PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hello All!

Inspired by the recent "What's your scene?" thread, I'd love to see how many folks on the forum love enjoying the outdoors and all it has to offer. So let's see those pictures of your favorite Hunting/Fishing/Hiking/Cabin, etc. memories! Feel free to share the story as well! I'll start with a couple of my mine: My biggest moose so far (67 Inches), a nice Rainbow Trout caught on a prince nymph, a decent Halibut from August (103lbs), A nice Deshka River King Salmon, and the amazing view of Denali from the deck of our Moose Camp.

So let's see those pics, pipers! Cheers!

Frank

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That Woodie is beautiful! The prettiest ducks we have here are Harlequins. Nice Pike, too. They are everywhere here but mostly little guys. Also big on taking my nephews hare hunting. Found a good curry recipe for them a few years back I love. We have assloads of snow geese here as well, but they are mostly illegal, breeding and what not.

I see them carboys in the background too, haha. We share some interests :)

Reactions: skeeter456

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY
That Woodie is beautiful! The prettiest ducks we have here are Harlequins. Nice Pike, too. They are everywhere here but mostly little guys. Also big on taking my nephews hare hunting. Found a good curry recipe for them a few years back I love. We have assloads of snow geese here as well, but they are mostly illegal, breeding and what not.

I see them carboys in the background too, haha. We share some interests :)

Haha as hank william jr. once said... a country boy can survive

Reactions: alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Last year.
View attachment 5120

Less than a month to go until the season starts again.

Nice buck! I wish they got that big here, but all we have is Sitka Blacktails. And even those are only on Kodiak, SE AK, and a few small islands in Prince William Sound. Small body, small antlers. No matter where you go it’s tough, steep, brushy hunting and they are some spooky critters. Here is a nice one from Kodiak. Did a DIY European mount on him.

Last edited:

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
That European mount turned out awesome. I'd like to try one of those as well. We are lucky to have lots of whitetail here in SE MN. Chronic wasting too... But that's another chapter of the story.

I've always wanted to visit Alaska some day. Your pictures aren't helping lol.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That European mount turned out awesome. I'd like to try one of those as well. We are lucky to have lots of whitetail here in SE MN. Chronic wasting too... But that's another chapter of the story.

I've always wanted to visit Alaska some day. Your pictures aren't helping lol.
Just spent some time visiting my wife’s family in Albert Lea, MN. Her sister lives an hour away, we saw 3 deer from her porch in like 30 minutes. I was going nuts, about to start throwing rocks, hahaha.
You should make it up at some point. Truly a Sportsmans paradise and beautiful place no matter what you’re into.

Reactions: bigtex

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Aw man, I so badly wish I had more to post here. I made a 45# recurve bow a few years back and I’ve been jonesing to learn to hunt with it and eat what I get, and well.... actually hunt haha I need more free time and someone willing to teach/take a newbie out for his first hunt. Someday... soon I hope.

Anyways here’s a shot of my bow in the hands of my wife doing some target practice at my father in laws place in CT.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Aw man, I so badly wish I had more to post here. I made a 45# recurve bow a few years back and I’ve been jonesing to learn to hunt with it and eat what I get, and well.... actually hunt haha I need more free time and someone willing to teach/take a newbie out for his first hunt. Someday... soon I hope.

Anyways here’s a shot of my bow in the hands of my wife doing some target practice at my father in laws place in CT.
View attachment 5157
Looks like a cool bow! Hope you get to take something with it soon! That meat will sure taste good :)

Reactions: lightxmyfire

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Here’s a few pics from mostly offshore trips with a couple bay/marsh trip photos as well. I fish at least 25 times a year or more!
Nice! I don’t even know what half of those are! Most of the offshore fishing we do here is halibut, rockfish, salmon, and of course, the big,ugly, and absolutely delicious dragons of the sea, Ling Cod:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Love it! I haven't been hunting in years and the only fishing I've done the last 8 years or so has been on small mountain water. Still, a 1-2 Lb trout feels like a monster on a 3 wt fly rod. puffy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Love it! I haven't been hunting in years and the only fishing I've done the last 8 years or so has been on small mountain water. Still, a 1-2 Lb trout feels like a monster on a 3 wt fly rod. puffy
Haha, well get back at it!!!!! And yeah its all relative. Little 16-20 inch grayling are one of my favorite fish on dry flies (mosquitos and griffiths gnats) and a 0 weight. The lake we land on at our moose camp is full of them, its one of my favorite things to do in the world. Killing time after a moose is down and hanging on the pole with a bowl on the water and denali in the background catching grayling after unpressured grayling on still water. Every time I’m there I almost hope I die right then.

Reactions: shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.