PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
210840-big.jpg
That's an interesting looking Scotch. I prefer scotch from the Speyside region. I'll have to see if I can find that one.

Since the virus has been preventing me from doing what I normally do - driving the wife (she doesn't drive) either shopping or crazy, I've been smoking an average of three bowls a day. Once in mid morning and twice between lunch and dinner.

I'm either sitting under the red maple tree in the front yard, under the two swamp oaks in the back yard or at the patio table under the umbrella. As the temperature has gotten slightly warmer, I have switched to gin or vodka tonics. Or rum and lemonade. Or Scotch.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's an interesting looking Scotch. I prefer scotch from the Speyside region. I'll have to see if I can find that one.

Since the virus has been preventing me from doing what I normally do - driving the wife (she doesn't drive) either shopping or crazy, I've been smoking an average of three bowls a day. Once in mid morning and twice between lunch and dinner.

I'm either sitting under the red maple tree in the front yard, under the two swamp oaks in the back yard or at the patio table under the umbrella. As the temperature has gotten slightly warmer, I have switched to gin or vodka tonics. Or rum and lemonade. Or Scotch.
I actually saw a bottle of that a few weeks ago at The Liquor Barn when I picked up my first bottle of Jefferson's Ocean.

Reactions: radrick96

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Before the craziness, I usually had a bowl in the morning before work, and one in the evening after dinner. Now that I’m working from home, it’s usually a couple bowls in the afternoon while I work on my laptop on the back porch.

I have an occasional pipe driving my Miata with the top down, but it’s mostly the back porch for me.

And why? There’s nothing more relaxing I can do with my clothes on.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
BC (before covid) I would stop at the local cigar lounge, about 15 min into my 1.25 hr drive, and then I’d have another on the back patio before bed. But lately, I haven’t really felt the need and have find my way onto the back patio a couple times a week.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Spending a half hour out on the front porch or out in the backyard with a pipe, just admiring and getting lost in the soothing visuals of nature, is exactly the thing that centers and relaxes me when work stresses me out.

I tend to do it in the morning or evening, and sometimes on my lunch break if I’ve got the time to spare.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
When...I know I will have no interruptions for the next half an hour. And no wind because the wind is a real bitch.

Why...to relax, usually while listening to a podcast or the wireless.

Where...on the porch, in the man cave or the camp if out hunting.

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
I smoke on the front porch because I don’t smoke in the house (have a young daughter). The view’s not great and it’s too hot to sit for long but that’s where I smoke. I’m hoping to set up a little table and do something with some plants and a fan to make it more comfortable.

I smoke because I enjoy it, and for the nicotine. There’s definitely much less of that in pipe tobacco than in cigarettes but on the other hand, I never smoked a cigarette for half an hour so it seems to even out. I’ve noticed I don’t seem to crave nicotine much now. It’s definitely still a factor but I can go hours without a smoke and not be on edge like I used to be.

The flavour I get from pipe tobacco has added a new dimension to my smoking too. I think initially, I was just looking for a less harmful way to smoke, plus I find pipes aesthetically pleasing. But now, I think I’d miss the flavour more than anything else, if I stopped.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Whenever I can get the chance and i feel like I want to (which isn't always all the time). I only smoke outside as my wife isn't the biggest fan (understatement) of my habit/hobby!

I find it very relaxing, I feel like it's a good way for me to slow down and take the time to sit and relax and although I don't like to admit it it's for the nicotine as well!

I was a long(ish) time smoker and then had an e-cigarette but found that to be very unpleasant after a while. I've not felt a nic hit from pipe smoking (yet) but it certainly makes me not crave cigarettes all the time. The bonuses have become the variety of flavours from each different tobacco I try and the ability for there to be lots of "stuff" that I can collect around it too!!

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
When working I may not smoke at all. On days off, I smoke 5-10 bowls depending on how much free time I have. I smoke indoors & outdoors, mostly with ☕️, reading, watching old movies. I live by night based on my work schedule...afternoon, evenings and early mornings are my time to indulge. Finally, I smoke a pipe cause it helps settle my mind, gives me pause & cause for reflection. And the flavor is usually delicious.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I smoke when the weather is nice and I'm in the mood. That is typically just 1-2x per week. My wife isn't a fan of this hobby, and during a pandemic that attacks the respiratory system, I am less inclined to smoke at home right in front of her (even outside). I have a nearby forest preserve where I can relax, find a place to sit, listen to some Sinatra, or the like, and reflect. I can't say I LOVE the taste of tobacco yet (I am still relatively new to this) but I do enjoy the nod to the past and the ritual involved with it all. I certainly am learning to appreciate the taste of different tobaccos, and it is super relaxing.

Last edited:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Normally just in the evening on the porch since I can't smoke inside (the wife is opposed to all things that bring men joy, pipes, motorcycles, guns, etc.) I'm nice weather I have a group of guys from church come over once a week for pipe &cigar night. I'm looking to start that up again soon!

During the lockdown, I be been taking full advantage by enjoying three times a day, at 10 1:30 and 7 ish. I'm gonna miss it when it's over.

