PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tomasinomz

Lurker
Feb 18, 2022
It's a shame that you didn't make it with soccer. I hope your business is going well now? I would also like to start my own business, but I don't think it will work out for me.
Yes, my business in south dakota is growing very well, at a slow pace, but growing. If I were you, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the business, because you should try it, talk to the experts and they will help you start a business. If you want to come to south dakota llc and try it out, it's not that hard to start a business here. Believe in yourself and go for your dream, you will succeed.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have worked since I was very young, apprentice mechanic of large tonnage trucks, bodywork and painting, agriculture in general, summers in a bakery at night, a few years in the army, professional driver of large tonnage vehicles in earth quarries, construction of civil works and highways, roads, asphalted, national and international transport of perishable goods throughout Europe and finally, private security, performing armed services.

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I'm the IT Team Leader at a start-up here in Munich. I've only been at this company for just over 6 months, but I've been in IT for over 30 years in one form or another. I've been a manager for about 8 years. I still "get my hands dirty" though and only have to do the management thing about 20% of the time. Which is good as it keeps me on my toes. ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I forgot to mention that I did private lending for over 20 years and only stopped doing it because of Covid. .

tklee, in September 1986 there was a 2 month contest and the winner got a trip to aruba. The rules were simple, one point for new and one point for used cars. I delivered out the doors 29 new the first month and 9 used. They then changed the rules to it was 2 points for used and 1 point for new. I had blown everyone away that first month so they made used cars 2 points and 1 point for new. I said fine and sold 14 used and 9 new .​

I crushed everyone so bad in that first month they all knew they were playing for second place.

Aruba was great and I learned how to scuba dive and I later got my Padi card in Bonaire a couple of years later. A month after I got back they made me a truck manager as their sales sucked. I took them from 35 in the zone of New England to number 3 and was making more than the GM. I put up numbers they never thought possible.

That 38 cars out the door is still a record to this day. My buddy is still the F&I Manager. He gets questioned all the time as people cannot believe it.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I forgot to mention that I did private lending for over 20 years and only stopped doing it because of Covid. .

tklee, in September 1986 there was a 2 month contest and the winner got a trip to aruba. The rules were simple, one point for new and one point for used cars. I delivered out the doors 29 new the first month and 9 used. They then changed the rules to it was 2 points for used and 1 point for new. I had blown everyone away that first month so they made used cars 2 points and 1 point for new. I said fine and sold 14 used and 9 new .​

I crushed everyone so bad in that first month they all knew they were playing for second place.

Aruba was great and I learned how to scuba dive and I later got my Padi card in Bonaire a couple of years later. A month after I got back they made me a truck manager as their sales sucked. I took them from 35 in the zone of New England to number 3 and was making more than the GM. I put up numbers they never thought possible.

That 38 cars out the door is still a record to this day. My buddy is still the F&I Manager. He gets questioned all the time as people cannot believe it.
That is impressive. How do you think you would do in todays “challenging “ market? I bet just as well. Selling is an art as well as a skill.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
That is impressive. How do you think you would do in todays “challenging “ market? I bet just as well. Selling is an art as well as a skill.
Dealerships can't keep cars on the lot in today's market. This is the result of several factors, including a chip shortage, production issues (such as lack of workers), shipping issues (due to increased costs and reduced amount of product), vehicles lasting longer and not being turned in as frequently, and an increase in sales due to financial assistance providing an increase of income to many families.

It boils down to supply and demand, which is currently heavy on the demand with little supply. For example, vehicle prices have ballooned to an all time high (and are about to, or just have, popped).

Another example is leases now have equity based on the purchase option and some dealerships are paying premiums to terminate a lease early (so they can sell the vehicle again). This concept was previously unheard of (equity in something you don't own, but have a right to possess temporarily).

As a result, I'd wager @cigrmaster would break his record in today's market. However, I'm not a gambler and if I could predict the future, I be making more money doing something else.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I'm a photographer. I do some work for the city on occasion, but most of my work comes from travel agencies. I do portrait work sometimes. It's a great job(though the covid situation put a dent in my work load!)that lets me travel a lot. I go by train whenever possible ~ my hobby is landscapes.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
True that. Volvo has lost it. It's Chinese now. Like the new design though.

Ford ruined it - changed the motor and changed the frame, which were the two things that set it apart. It's changed hands a time or two since then and it's just another problematic brand now. I would consider another mid 90s wagon, but they're just too hard to find with low mileage and you really need a second one for parts.

Reactions: JOHN72 and FurCoat

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I do IT for the school of computer science at a local university ...so, basically, I am like a lifeguard at an olympic swim meet... jk, they keep me hoppin'! I also have a side business playing instrumental guitar music at local breweries, restaurants, etc.