PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
When and Where: Evenings on my back patio. 1 bowl a day, occasionally two on a weekend. Really enjoy a quiet morning with coffee and a pipe. Any chance I get when in nature hiking or vacationing.

Why: I love the ritual of relaxation. I like to smoke. But not inhale. I love the artistry in pipe making. I like the variety of tobacco blends. I like a little bit that it’s a time honored tradition a manly thing to enjoy. I like the history behind many things pipe related.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This... what jttnk said... exactly.

Reactions: jttnk and radrick96

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Early morning on my back patio with a large cup of coffee.I like to think,reflect, resolve problems,plan for the day.On nice days I might have two bowls and two coffees.I have a further bowl early evening on the patio relaxing watching nature.
I smoke for the variety of tastes that different blends bring.I also love pipes and the rituals that go with it.

Jan 5, 2020
I’ve found myself smoking my pipes more and more lately as 2 of my jobs have me working from home. At this point it’s pretty much whenever I’m home that I have a pipe going.

Reactions: radrick96

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
When: Pretty much from when my feet hit the ground. I am usually thinking about what will form todays pipe adventure. I usually make coffee, select the relevant pipe for the first half of the day and then slice up some Warrior Plug or Mick McQuaid Plug and smoke a bowl full whilst I have my coffee and check my 'Book of To Do' for the days tasks. Once I start work I rotate through various twists, Coniston Cut Plug, Grassmere and several G&H Plug type things. After lunch its RB Plug, Condor Plug and then more twist. Evenings consist of more RB or occasionally I smoke some Velvan Plug from a rather diminishing stash.
Where: In my office and just about anywhere else I can get away with smoking.
Why: Because masturbation became boring!

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Where?

Front porch or while walking around the block.

When?

Evenings after work and weekends if the weather is good. Even 0°c on a windless day is fine.

With cigars, it was 1 or 2 per month.

With the pipe, it is turning out to be 2 or 3 times per week.

Why?

Savouring a lovingly-grown and carefully-crafted tobacco is such a pleasure. It makes me happy, same as woodturning or eating freshly-baked bread or having a good conversation.

The pipe in particular requires a "meditative" regular cadence and tending the bowl gives a primal satisfaction similar to tending a bonfire.

Smoking a pipe or cigar forces me to sit down and do nothing except smoke, observe nature and let my mind roam.

It's a recipe for peace.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Most of my bowls are smoked at night, late, very late after work or on a weekend afternoon. I’m usually down in the Batcave (read my corner of the basement) at night or out in the backyard when it’s a weekend afternoon. Frequency is incredibly random, like 2-4 times a month, sometimes more if I’m lucky or just flat out determined.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My system has not changed in sometime. I get up and push the button for my coffee. My live in care taker sets it the night before which makes it easy.
I will then go to either my living room or back to my bedroom depending on how much pain I am in.
While I let the coffee brew I clean my pipes from the previous day.I use 2 BJ Long tapered extra fluffy for the stems and then 3-4 tapered bristle BJ Long cleaners in the shank and to get the mortise. A dab of Obidisian Stem Oil and they are ready to be put back in the wrack.
I then decide on what I feel like for my first three bowls of the day. I like setting up all three at once. I smoke 4-5 or 6 a day. Most of my pipes are group 4-5 and I can smoke a flake in one for a good 1.5-2 hours each.

After I am done with the first three then it is what ever the mood strikes. I have been pounding Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky the last couple of months. It began when I opened a 1997 100 gram tin. It was a revelation. I smoked that blend once a day till it was gone. I used one of my Radi Davis Billiards and a new to me hardly smoked Scott Thile Bulldog. They smoked that stuff so good I just hung with those.It wasn't long maybe 2 weeks later I cranked open a1998 Dark Strong Kentucky and it was us as good as the 1997. Sadly both are gone but I have some memories. I still gave one of the 1998 but decided to crack a 2006 version and honestly it is hard telling the difference. It also tastes great and the only think I could even nit pick is that it might not be quite as smooth but it is a really small difference I could be making it up in my head.
;
I normally have at least 20-25 blends that are open and available to smoke. I go through streaks like most people. I was on a streak smoking my 2007 Stonehaven then laid off for a month pr so. Now it is back in the rotation with the only 2 pipes it sees. Two Rad Davis Lovats.
I recently got on a kick of Fribourg & Treyer Vintage Flake in Scottie Piersel Billiard.

Lately I have been staying up watching how the rest of the world deals with the crisis so I could smoke 6 a day which seems to be happening most nights. I also play cards and Backgammon with my care taker and we have fun. My pipe smoking is never an issue with her as she vapes and smokes cigarettes here and there.
I have made a conscious decision that no matter the age, if I feel like smoking it I won't save it for some special day down the road.The only tin that is off limits is my last Three Nuns from around 2000

Now next time my younger son comes over in a week or I will have him unpack the 20 -35 boxes. There are at least 3-5 boxes with 100 tins,lots with 75, some 50, plenty of 25's and only a few with less than 25. They have been stored like this since 2014 I went through some physical problems and it was just easier to dump them where I did. The temp was perfect as was the humidity and no light.
When I get s done. I will report back.

• Wow
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I started with only in the evening after supper. During Covid it was several times a day. Now back to work and cant smoke in the factory so once or twice a day.
I smoke either in the easy chair or on the porch. It took me a few lessons of when not to smoke....ie dont smoke while trying to feed the cows or anything strenuous.
I smoke for the relaxation with a good whiskey, and as someone who chews tobacco my gums get a little raw now and then and need a break