PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just birds for me...

Nice dogs! Birds can be a lot of fun.........@lawdawg here's a few doves for you ;) About 2 hours of shooting and never took a step. Knocked down 2100 between the two of us (1300 were mine :) Insanely fun. The limit on ducks there (Argentina) is a mere 75 per day. Absolutely crazy wingshooting. Bottom pic is Alaska with my daily bag on the plane elevator. Wingshooting not quite on the Argentina level, hahaha.

Last edited:

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Alaskan, I hear you. I don't eat anything much but elk, wild turkey, doves and pheasants that I have shot. Maybe a fish every now and then. Even though I raise cows and pigs, I don't eat beef or pork very often. The locals all share the bounty of our hunts too. Got to love rural living.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alaskan, I hear you. I don't eat anything much but elk, wild turkey, doves and pheasants that I have shot. Maybe a fish every now and then but even though I raise cows and pigs, I don't eat beef or pork very often. The locals all share the bounty of our hunts too. Got to love rural living.
Never had wild turkey (other than the bourbon of course). How does it compare to, say, a butterball?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's a real pile of doves! If you want any more than that, you'd have to go Patagonia. Our bag limit in Indiana is only around 15 per day or so, but 15 doves makes plenty of dove stew!

That is not Patagonia, but basically the same, its north central Argentina, 4 hours north of Cordoba. One of the craziest, funnest trips I've done. No limit on doves, 250 a day on pigeons, 75 a day on ducks, and 6 a day on Perdiz which you flush with pointers. Limited every day. Your thumbs tire out quickly from loading shells and you have to either tape them, or let the "bird boys" load it for you between blasts.... I also shot a 4 horned sheep there! My wife calls it the mutant troll beast.

Reactions: lawdawg

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Alaskan, wild turkey, the bird, is great cooked in a pressure cooker like an Instanpot. It does have a little more of a wild taste like pheasant but not nearly the difference as say between ground deer and ground beef.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alaskan, wild turkey, the bird, is great cooked in a pressure cooker like an Instanpot. It does have a little more of a wild taste like pheasant but not nearly the difference as say between ground deer and ground beef.
Good to know! I certainly like pheasant, so I imagine I'd be amenable.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just shoot them in the head with a 22 or 17HMR.
We don't have any here to shoot, but I'll keep it mind if I make my way down to the states and get the opportunity! Our best tasting gamebirds here are spruce hens, ptarmigan, and grouse. And then obviously ducks and geese. Spruce hens are my favorite, very chicken like and not gamey at all. In addition, they are plentiful and stupid as hell. You can stumble on a group of 5 or 6 and shoot them all without walking 100 yards. They only flush about 25 feet from a gun shot and then let you walk right back up to them again.

Great fun for the kiddos and their .22s. They especially love standing on the wings and pulling the legs to get the breasts out. It is just the COOLEST!!!! Hahaha.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016

Really?! Never even heard of anyone who hunts turkey this way. Everyone here hunts them with a tightly choked 12 gauge. Head shots, of course. No reason you couldn't use a small rifle round though. Regional variations in this kind of thing are funny, like how everyone in the South hunts squirrels, but hardly anybody north of the Mason Dixon even knows about squirrel hunting, or if they do they think it's just for teaching little kids.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Really?! Never even heard of anyone who hunts turkey this way. Everyone here hunts them with a tightly choked 12 gauge. Head shots, of course. No reason you couldn't use a small rifle round though. Regional variations in this kind of thing are funny, like how everyone in the South hunts squirrels, but hardly anybody north of the Mason Dixon even knows about squirrel hunting, or if they do they think it's just for teaching little kids.
This is what I thought, too, but didn't want to question anyone since my turkey hunting experience is entirely vicarious through the outdoor life channel, hahaha.

Regional variations are indeed funny. You should see the look on people's face here if you mention going after deer with shotgun, or hunting anything at all with a pistol.

To your note on squirrels, we have an awesome cookbook written by an old Alaskan homesteader in our kitchen that has recipes for squirrel, porcupine, beaver, and even lynx. I've heard porcupine is actually not bad. Amazing how resourceful some of the old trappers and the like were up here. I've seen some pretty cool tools in abandoned cabins too, shovels made out of old aviation gas cans, hinges made out of spruce roots (or tin flashing and a 60D nail), bear proof containers made out of old spigot handle avgas containers, wood hauling sleds made out of tin flashing, amazing stuff.5230

Last edited:
Reactions: lawdawg

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
That makes so much more sense. It's 12ga only here, no 22 or any other rifles allowed for turkey. Even with a tight choke things can get pretty shredded. I've never really understood it. We are allowed to shoot squirrels with 22 and I shoot half of those out of the trees. I've yet to shoot a turkey out of a tree so the safety aspect of the regulation escapes me. Plus my 3-1/2" super mag kicks like a mule!

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
This is what I thought, too, but didn't want to question anyone since my turkey hunting experience is entirely vicarious through the outdoor life channel, hahaha.

Regional variations are indeed funny. You should see the look on people's face here if you mention going after deer with shotgun, or hunting anything at all with a pistol.

To your note on squirrels, we have an awesome cookbook written by an old Alaskan homesteader in our kitchen that has recipes for squirrel, porcupine, beaver, and even lynx. I've heard porcupine is actually not bad. Amazing how resourceful some of the old trappers and the like were up here. I've seen some pretty cool tools in abandoned cabins too, shovels made out of old aviation gas cans, hinges made out of spruce roots (or tin flashing and a 60D nail), bear proof containers made out of old spigot handle avgas containers, wood hauling sleds made out of tin flashing, amazing stuff.View attachment 5230
Now that’s a door! ?

Reactions: trouttimes
Status
Not open for further replies.