PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I've always worked in logistics and transportation. First job was being a charters and/or cargo owners representative, visiting ships and arranging everything from crew changes to taxis to the city and fetching drunken seaman, arranging customs formalities, producing loading documents. Then rolled on to a inside sales job and operations for shipping container carriers. My first jobs I didn't had long. Now working at a stevedore (loading, discharging, storing shipping containers) for 12 years, making a shift to a business analytics / business intelligence side of the business which I have found a interest in for the past few years.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
For the majority of my career, I mostly did freelance magazine illustration, character design and storyboards for television and film, and some graphic design. When the market crashed in 2008, combined with things shifting to the Internet, my illustration career came to a grinding halt. Craigslist single-handedly wiped out classified ads which accounted for 30% of advertising for newspapers and reduced editorial budgets as a result. Web kind of killed print media.

I had to reinvent my career and focused on graphic design (incorporating illustration in my book covers and CD and LP packages). I taught drawing part time at a college for a few years and ended up taking my first 9 to 5 gig four years ago doing graphic design for said college.

I still freelance doing magazine and book design and illustration—these projects tend to be less lucrative than previous ventures, but the projects often have more personal meaning and are satisfying on a creative level that is unsurpassed, for which I'm grateful.

tomasinomz

Lurker
Feb 18, 2022
In college, I studied economics, and I played soccer, and I thought I would become a soccer player, but if it didn't work out with soccer, I would become an economist. When I started to get into business and investing, I wanted to open my own business or company. I started to learn all about business and I was able to talk to professionals who told me a lot of interesting things. I was going to start my own small business in south dakota llc. It was explained to me that a company name search is required to see if the desired name is available or not. If the name is available, the business owner has to fill out a name reservation form and send it to the South Dakota Secretary of State. Also a large amount of paperwork is needed, through all these difficulties I became a small business owner.

Reactions: ak2000 and JOHN72
In college, I studied economics, and I played soccer, and I thought I would become a soccer player, but if it didn't work out with soccer, I would become an economist. When I started to get into business and investing, I wanted to open my own business or company. I started to learn all about business and I was able to talk to professionals who told me a lot of interesting things. I was going to start my own small business in south dakota llc. It was explained to me that a company name search is required to see if the desired name is available or not. If the name is available, the business owner has to fill out a name reservation form and send it to the South Dakota Secretary of State. Also a large amount of paperwork is needed, through all these difficulties I became a small business owner.
I also played soccer in college. I was on the first soccer team at my college. I had no idea how to play the game, because it was the first time all of us had been exposed to the sport, so it was like a class. Then, the third year, they gave scholarships to a bunch of Australians, and then we rode the bench.

Everyone makes such a big deal over paperwork. It's a tiny obstacle, like suffering thousands of whippings with wet spaghetti noodles. But, it's really no big deal. In getting my license to make wine was the most paperwork I had to do, but it wasn't difficult at all. Kudos for getting it done.
I just imagine somewhere, a warehouse, with all of the our documents along with the Ark of the Covenant.
1645196213522.png

toxatyt

Lurker
Feb 19, 2022
It's a shame that you didn't make it with soccer. I hope your business is going well now? I would also like to start my own business, but I don't think it will work out for me.