PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
I'm also Polish as far back as I know. Born in Canada, parents came here a couple years before I came along.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
German, German, and more German. Dad's side traces back to a tiny village outside of Köln, Germany, that actually bears the family surname... and pretty much all farmers for generations. Mom's side from more over Easton/Allentown/Bethlehem/NazarethPEE-AY way... and some family records trace from what were German language churches back in the day.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My son was interested in tracking our heritage a few years back and traced my side of the tree back to Clan Gibson, a subset of Clan Buchanan in Scotland. We also have some French and two different Native American tribes - Cherokee and Choctaw - as both of my great-grandmothers were full blooded Indian. He also did the DNA testing and found Norwegian, Danish and German. Our guess is some of our Scottish ancestors had Viking fathers.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Ukrainian on both sides.
Which likely means German, Polish, Mongolian, Swedish, Austrian, Hungarian or whoever else came trampling by over the centuries.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Mostly Welsh. Some German and English. Interestingly, my Mother's side of my family has been in the (now) U.S. for about 315 yrs. General (Mad) Anthony Wayne, hero of the War of 1812 and I are relatives. I have been told that this fact, combined with a few dollars entitles me to a cup of coffee most anywhere!
Mike S.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
British (every country), French, Italian, German, Swiss, Norwegian, etc. and so on. A bit of Native American and African blood. Basically a mutt. Find the number of recent immigrants (last few generations) very interesting. The latest arrivals in the lines of my family I have been able to trace was 1847. The latest of the one I can't seem to find could be no later than 1899. Earliest arrival for my non native family lines was 1635.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Father's family line is Ulster-Scots hailing from Ballintoy Northern Ireland arriving in North America in 1840. My maternal great- grandparents came from Norway.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Mother's side is English-Swiss. Her great great grandparents arrived in Canada in the 1860's I believe. Fathers side is Ukranian, they arrived here later. 1930s-40s. I wish I knew more of that story.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Father- Scotch-Irish

Mother- English
Most interested to read of Cornish ancestry here, as last night at dinner with friends, the fellow talked about his mining ancestors from Cornwall, emigrated to WI, mined there, hit the fields and streams of CA in 1849, and resettled in WI.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Pure English here, so basically mongrel!

Farming stock from Somerset, but I have lived in Wales for 30 years now.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Lithuanian, English, Irish, German... Scandinavian (thinking Viking invaders, but the percentage is pretty high).

I did a DNA test and started researching. It has become quite a hobby/quest. I get great satisfaction finding out about those who went before me.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
My father's mother was born in Vienna. She emigrated shortly after The Great War. The rest of the family are all Frisian.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Dad's side: Welch with some Irish
Mom's side: Irish and German
I am distantly related to Meriwether Lewis.
Now my pipe smoking lineage is my uncle on my dad's side was an all the time pipe smoker and my grandfather was a Copenhagen man who occasionally smoked a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.