off schedule, so the days I'm working I don't normally smoke. I do the majority of my smoke during my days off.

For me, October through March is my go-to season for smoking my pipes. I primarily smoke cigars from April through September. I'm lucky to have a heated shop that has been turned into a "Man-Cave," which allows me to smoke in comfort when it is cold outside.