Which Side of The Mouth?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
tried moving pipe around today. took some trial and error, but it seems it's not that uncomfortable. bit frustrating since the button will slide off on right side.

Reactions: bnichols23

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I am a lefty and clench on the right side of my mouth exclusively. I use my left hand to light my pipe every time. I am a weird lefty.

I played tennis with my left hand. Played basketball with my left. I played baseball as a lefty in the field but batted righty. I played golf as a righty. I played hockey as a righty. My best foot in soccer was my right. I kicked field goals and punts with my right foot. My stronger foot while skiing was my right. I played Lacrosse as a righty.
I've always considered myself a lefty even though I use my right more. Any sport where you throw or shoot a ball is left hand. Bat left. Golf left. Bowl right. Kick with my right leg. Racket sports are played with my right hand. Shoot pool with my right hand. Shoot a gun right handed. Eat right handed. Write right handed. Play drums left handed.
Definitely more things right handed.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I've always considered myself a lefty even though I use my right more. Any sport where you throw or shoot a ball is left hand. Bat left. Golf left. Bowl right. Kick with my right leg. Racket sports are played with my right hand. Shoot pool with my right hand. Shoot a gun right handed. Eat right handed. Write right handed. Play drums left handed.
Definitely more things right handed.

I guess it probably has to do with how you were taught. I think parents used to tolerate less left handed behavior. I considered urging my son to write right handed.. but ultimately decided not to interfere. Fathers before me might have... just because it looks painful to use your left hand. Notebook paper is made for right handed people. My dad taught me to hit lefty because it put me closer to first base. When he went looking for golf clubs the pawn shop didnt have any left hand sets, so a righty I was. Theres no telling how many of us are actually using the wrong hand for stuff because we have been trained that way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My intent is to shift the pipe from side to side, and I do, but I suspect, with no particular evidence, that my right-handedness prevails, and I smoke more on that side. But I don't keep track so as not to have an obsessive compulsive "thing" going on when I'm pursuing revery. And I strongly agree, let lefty kids follow their natural left-handedness.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I guess it probably has to do with how you were taught. I think parents used to tolerate less left handed behavior. I considered urging my son to write right handed.. but ultimately decided not to interfere. Fathers before me might have... just because it looks painful to use your left hand. Notebook paper is made for right handed people. My dad taught me to hit lefty because it put me closer to first base. When he went looking for golf clubs the pawn shop didnt have any left hand sets, so a righty I was. Theres no telling how many of us are actually using the wrong hand for stuff because we have been trained that way.
The thing is, nobody taught me to use either hand. That was what felt natural to me, so that's what I did. Although taking drum lessons were sometimes hard because the instructor always forgot I played Left and I had to setup the drums every time I showed up.:(

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I have it on good authority that Gandalf the Grey was both a ‘righty’ & lefty for his pipe while Gandalf the White is a lefty through & through

Hobbits are typically 'rightys' while Dwarves are ambidextrous (as we all know)

Make of that what you will :eek:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
thought about which is my dominant hand. it's definitely right. but i hold pipe with left. thought about why and i think it has to do with keeping my right hand free for relight and tamping.

Reactions: bnichols23

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I never gave much of a hang about right-handed even though teachers tried to make me write right. Didn't work, & the year after me in school (late 50s, early 60s) people said they weren't forced to. Left for me almost always.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I voted " I can't make up my mind ", but really I just consciously rotate it so I don't get some sort of muscular imbalance or tooth/gum/cheek issues. I instinctively want to always clench on my right side, though.

Reactions: bullet08
Status
Not open for further replies.