PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There's another identical thread 2 pages back, but I'll paste from it:
Yes, there have been occupation threads in the past on here. I started out working for Owens Corning Fiberglas at their R&D Center doing Refrigeration and HVAC, for 10 years. Then went to McDonnell Douglas Aircraft doing multi-craft maintenance work , everything from overhead cranes, backhoes, golf carts,chillers, etc. Then the Cold War ended and they shut it down after 5 years. Did regular Commercial HVAC work for 5 years, then hit my midlife crisis. I had always played Baroque trumpet and organ music and one day played in a Cathedral . I mentioned to the organist that there was a crap load of sound coming from the chamber, so he said to open the door and go stand in the middle of all the pipes. It changed my life. I then found an organ builder to work for about 7 years, unfortunately he was extremely bipolar and started running his fist through doors, throwing boards across the rooms, etc.
I then wasted another 7 years of my life sitting at a desk as an hvac estimator, working for a guy who had his dad give the business and he didn’t care wether or not the Sun came up.
My last year of work was assembling the 100lb, 12,15, and 18" subwoofers for my sons business "Stereo Integrity " www.stereointegrity.com

Then I got bit by fire ants causing my immune system to attack and Destroy 95 % of my nerves in my arms and legs so the nerves tells the muscles what to do so I lost about 70 % of the muscles in my arms and legs. I went from being a 58 year-old to a 95 year old physically. Had to quit working and died a quick financial death as I went 5 months with zero income. Within 4-5 months I couldn't open a bottle top, pick up a screw off of a table, unlock my car door. I had fall #32 last week, in the last 5 years.

As Forrest says, " It happens"
And here I always thought you lived on or around water. Things any better? I feel for you!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But you didn't say what you've done. . .I bet you've done quite a few interesting things.
Let's see...
Jeweler for about 10 years
Fine artist - work has been shown at SFMOMA, Dallas Museum of Art, and other places.
Matte painter - live action
Layout artist - live action and animation
Visual Effects Supervisor - live action
Camera operator - live action
2nd Unit Director - live action
Art Director - live action and animation
Storyboard artist - live action
Background painter - Animation
Background painting supervisor - Animation
Color designer - animation
Color supervisor - current gig - Harley Quinn Season 3
Art Department Supervisor - live action visual effects
Conceptual artist - live action and animation
colorist - theme park conceptual design
Restorationist - live action
Animation production manager
location scout - live action
Photographer - was a stringer for the Los Angeles Arts Council

and other stuff...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Let's see...
Jeweler for about 10 years
Fine artist - work has been shown at SFMOMA, Dallas Museum of Art, and other places.
Matte painter - live action
Layout artist - live action and animation
Visual Effects Supervisor - live action
Camera operator - live action
2nd Unit Director - live action
Art Director - live action and animation
Storyboard artist - live action
Background painter - Animation
Background painting supervisor - Animation
Color designer - animation
Color supervisor - current gig - Harley Quinn Season 3
Art Department Supervisor - live action visual effects
Conceptual artist - live action and animation
colorist - theme park conceptual design
Restorationist - live action
Animation production manager
location scout - live action
Photographer - was a stringer for the Los Angeles Arts Council

and other stuff...
I am going to assume other stuff means pimping. Or baking novelty cakes.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
My career for the last 5 years has involved moving 15-20 exceptionally tall men around the country in a 757. Prior to that, I spent 15 years getting movers and shakers around the country. And before that, I moved a crap ton of stuff on pallets around the world. As a much younger man, I sold jet fuel.
My area of expertise is moving people and things near and far. I have college degrees that have opened a few doors. The rest was up to me.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I don’t know, haven’t I already replied to this thread? Not sure but anyway, since the last few years I’ve been running a small scale organic farm with my girlfriend. Hence the username. Other than that I make music, not much money there, but it is a semi professional thing. I’ve pretty much done every kind of job under the sun and do some extras occasionally, but farming is the best one.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Exceedingly well. There's no shortage of market.
So you have to go volume to really break into a profit then? Well there are far worse things you could spend your time on. Next question! Do you get more pay for higher "quality" targets? Like would you get more for a reality t.v. star then most game show hosts? Or would they be the same? Another way to put it would you get more for Steve Harvey if you got him when he's writing or hosting?

Reactions: Reggie and kurtbob

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Like a few others, I've done different things for money, including military service, and have varying levels of education to accompany most of the endeavors... none of that matters however, because I currently attempt to catch greenbacks on Fridays after chasing them down the road all week in a semi-truck. Who knows what the future holds...