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I don't smoke my pipe very often maybe once every week or two. For me it largely depends on a lot of things lining up. The weather has to be decent because I usually smoke outside on our swing chair with something nice to drink and a book, while I am doing simple yard work (like picking weeds simple), and sometimes while I go for a walk. I plan on smoking while fishing. I have a feeling I am going to have to figure out a plan for the winter/fall though as it is pretty crappy outside for a good portion of the year.

I smoke my pipe because It limits what I can do all at once, and it sort of forces me, mentally, to relax. I have a feeling that vitamin N helps with that as well. I tend to be a very high stress, over thinker that has a very hard time relaxing. I constantly have to be doing or thinking about something productive or I feel like I am wasting time. My pipe forces me mentally to primarily focus on it, focus on the flavour, mouth feel, cadence ext. Then I add another simple activity and that is about all I can do at once, no work from my cell phone, no planning the next project, no wondering what all the bad things that could result from my decisions, ext you get the point. I mean I still could do all those things as well as smoke my pipe but that isn't what I am going for with this.

I sort of mentally segment the pipe as relaxing time, and when things line up and I can have my relaxing time I am usually happier for the following days. This is the only reason my wife is on board, pretty sure if I ever come back inside grumpy or upset after my pipe she will throw all my stuff out when I am on a work trip hahaha Kidding, but she likes that I come back inside a little less high strung.

Heypat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2020
Shelby township Michigan, 48315
I typically have one bowl per evening with a bourbon to unwind the day and relax. Depending on the weather I am either on the deck overlooking the lake or in the heated garage. Very rarely I will smoke in the house but I do not care for the smell the next morning, so I avoid it.

I also like to have a bowl in one of my cobs when I cut the grass every week . It takes me A little longer to get it done but I enjoy it. :)

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Those are all good answers. Guess i should give an answer...

I usually pack one for walking the dogs I’m the morning. I have a wooded area and can let them off leash. Why? Because I enjoy the extra time to connect with nature since I’ve moved to a city. Can’t wait to have a small farm.

Second smoke has been by a fountain in the afternoons because i found a tree that casts just enough shade on the bench. Nobody else takes advantage and you shouldn’t waste a good view.

Third bowl is after dinner because i feel like it’s what a proper gentleman does after enjoying a meal with his woman. John Cleese did so in the Great Muppet Caper!

Last bowl is for the last dog walk before bed. Because nobody is out at that hour and i can be completely alone.

Thats been the routine I’ve worked out, but need to figure out which times are better for the different blends.

Reactions: Bowie

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My smoking has been increasing in the last month as the weather improves and I no longer have a commute. I am smoking a minimum of a bowl a day 3-5 days a week, often with 1 or 2 days being 2 bowls. I usually smoke just before supper or in the evening after supper. If the weather is unpleasant, I don’t smoke which can be weeks at a time in the winter.

Where I usually smoke is on the back deck, sometimes on the in-laws back deck and occasionally at the local cigar bar. It is the only one in Western Canada so we are fortunate to have it but I wonder if it will reopen after the pandemic. It had been open about 6 months or so before the pandemic shut things down.

Why I smoke includes many reasons, the ritual, enjoying the blend, relaxation, reflection, connection to an earlier time and my Dad (smoker) and great uncle (pipe smoker).

Reactions: Bowie and radrick96

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
When and Where: Evenings on my back patio. 1 bowl a day, occasionally two on a weekend. Really enjoy a quiet morning with coffee and a pipe. Any chance I get when in nature hiking or vacationing.

Why: I love the ritual of relaxation. I like to smoke. But not inhale. I love the artistry in pipe making. I like the variety of tobacco blends. I like a little bit that it’s a time honored tradition a manly thing to enjoy. I like the history behind many things pipe related.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I like to start off the day with a pipe and some coffee. Usually in the man cave but if the weather is nice and I'm not working then out back is always a nice option. Then usually a few more bowls before dinner. Usually at least 1 bowl after dinner and sometimes 2 or 3. It's a relaxing hobby for me and I don't think about it like the cigarettes or dip I grew up enjoying. Those were more a "pick your favorite brand and smoke a pack/dip a can a day." With all the options of flavors in different pipe tobaccos it seems like it's always an exploration of some new tobacco or new nuance of an old favorite.

Jan 27, 2020
Generally I have my first smoke sometime after lunch, perhaps as late as 3pm, before dinner which is about 6-6:30pm and while walking my dog before bed around 9:30-11pm. I either sit on a bench on a pretty busy street which is a 10min walk or more commonly the ledge in front of my building, which is nice as I’ve become familiar with random people in the neighborhood, at least the friendlier ones who typically are older black guys, rarely do the young trust fund types even make eye contact. I think I might try to eliminate the smoking with the dog at night as somehow it’s just not very enjoyable and seems To dry me out when I sleep.

My above is a routine is very much a product of covid though, I’ll see what smoking life is like when this finally resolved itself, whenever that might be...