PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Been pretty fortunate to come across some amazing, semi-rare stuff considering how short of a time I've been smoking a pipe. I still haven't come across Stonehaven or Penzance, but they're not exactly white whales for me. I guess some of that old toe-curling House of Sobranie stuff, but I'm surely not going to go through the hassle or dollars to scare some up. Too many good blends out there.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
McClelland's Old Dog & Scottish Woods. Truly unique blends, among the finest of their respective styles made.
Old Dog was originally an Ashton blend that McC started making when Ashton switched to their new lineup. OldChurch and a few others were on that list too.
I have a few bowls worth of the original Ashton old dog which I never really cared sitting around if you want to trade some unobtanium for unobtainium.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Used to be Frog Morton Cellar, now that it's not made anymore I'm sorry of rediscovering tobacco, right now the white whale is a blend i bag once several years ago that was out of this world, i have a thread about aros right now explaining it a bit. If I can find something like it, that would be fantastic.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
My white whale is my first pipe. I left it sitting on a park bench in Jackson Square in New Orleans back in the 90's. Pisses me off even now.
It is forgivable and understandable, given the Nola culture. Hopefully, you wandered into Muriel's on the square to lament the loss.

Reactions: logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It is forgivable and understandable, given the Nola culture. Hopefully, you wandered into Muriel's on the square to lament the loss.

I agree but it still hurt because it was my oldest pipe.

Muriel's didn't exist back when I lived in the Quarter. Harry's Corner on Dumaine was the place my girlfriend and I would hang out.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I agree but it still hurt because it was my oldest pipe.

Muriel's didn't exist back when I lived in the Quarter. Harry's Corner on Dumaine was the place my girlfriend and I would hang out.
Well, Lafitte's, then. Last time I was there, they were making fantastic hurricanes with real fruit juice. At 5 am.

Reactions: B_Rock and logs

teajeat

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
I've been content for long stretches with just bright virginia. That being said, I've always been a sucker for Dark Star.

Reactions: dcon

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I would kill for a few bowls of the original Balkan Sobranie.
It’s great, I got to smoke about a half tin from the late 70’s, it aged remarkably well but I think there are some Balkans on the current market that are just as good if not better. Save that killing for something else.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I'd like to find a match for the English blend from Vottis' pipe shop that used to be in Schenectady NY. Mr. Vottis (don't know which brother) sold me a 1-pound paint-can of it during the winter of '73-'74 when I was stationed at CoTP Albany.

None of the blends that I've tried in the past couple of years come anywhere near to the Lat content. Balkan Sassieni comes maybe a third of the way. C&D Atlas Balkan maybe 1/15th of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.