PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
It’s great, I got to smoke about a half tin from the late 70’s, it aged remarkably well but I think there are some Balkans on the current market that are just as good if not better. Save that killing for something else.
Anything currently available that reminds you of that? I know when you factor in the decades of age, it's hard to approximate. I'm just curious.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Anything currently available that reminds you of that? I know when you factor in the decades of age, it's hard to approximate. I'm just curious.
Nothing that really reminds me of that per say and granted I only had about a half a tin of the stuff, I personally think blends like Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture, Esoterica Margate and Smokers Haven Exotique have surpassed the Balkan Sobranie of old. I personally believe that with a little effort you can obtain some of the best English/Balkan’s that have ever been on the market. Most of those who smoked Balkan Sobranie regularly would vehemently disagree with me though and I understand that and that’s okay, I’m sure I’d have stronger feelings regarding it if I had a long love affair with it too but I certainly don’t think it’s the, “end all be all” of Balkan blends.

Edit to add Balkan Supreme, that stuff does kind of remind me of the Balkan Sobranie that I had.

Reactions: ram74

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Nothing that really reminds me of that per say and granted I only had about a half a tin of the stuff, I personally think blends like Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture, Esoterica Margate and Smokers Haven Exotique have surpassed the Balkan Sobranie of old. I personally believe that with a little effort you can obtain some of the best English/Balkan’s that have ever been on the market. Most of those who smoked Balkan Sobranie regularly would vehemently disagree with me though and I understand that and that’s okay, I’m sure I’d have stronger feelings regarding it if I had a long love affair with it too but I certainly don’t think it’s the, “end all be all” of Balkan blends.

Edit to add Balkan Supreme, that stuff does kind of remind me of the Balkan Sobranie that I had.
I have discovered Balkan Supreme and it is a choice blend. I'm adding a pound of it to orders here and there.

Is the SH Exotique in production anymore? I imagine being a Germain product it would be difficult to source.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have discovered Balkan Supreme and it is a choice blend. I'm adding a pound of it to orders here and there.

Is the SH Exotique in production anymore? I imagine being a Germain product it would be difficult to source.
Exotique is still produced as far as I know. It’s gone way up in price since I acquired my stash but Premal will notify you by email if you sign up to his newsletters, he will take pre-orders shortly before he knows he’s getting an order in. I recommend trying all the SH blends. It takes patients but it’s really not too hard to source. Good luck.

Reactions: pantsBoots

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm adding a pound of it to orders here and there.
Only a pound? rotf

20190329_000624.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whose is bigger? Whose is better stocked? Who has more unicorns and discontinued blends? Do you ever trade with each other?
Mine is at 360 pounds, her's 95 pounds. I have a lot of McClelland, she mainly likes burley. We got rid of most of our Esotericas last year as neither of us really cared for them. She's got about twenty five tins of Mac Baren Burley London blend prior to its discontinuation.

Reactions: pantsBoots

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013

I would agree with you that Skiff Mixture, Margate, Exotique Mixture are in the “best of what is currently made” category. I have cellared all three heavily. To me the best English\Balkan blends are from overseas. I would add Smokers Haven OBB, any English made by Germain’s, any thing made by Dan Tobacco, Red Rapparee and every HU blend. HU in particular for me has now taken the top spot in English\Balkan category because HU blends are new to me. HU really is a powerhouse, every blend is fantastic. I enjoy Vintage Syrian, HH Latakia Flake and Presbyterian Mixture also. Domestically the only blends that I enjoy as much are the McClelland oriental series which are no longer available and Peretti’s offerings but even those i have found are no longer as good since McClelland closed.

Reactions: hawky454
Status
Not open for further replies.